• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need skis ASAP??

back country

Veteran
We have a ton of snow up here at the moment and on my last ice fishing trip I finally saw the problems with the venture lite stock skis. front end was buried all the time creating lots of snow and slush in side and in between the panels which soon froze and created other problems which is another story. Looking for ski options that will keep that front end up in the air. Don't do much trail riding and even when I do it's not like this machine is a speed demon so not too concerned with trail performance. Any opinions on an inexpensive ski or possibly ski skin maybe?? (I have never used them before)
Also best place to order from as I'm up here in canada although I can get things shipped to the border which is only an hour away. Thoughts?

That was a concern for me here last season. The least expensive option was the Yamaha ski skins. Easy installation using the original wear bars and a few rivets. A huge difference in floatation. Front end is always higher than the back in our deep powder now. Steering at any speed is slower, if that is possible. At the slowest speeds, as in just moving, it turns nicely without the front sliding sideways.

Yamaha mountain skis are a good choice as well. has a more agressive keel and is much wider than stock. it cost my brother $233.00 Canadian for the tubes, spacers, nuts, bolts and ski bottoms at local dealer. carbides, loops and the rest of the hardware should be on your stock skis.

let me know and I can look up all the part #'s if you want to go this way.

Wow, really that cheap? I was going to suggest some Slydog 8" Powderhounds but those are pricey at about $400 with carbides and mounts, not including shipping.

Yes it was. Of course that is plus tax. After looking at a bunch of ski options, I decided to get him what we knew would work and was a decent price.

If you are buying the whole thing ( all the parts). It probably is the same as the sly dogs but as you can re-use a bunch of hardware off of the stock skis it cheapens it up a bunch.

here is the parts list.

8FK-23711-00-BK SKI 1 -2
90105-10410-00 ! BOLT, FLANGE -2
95602-10200-00 NUT, U FLANGE -2
90387-10036-00 COLLAR -2
90387-16022-00 COLLAR -2
90387-16023-00 COLLAR -2

I have a very good working relationship with my dealer as I am in there 3-4 times per month so I do get a discount on pricing witch usually saves me the tax. part # are from Yamaha usa if going into a Canadian dealer.

Well I sure hope that you do have a good relationship with your dealer because I just checked at Yamaha Genuine Parts, which is based in Ontario and they seem to just quote the full price as I got these prices:

Qty Part Number Description Price Total
2 8FK-23711-00-BK SKI 1 112.95 225.90
2 8HR-F3754-00-00 COLLAR 1 3.38 6.76
2 90105-10410-00 BOLT FLANGE 8.77 17.54
2* 90387-10036-00 COLLAR 11.29 22.58
2* 90387-16022-00 COLLAR 4.52 9.04
2* 90387-16023-00 COLLAR 4.74 9.48
2* 90201-16022-00 WASHER PLATE 1.53 6.12
2 95602-10200-00 NUTSELF LOCKING 2.70 5.40
SubTotal

Only thing I added were the washers. Or instead of these * collars and washers, you could order Up Bushman's spindle kit and get all these and the spindle bushing to save your spindles. They're made of stainless steel so they'll last.
Premium spindle kits
While you're at it, get his
Steering bushing kit

As for a US supplier, I have ordered from PartsPitStop in the past. Best prices I have found online and great service. There is also Port Yamaha if you want to support a TY advertiser but the prices are slightly higher. Don't forget to take into account the lower value of our dollar and shipping charges. I have found it's no longer worth the trouble to do the border shipping thing anymore.

Yes same problem ! I just went with the Nytro powder skis . Just added the ski savers to them from burgstorm they worked great ! Will add the triples next year . Playing with the width set up now , then how to fit them onto my single trailer too wide !
Also my custom a arm protectors.

Attachments

• 20101107_07 - Copy.JPG
    20101107_07 - Copy.JPG
    459.5 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG-20140302-00032.jpg
    IMG-20140302-00032.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG-20140302-00033.jpg
    IMG-20140302-00033.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 293
back country said:
Thanks so much everybody, I love this site!!

Hey if you haven't bought skis yet I have a set of SLP's that should work great. I'm close to you and could deliver them to Winnipeg. I have another forum member that bought a bunch of parts from me so I have to run into the city to deliver. PM me if your interested.

very interested, just went to my dealership today to order but held off as they are charging $140 plus 13% tax just for the yamaha ski skins 7.5" wide. I'll PM you my number.

Mooseman said:
Wow, really that cheap? I was going to suggest some Slydog 8" Powderhounds but those are pricey at about $400 with carbides and mounts, not including shipping.

So I seem to have a lot of problems with my sled being tippy especially if I get one ski that dips off the trail (with my stock Yamaha skis in Venture lite).

Do you think the Slydogs would help with this without sacrificing much in the way of handling on the groomed trials? Is this a bolt on part? I see on their site they sell then to fit a Nytro.

Ski's ??

Seems to be no perfect all around Ski out there. Originally I added the Yamaha Skins to the stock 08 VL Ski's but no better on Groomed Trails. After adding Dual Carbides I had little less darting and reasonable flotation. In 2011 I went with Kimpex Arrow with Stock Carbide, big improvement . This year went with Shaper Bars and Arrows. Thing now corners like a Cat on Sandpaper but flotation terrible. Now looking to improve flotation with reasonable handling so wondering about C&A MTX or Boondock Extreme. Anyone have any experiences?

wacnstac said:
So I seem to have a lot of problems with my sled being tippy especially if I get one ski that dips off the trail (with my stock Yamaha skis in Venture lite).

Do you think the Slydogs would help with this without sacrificing much in the way of handling on the groomed trials? Is this a bolt on part? I see on their site they sell then to fit a Nytro.

They will certainly help as far as handling is concerned as the old stock skis are terrible. I don't know if your partial off-trail tippyness is caused by the ski sinking in the deep snow but if it is, then they should help keep the sled on top of the snow more.

I just have 6" wide TrailHounds and I don't find it tippy when I go off the trail. Maybe a bit of tweaking of the suspension might help. You can adjust the sway bar as per the attached image. You can also switch the bushings on the ski bolt around so that the skis sit more on the outside. Maybe adjust the spring preload up a bit. The A-arms should be sitting just a bit higher than horizontal.

Attachments

• Stablizer bar adjust.jpg
    Stablizer bar adjust.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 306
Yeah it usually starts by sinking one of the stock skis on one side too far into snow, then the a-arm catches the snow and all hell breaks loose. I have no idea what that diagram you posted is of Moose, but I know I need to get more familiar with that manual.

Back