• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Spring Test

RJH

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Well ..we usually test in fine increments but since this is trail sled 4 points is good enough.

Point 1 is installed length of about 73 mm the preload and 4 is 40.5 is the constant or fully compressed.

For those that read my posts ..we mentioned my sled lugged or died off..at the top...well by looking at the stock spring you can see it flattens out at the finish which would explain the problem.

Blue silver blue I think..STX 146 2016

So I tested few more I had and decided on the slightly stronger blue line spring

upload_2017-2-21_17-58-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-21_18-3-15.png
    upload_2017-2-21_18-3-15.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 137

Neat and simple setup! I run the OPO spring, but caught a glimpse of the OYO I believe it is that is pretty similar finish, but lower start.

Well ..we usually test in fine increments but since this is trail sled 4 points is good enough.

Point 1 is installed length of about 73 mm the preload and 4 is 40.5 is the constant or fully compressed.

For those that read my posts ..we mentioned my sled lugged or died off..at the top...well by looking at the stock spring you can see it flattens out at the finish which would explain the problem.

So I tested few more I had and decided on the slightly stronger blue line spring

View attachment 127081
What spring did you use for the blue line?

View attachment 127081
Nice setup, looks like you are hands on kind of person. Like Dalton springs myself, but they dont seem to cater to the Yamaha side of things very well.

I don't like to give out too much detail..but that stronger spring is a blue (white I think) blue

I always needed more than the single number pre load and constant..
If you measure a spring at 5 mm increments you can be surprised what some will do.

Ski doo race springs are insane..running over 450 pounds constant or more..

So all springs are good..the Yamaha ones have good memory thou.
Some aftermarket springs can sack in a week.

No matter the spring one still needs a reference point..like my red line above.
Spring X may not be the same as spring Y even thou the numbers are the same.

When we raced..I didn't to guess or take a chance the ..apples and apples about spring stuff..it was accurate.
If it was flat in the turns we could make an educated change..or spinning on start..educated..no guessing.

I don't like to give out too much detail..but that stronger spring is a blue (white I think) blue

I always needed more than the single number pre load and constant..
If you measure a spring at 5 mm increments you can be surprised what some will do.

Ski doo race springs are insane..running over 450 pounds constant or more..

So all springs are good..the Yamaha ones have good memory thou.
Some aftermarket springs can sack in a week.

No matter the spring one still needs a reference point..like my red line above.
Spring X may not be the same as spring Y even thou the numbers are the same.

When we raced..I didn't to guess or take a chance the ..apples and apples about spring stuff..it was accurate.
If it was flat in the turns we could make an educated change..or spinning on start..educated..no guessing.

Im a little confused here, if you dont want to give out information related to your testing, why bother posting anything.
Am i missing something?
Not looking to pick a fight, just trying to understand Lhe reasoning here.
The whole purpose of this site is a community sharing info. Just my opinion

Im a little confused here, if you dont want to give out information related to your testing, why bother posting anything.
Am i missing something?
Not looking to pick a fight, just trying to understand Lhe reasoning here.
The whole purpose of this site is a community sharing info. Just my opinion
He may not know. I have some springs that the color has come off. Could measure it though and with charts could surely match it.

He may not know. I have some springs that the color has come off. Could measure it though and with charts could surely match it.

I only commented because he posted, "i dont like to give out too much detail"
Which im struggeling to understand.
For me, if i dont want people knowing what i am doing or asking questions about what i have, i dont make posts about it on the internet.
Thats why i asked if i was missing something.
Seems just seems odd to put up a post with pics and then state you dont want to provide info on what you are doing.

Sorry, honestly, im not even that interested in what is being done here.
Im gonna go away before i start any problems

I only commented because he posted, "i dont like to give out too much detail"
Which im struggeling to understand.
For me, if i dont want people knowing what i am doing or asking questions about what i have, i dont make posts about it on the internet.
Thats why i asked if i was missing something.
Seems just seems odd to put up a post with pics and then state you dont want to provide info on what you are doing.

Sorry, honestly, im not even that interested in what is being done here.
Im gonna go away before i start any problems
Yes I agree that's kinda odd but hoping I learn something here.

LOL..the one thing that has changed with me is my attitude..I used to be a real nice guy...look...never piss off an old man ..we are already pissed off enough.

HUH...not what I expected from this site......I kinda guessed at the spring middle color as it was worn off...thats all..

Being really friggin old..I felt I was being left behind in the 4/ and long track technology.
I left sleds for many decades and have just got back into to about 3 years ago..

This is my journey.....all be it slow to figure things out.....STX 146...many who say it can't go fast .. LOL

Most just like to buy this kit or that kit..and have no clue why......
I don't...my factory race sleds were further engineered by us..the only thing left untouched was the engine.

Everything is same ol same ol just different words today...do you guys want to learn exchange and expand or just brag about what you bought?

I am showing tid bits on how to 'think" about this stuff..you can ask me and I will try and answer.

If you don't want to learn and use your own head to expand.. what I have to say then.... go away.

I have won at the highest level of racing.....
Racing was cruel back then..very competitive and very profitable....and very fast...when we got to the top in Canada..I set my goal on the USA as I had just smoked them in Peterborough by winning every heat and every final in 340 at Peterborough..440 was top 3 was not shifting right. We only raced 1 yr at each level so 3

In the wink of an eye I was stiffed and never got there...so I quit!!!!

Yamaha has some performance issues I will not discuss..some have found back door fixes..so good.
Making a sled fast is 100 little things ..there is no magic.

Maybe, down the road I will talk about tucking weights and why......or why the ramps are poor...or coupling ..or ???

I have a real good idea why the SW belts are blowing..same as mountain sleds a decade ago..blowing...but why should I tell.
I am making a setup up on my sled to see.

If you wanna go fast I charge $500.00 a weekend plus..for the full season

LOL..the one thing that has changed with me is my attitude..I used to be a real nice guy...look...never piss off an old man ..we are already pissed off enough.

HUH...not what I expected from this site......I kinda guessed at the spring middle color as it was worn off...thats all..

Being really friggin old..I felt I was being left behind in the 4/ and long track technology.
I left sleds for many decades and have just got back into to about 3 years ago..

This is my journey.....all be it slow to figure things out.....STX 146...many who say it can't go fast .. LOL

Most just like to buy this kit or that kit..and have no clue why......
I don't...my factory race sleds were further engineered by us..the only thing left untouched was the engine.

Everything is same ol same ol just different words today...do you guys want to learn exchange and expand or just brag about what you bought?

I am showing tid bits on how to 'think" about this stuff..you can ask me and I will try and answer.

If you don't want to learn and use your own head to expand.. what I have to say then.... go away.

I have won at the highest level of racing.....
Racing was cruel back then..very competitive and very profitable....and very fast...when we got to the top in Canada..I set my goal on the USA as I had just smoked them in Peterborough by winning every heat and every final in 340 at Peterborough..440 was top 3 was not shifting right. We only raced 1 yr at each level so 3

In the wink of an eye I was stiffed and never got there...so I quit!!!!

Yamaha has some performance issues I will not discuss..some have found back door fixes..so good.
Making a sled fast is 100 little things ..there is no magic.

Maybe, down the road I will talk about tucking weights and why......or why the ramps are poor...or coupling ..or ???

I have a real good idea why the SW belts are blowing..same as mountain sleds a decade ago..blowing...but why should I tell.
I am making a setup up on my sled to see.

If you wanna go fast I charge $500.00 a weekend plus..for the full season
Ha I expected that response from you. Good. I am patient will listen and ask questions. If you can handle it. My goal has been 110 GPS NA without cracking the motor. On snow true 100 on trail. Not there yet. Let us know when you get that.

View attachment 127081

Question regarding your specs on installed length and fully compressed, did you locate that info someplace or were those taken from your own measurements? I tried hard to locate that info and came up short so ended up doing my best to get the measurements and were almost spot on to the specs you listed. Where I'm at with my turbo, I have a stiff preload spring in but engagement isn't as high as I want it, playing with shims but obviously they affect total length so don't want the spring to bottom out before full shift. Just glad to see my numbers match up, didn't want to get too in depth with finding the right spring if I wasn't sure that my measurements weren't accurate.

View attachment 127081

Looks real close to my primary spring tester...

Back