• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

(New guy)1st 4 stroke Yamaha

West Charleston Vermont (Canadian bordor)
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 Yamaha RS Vector
Hello everyone just joined the site and also made a donation as well, I've been snowmobiling for about 40 some odd years now, and its been a 2 stroke life up until 2 weeks ago when that all changed and adopted a Yamaha vector (RS)

This machine was pretty much a turn key operation and has 4900 miles on it and is in mint condition all the way around, paid $2500 for it and yes it does run great!! >>Up until 2/18/17 that's also when it hit 5000k even on the speedo.

I don't know if this is hereditary with Yamahas or the 05's I believe the stator has given its last volt, I did test the stator coil resistance at the AC Magneto coupler and was getting only 0.9 & 0.8 Ohms (3 white wires + in middle)(- on either side)

You should be getting anywhere from 0.22 to 0.26 ohms, I also tested the stator output @ 5k rpm with new battery<(13.5 volt) in sled (used the jump leads to test with volt meter) and only tested out at 12.2 volts (with machine running)

Now I don't know the amount miles these stators are supposed to endure before they become ineffective, is it possible that the Rectifier or Magneto has gone south? therefor not letting the stator do its job. or a possible short in the harness?

I'm very mechanically inclined folks just looking for some input on this, now I know why the seller of the sled was so nice to me, but you how it is on private sales "AS IS AS SHOWN" what can I do...
whine.gif

If I have to do a stator change do have to pull the engine totally out of this machine? pleasure to meet you guys my name is Chris

Welcome to the site Chris! You'll find lots of "how to's" here that'll help you though various repairs. Yes the 05 era Vector's had stator issues and failures have been what I would call "fairly regular" over the years. Had to have mine changed on my 05 when it went out at around 3800 miles (if memory serves). Dealer did it under my extended warranty.

I can't say that I remember a thread here on somebody changing a stator, but I would let the SEARCH feature be your friend. As I just suggested on another thread, do you know how to send a message to another user? "Start a new conversation"...as it's called on this site. Send a message to guy that goes by "grizztracks"....he'll offer up some suggestions I'm sure. Same goes with "Hibshman25"...he's probably seen this before.

While you're in there, change your Cam Chain Tensioner as well. There is a sticky thread here that tells how to determine if you have "the bad colored one" or a good one. Grizztracks wrote it up and it's a very well done thread. I also had mine changed at my dealer (warranty).

Last edited:
Welcome to the site Chris! You'll find lots of "how to's" here that'll help you though various repairs. Yes the 05 era Vector's had stator issues and failures have been what I would call "fairly regular" over the years. Had to have mine changed on my 05 when it went out at around 3800 miles (if memory serves). Dealer did it under my extended warranty.

I can't say that I remember a thread here on somebody changing a stator, but I would let the SEARCH feature be your friend. As I just suggested on another thread, do you know how to send a message to another user? "Start a new conversation"...as it's called on this site. Send a message to guy that goes by "grizztracks"....he'll offer up some suggestions I'm sure. Same goes with "Hibshman25"...he's probably seen this before.

While you're in there, change your Cam Chain Tensioner as well. There is a sticky thread here that tells how to determine if you have "the bad colored one" or a good one. Grizztracks wrote it up and it's a very well done thread. I also had mine changed at my dealer (warranty).
Thank you for the reply I noticed a lot of folks reading but no one really saying much, for a while there I thought I had a bad write up on my issue. I did try the rectifier just today, got a used from Al's in Newport VT, but no luck looks like I will be changing that stator out after all. I have not had to use the message thing yet but I will give it a try thank you

There are ways to test and confirm that your stator is indeed not working. Grizztracks could tell it in his sleep I think. Again, use the search function. Remember, if you're going to tackle the job, change the cam chain tensioner while you're in there. Exhaust donuts (use the aftermarket copper ones...not the ones from Yamaha) as well.

Keep us apprised on your progress.

There are ways to test and confirm that your stator is indeed not working. Grizztracks could tell it in his sleep I think. Again, use the search function. Remember, if you're going to tackle the job, change the cam chain tensioner while you're in there. Exhaust donuts (use the aftermarket copper ones...not the ones from Yamaha) as well.

Keep us apprised on your progress.
Yes and I have tested the stator a few different ways and I can confirm that it is no good, I think I'm ok on that now I already have one on order and should have it by next Monday or so. But I will replace the cam chain tensioner as you have spoke of, I think the Exhaust donuts have already been done by the previous owner, and from what I have learned from the service tech I spoke with today I don't have to pull the engine to do this job at all.

May I ask if you ordered a new stator from Yamaha? Over the years some of the aftermarket ones have experienced early failures.

Hello everyone just joined the site and also made a donation as well, I've been snowmobiling for about 40 some odd years now, and its been a 2 stroke life up until 2 weeks ago when that all changed and adopted a Yamaha vector (RS)

This machine was pretty much a turn key operation and has 4900 miles on it and is in mint condition all the way around, paid $2500 for it and yes it does run great!! >>Up until 2/18/17 that's also when it hit 5000k even on the speedo.

I don't know if this is hereditary with Yamahas or the 05's I believe the stator has given its last volt, I did test the stator coil resistance at the AC Magneto coupler and was getting only 0.9 & 0.8 Ohms (3 white wires + in middle)(- on either side)

You should be getting anywhere from 0.22 to 0.26 ohms, I also tested the stator output @ 5k rpm with new battery<(13.5 volt) in sled (used the jump leads to test with volt meter) and only tested out at 12.2 volts (with machine running)

Now I don't know the amount miles these stators are supposed to endure before they become ineffective, is it possible that the Rectifier or Magneto has gone south? therefor not letting the stator do its job. or a possible short in the harness?

I'm very mechanically inclined folks just looking for some input on this, now I know why the seller of the sled was so nice to me, but you how it is on private sales "AS IS AS SHOWN" what can I do...
whine.gif

If I have to do a stator change do have to pull the engine totally out of this machine? pleasure to meet you guys my name is Chris

Welcome to the site!! its not a bad job to change the stater on this sled.. I have seen them go out on Vectors just as you stated.

yup my 05 went out as well , when you are in there its agood idea to update the cam chain tensioner. you don't have to pull the motor

Welcome to the site!! its not a bad job to change the stater on this sled.. I have seen them go out on Vectors just as you stated.
That's what the service tech told me @ Al's just take the cover off and you don't have to mess with the flywheel at all just remove the cover (after you drain the oil and remove the reservoir) it should not be that much of a big deal, I just wish the seller would have been straight with me about it, he probably didn't want to drop his price any more, where are the honest people?? these days

yup my 05 went out as well , when you are in there its agood idea to update the cam chain tensioner. you don't have to pull the motor
That's what I'm hearing a lot of people say, but also some are getting 10k out of them before they have to or decide to update them, I might ask for some help on that from our members here. I mean I am very mechanically inclined with GM engines In all but I heard updating that chain tensioner is a bit of work so...don't want to mess the timing up at all, because after all this my 1st 4 stroke!! and I don't want to chance anything

This is what I used on my cam chain tensioner that I did this fall.

http://ty4stroke.com/threads/cam-chain-tensioner-replacement-3-cylinder-engine-05-07.90826/

I used a big bolt to make the spacer tool. I'd be happy to send info on it
Come to think of it I did read or go to this link at one time thank you,it seems like a lot of work just to get that tensioner changed and or updated, this might be a job for the dealer but!!! that's not carved in stone I mean I'm all for a challenge, well if we get anymore snow after these warm temps here in northern Vt. I will put the new stator in and then tackle the Cam Chain Tensioner when the season ends, just remember the Yamaha only has 5k even on it and I don't plan on taking any trips this season, and we are getting late in the season as well so.. and I mostly just ride in the fields here (and there are many!! farm country!!) and a bit of trail riding as well but again nothing major..Chris

Back