• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Maine Muffler Law

sk-rx1

TY 4 Stroke Guru

needs to be done #1 reason trails are closed . Big issues in N.H. also esp with off trail riding. Would be nice have them have a db meter or something instead but that's not practical. maybe time that after market companies get themselves approved like they do with car performance parts that are C.A.R.B. certified.

I don't like the legal standing of that law, its would be the same thing as a cop pulling you over and giving you a speeding ticket WITHOUT actually verifying your speed with radar/pacing! Making you remove body panels to get to your exhaust to see a label isn't any easier than pulling out a sound meter out of your pocket with a proper length string attached to actually verify the output. That's how they do it in Minnesota with off road vehicles, 13.4' string held near the exhaust tip, takes about 30 seconds. I'm not promoting LOUD exhaust, I live 400' from a trail crossing, and I can tell when a sled has a "quiet can" by the tone not loudness. The ones that annoy me are the Race Cans and Stinger pipe

http://cs.amsnow.com/sno/b/news/arc...d-public-hearing-on-two-snowmobile-bills.aspx

Looks like Maine will have a new law making any exhaust not having a Snowmobile Safety Assoc seal illegal. Tough on a lot of quiet turbo upgrades. Law passed to make it easy for law enforcement, easy button. Hopefully they won't bother anyone if the exhaust is quiet, just gives them a quick way to ticket the loud ones.
I think you'll find that the game wardens will handle this the same way the police handle the motorcycle noise level issue. If there's a complaint or its "shaking windows" loud exhaust you'll have issues; everyone else they'll leave alone. At least that's what I hope:sled1:

This always gets thinking...... How the hell do all the HD road bikes that are so freaking loud that ya can hear them across the county never get pulled over and ticketed ?

This always gets thinking...... How the hell do all the HD road bikes that are so freaking loud that ya can hear them across the county never get pulled over and ticketed ?

You mean the ones that used to wake me up in the Summer when I was on the night shift and slept with the window open? Yet they would pull me over cause my truck was to loud! Go figure!

You mean the ones that used to wake me up in the Summer when I was on the night shift and slept with the window open? Yet they would pull me over cause my truck was to loud! Go figure!
It really is a good case for debate.... no freaking way they would pass most any sound test but we tolerate it... go figure. I never hear anyone piss about .

Back