• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Scratchers SKI-Z’s

16° here today so I decided to install these ski z scratchers. Since my airframes install I have no ice scratchers, needed them last Wednesday night. See how these work.

Have a set installed on my sled, work really well on icy trails. They throw a lot of snow and reverse well and best of all you can remove very easily ! Cheers!

Used mine last week,worked well on hard frozen trail.I installed mine so on pavement they don't touch, but on trail carbide cuts in and they touch, plus on bumps they dig in,throw a lot of snow.I remove before trailering, easy to remove.I only use them when trails are rock hard.

Early in the year we're 6 sleds out with scrachers down for three days of hard pack trails like ceramic tile. What I learned by the end of the trip it all depends what speed your going. To fast and they all brake to peaces except for quality cable scratchers.

First day going slower with the ladies, one of the two spring scractcher mounted under the running board broke. I like these since they're the cheapest to replace per spring and when not in use yo can't tell there installed. I talked about here: http://ty4stroke.com/threads/ice-scratchers.140580/

Second day going fast just the boys 10 minutes out and my friend broke both his ski z scratchers. Thinking my RSI spring rail mounted are invisible...broke one of my two springs on logs roads. Third going fast day I broke my second one.

Now at the end of the season the only ones not broken in the group are cable scratchers. Which I originally bought for my wife thinking she'll forget and back up and break the springs. Now I see they can last too. Other guys who broke there scratchers all end up with cable and so far so good this year. But you need good quality ones like Qualipieces, Duraflex etc.

I ended up with these OTTP's just cause I already had my holes done for springs and I like to try different designs. They're out of the way compared to cable when not in use...which is most of the time since the last time we all used our scratchers was 3 years ago. Then you get a season like this year were you need them most of the time. So far so good.

Forward%20Position.JPG

If you can zoom in on my avatar you can see a pair installed. They are very effective, but I tore one off, I think it must have hooked on a root or something. They didn't seem to sit well on my MTX skis. The end of the skis tip up too much.
I also installed a set on wifey's Polaris. She complained they made it hard to steer so I took them off.

I have had the cable type from duraflex installed for 2 years I never put them up they are always just there. I only seem to remember when someone looks at my sled and tells me something is broken in my skid lol. they hold up you don't have to do anything with them and they have lasted 4000 miles so far and may last another season. best of all when they do wear out you can either get replacement ends or just make your own it is just a threaded rod with a chunk of carbide on the end I will prolly weld a track stud with the top cut off onto them when they wear out. they were only $75.00 from Travis at BOP and I have never touched them after install just be sure you tighten the tips on them good with the lock nut as I have read some have lost a tip if you don't.

I just installed BRP rail mount reversible scratchers on my RsVenture. Have done approx. 250 km so far. I had the skid out for an unrelated issue ......so I figured it was the time to try them. Had to have a friend add some height to rails in order to mount them. I'm quite pleased so far.

I use scratchers religiously on Venture.....wore first set of slides out in 800km......put a set of footboard mount coil type (non-reversible) and Vespa slides...that was 11,000 km ago. Slides are still perfect. For 4 years I never had an issue....broke both scratchers last year ......another 3 this (1.5 set) year. Very functional if I'd remember to raise them before reversing. They'd fill the skid full of snow.

So the BRP ones seem to be very functional.....and I can reverse. I still have the other ones on until I'm sure new ones are good.....thinking they are by use of them so far.

Buddy with two e-tec's installed BRP's reversible scratchers too. His mounted on the top besides the upper iddler wheels. Spring so you can reverse and has a carbide tip. Working great for him so far. I find people get to hooked up about having them in the front. The amount of snow most of them throw it fills the whole skid packed full of snow. The track has no problem bringing the snow to the front.

His looks like this:
mqdefault.jpg

Yes my friend has them on his expedition.....work good......we weren't confident we could make them work on mine.

I agree....they don't need to be up front.....long as it puts snow in skid.....track will circulate it real good.
Note: Hangers for keeping them up weren't too my liking so I used 5/16 stainless bolts, some washers and nut on each side of rail.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Back