• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to SnoX Helmets , have a few questions

Comatoast

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
So I finally decided to put the ol $90 HJC Mutant CL-15 on the shelf after 5+ years.

It was a descent budget helmet, but wanted to go a different direction to try things out.. I was originally looking at a Castle Modular ( EXO-CX950 apex ) But nobody locally had them, so I ended up with

509 Altitude Stamp
509 Sinister XL5 w photochromatic lens
and a Klim Arctic Balaclava

I removed the "breath box" from the helmet as the nose piece of the xl5 goggles made for to snug of a fit on the nose, and everything seems to fit ok, But about the arctic..

Those who have one or have used on, know the gonzo looking nose piece/breather box .. Well I thought that would hang out of the helmet and not be an issue, but it stops right above the chin curtain. Problem is, if I tuck the chin curtain away, air comes straight up the gonzo chute....

SO I guess what I'm asking, is this

Is there a better balaclava to use with a 509 altitude/ sinister combo?

Am I the only oddball this has happened too?

Should I maybe just try a "Light/mid" weight balaclava without the big breather?

This is my first MX/SX helmet, so I'm hoping Im not that dumb and just missing something simple

I have the HJC ?? MX style helmet. I took the breath box out. Just like you not enough room for the box, goggle nose protector and my nose.
I took a Unwind balaclava and sewed a neoprene biker facemask to it. This did 2 things for me. It gave my extra frostbite protection between the goggles and helmet and also gave me a built in breath box.
I have the Artic and use it only on real warm days. There is too much fresh air flowing in for me at -25. There is some duct tape closing off the mouth area as the wind was -48 the other ride

Balaclava.jpg

I have the HJC ?? MX style helmet. I took the breath box out. Just like you not enough room for the box, goggle nose protector and my nose.
I took a Unwind balaclava and sewed a neoprene biker facemask to it. This did 2 things for me. It gave my extra frostbite protection between the goggles and helmet and also gave me a built in breath box.
I have the Artic and use it only on real warm days. There is too much fresh air flowing in for me at -25. There is some duct tape closing off the mouth area as the wind was -48 the other ride

View attachment 125362
That is awesome in the most deformed way!! haha , It reminded me of leatherface!!!!

It should be about 10*F tomorrow so we will see how it goes with the Arctic... My biggest concern is fogging.. I can deal with cold, but a fogged mask? That just make the ride, not fun.

A few days ago me and the GF ran 25 miles or so in -2*F temps.. She was fine, but apparently I move alot more hot air as we were using basically the same helmet ( hjc dual screen "no fog" )

Maybe it's just a trial and error thing that I have to try different combinations for

I don't have an issue with fogging on either balaclava. Just make sure the goggles are pressed firmly against your face.

Got it. I got the xl5 goggles which apparently have 20% more foam to seal up any leaks vs the standard sinister x5s.. is there a "warmer weather" balaclava you suggest with the 509 helmet?

Sounds good. Like I said. New to this so don't want to just toss out money on something I'll never use.

$10 or $100. Just was wondering what might work with the 509 setup..

Seems like some things work better with other brands, I realize, but just trying to cut down on trial and error as some balaclava seem to be worthless above/below a certain temp

Sorry. No magic combo that works for every body. My first ride with goggles was almost life changing and not in a good way. I have about 5 diff balaclavas and 6 sets of goggles. I have found the X5s and the balaclava pic'd above works the best for me. I will be on the prowl for a CF 509 in the off season when the local dealers have their sales. Can't see myself spending over 3 bills on a lid right now. My HJC and Smith goggles that I started with was only 200. Cheap when compared to switching out heated shields every other year.
In short you will need to experiment a bit and try different combos that work for you. No matter what you do this sport costs.

Yea, And this is the reason I procrastinated buying a new helmet, haha.. Just finding the right combo can sometimes be a PITA, But then again, so is pulling over to wipe off your shield every 3 miles!!

Hmm. Must be doing well with 5 full seasons on a heated visor in the trees. Any sled goggles available that you can get prescription lens in as I cannot use contacts.

Also give the helmet time to break in and soften up a bit. I run same combo (altitude, x5's and artic) and it was a bit snug on nose with breath box but over time it will settle in. Mine is perfect now and never a unwanted draft and nose is free and clear. I leave the "gonzo piece tucked inside the chin curtin and no issues with fogging, as mentioned tight goggle seal to balaclava/face a must.

I don't think my problem is the seal. I have the xl5 goggles and they seems to fit fine, but there is so much air coming in all the vents on the goggles , I'll get a straight cold rush the entire ride. I need to stick some road foam insulation ( almost like a really small diameter pipe insulation in there and try again. Tape didn't work well

They do move a lot of air. On my wifes i blocked all those vents with similar foam. I used the door seal stuff. Also taped up all the vents inside the helmet and no wind at all. Now i sweat a lot due to my BP meds and like all the fresh air. But blocking the vents will work well.

Back