• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New 16 MCX Viper build

machzrobbie

Expert
My new 16 Viper getting ready for rods and pistons for MCX 270 turbo. I'll have a PCV and ignition module on the sled, with POD300 for gauges. Planning on setting up to run meth for lots of boost!
IMG_3229.JPG
IMG_3252.JPG
IMG_3251.JPG

This is going to be good! Looking forward to it. Do you do the engine work yourself? If so really interested in cam timing process and seeing if you have the good or bad stock rods. Can you remove flywheel side cover to confirm that you can in fact see enough of the rods to identify them? Supposedly the ones that are carbon black are the good ones in the 16.5 motor like you have. Oh and your MachZ looks awesome!

This is going to be good! Looking forward to it. Do you do the engine work yourself? If so really interested in cam timing process and seeing if you have the good or bad stock rods. Can you remove flywheel side cover to confirm that you can in fact see enough of the rods to identify them? Supposedly the ones that are carbon black are the good ones in the 16.5 motor like you have. Oh and your MachZ looks awesome!

I will post what I find inside the motor as far as rods, I do most of my engine work myself - new rods carrillo rods going in - I wish that was my mach z - but I have too many sleds as it is(all yamaha's now except my son's 600 doo), That was on display at the Toronto sled show.

Will it be better with PCV and ignition module than mcx-gen5? Or it's because you planning run meth?

Will it be better with PCV and ignition module than mcx-gen5? Or it's because you planning run meth?

I'm actually using the MCX-gen5 for the secondary injectors right now and the power commander for the stock injectors to adjust off boost and to be able to run the ignition controller for fail safe. The plan with meth is run a rail safe and to trigger a map switch so if something goes south I can pull timing and dump fuel via the power commander. The pod300 is sweet for gauges too.

Got the motor out and all apart this weekend. Looks like my motor got heat treated rods. Will finish cleaning everything tonight and then prepare everything for re assembly with new rods and cp low compression pistons with Yamaha stock rings supplied by by Hurricane Performance.

IMG_3256.JPG
IMG_3255.JPG
IMG_3257.JPG

Cool build, Are you gonna put this on the trail at all or straight radar/race?

Looks like an awesome build! I saw that viper at the sled show and wondered who's it was. Your race sled was at Daves when I was there doing a dyno day with him. It's a wild set up.

Got the motor out and all apart this weekend. Looks like my motor got heat treated rods. Will finish cleaning everything tonight and then prepare everything for re assembly with new rods and cp low compression pistons with Yamaha stock rings supplied by by Hurricane Performance.

View attachment 122328 View attachment 122327 View attachment 122326
Thats the good rods for sure. Figures. How come you guys don't run the CP rings? I always thought they worked great and lasted forever.

I've personally had problems with aftermarket rings in the past. I've never used cp to comment, but have had very good luck sticking with Yamaha rings.
Yes me too. Wisecos were shot by the time they broke in! CP rings are noticably harder than Wiseco. They were reason I bought a endgap grinder and ditched the file which worked fine on the Wisecos. Things may have gotten better or worse in last 10years though. Always best to stick with what you trust though. Getting Harder with Yamaha to trust lately. I would pull out the old file and just try it on a ring to be sure.

Did you lay a beat down on Ernie? Or does the "best clutch guy in Ontario" have his SW dialled in lol

Back