• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to the Viper, looking for advice

SeX Viper

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2002 SX Viper
2014 SR Viper RTX
Hello, long time member of the 2 stroke side and just purchased a 2014 Viper RTX. Looking for your advice on what needs to be done for reliability.

Also, I am thinking of doing the Ulmer 8DN machining and clutch kit, does anyone have positive or negative feed back on that? I ride all trails, and like to run WOT and am looking for higher top speed.

i just came off of a Nytro and bought a brand new 2014 hold-over RTX myself. After reading a lot on this site I am going to do the EVO ECU flash, Ulmer Stage #2 trail performance kit, Ulmer clutch machining for 8DN bet, replace the hollow aluminum rear suspension scissors tube in the front of the suspension and then tune to my liking. I am going to keep a close watch on the jack/drive shaft bearings and the chain case to make sure it does not leak. Other than that I am going to ride it like I sole it next year. These things handle and ride way better than my Nytro with about $2000 worth of updated ever hoped to.
here is a link to the scissors arm cross tube: http://ty4stroke.com/threads/viper-cross-shaft-in-tunnel.148429/

I have a little over 6700 miles on my sled. It's been basically flawless for issues.

All I've ever done beside my performance items was maintenance.
Oil changes, repacked the drive axle bearing at 4000 miles. Replaced sliders twice to duponts and repacked the inner & upper idler wheel bearings once.
Change belts at around 1600 miles. Not because it needed it but because I've always change belts at that time for maintenance & best performance.
The only issue it might have is after the starter kick back cal update. It sometimes takes two crank tries to start. But not that big of a deal.
Oh and I just noticed last week that my rear inner axle wheel bearings are starting to go.

My performance add ons are:
Curve skis
Excel Intake
SLP Header & Can
Dupont slides
Clutching
Outside wheel kit

The sled runs hard. On the best of conditions it will run with most 800's.

Welcome over to the 4 stroke side, we all get here sooner or later! LOL! My advice is to just ride it and get a feel for it then move on to mods where you thinks it's lacking. I agree going to 8DN, I did not machine as I don't feel it's necessary. I run the thunderproducts belt adjuster but shims on the back of secondary work fine also to achieve correct 8DN belt height. 4 the wheel kit is a good one to do right away also. For clutch kit I would go thunderproducts big venom kit! Nospro and shagman did all the work for us. Perfect ride out of the box. Will be putting them in both my vipers this summer. Next is ski's, its curve all the way for me. I put 40 miles on my tunners and switched to curves and never looked back. Your gonna love the viper!

Skis are a must other than that ride it and change things as you see fit. Try not to read too much into this site about all the different mods and problems that pop up with the viper or you'll drive yourself crazy. They are a great sled and have good power stock.

mine turns fine with stock ski I think it depends on where u ride. We have mostly super hardpack groomed and frozen . So good carbides and it rails . Softer snow conditions then no, not so great but that's few and far between

I have over 5000 miles on my '14. I did the Ulmer upgrade. I don't believe there was a big improvement but it was probably worth it just to use the 8DN belt. At the time they were cheaper than the 8JP. I don't know if that's still true. The stock skis work fine on packed snow. If you ride powder you'll probably want something else. I revalved the center shock and did the Evol upgrade to the front shocks. That made a big difference. If yours hasn't been reflashed, and it starts fine, I'd leave it alone. I had mine reflashed and had a lot of starter problems afterwards. I finally went with the Evo flash and it's been good since.

Skis are a must other than that ride it and change things as you see fit. Try not to read too much into this site about all the different mods and problems that pop up with the viper or you'll drive yourself crazy. They are a great sled and have good power stock.
Couldn't agree more! And I went from almost twenty years of two strokes. I love my viper, looks, ride, performance , sound, comfort. Only issue is fixing the ski push in corners. After that, staying stock and rippin it up!

Welcome over to the 4 stroke side, we all get here sooner or later! LOL! My advice is to just ride it and get a feel for it then move on to mods where you thinks it's lacking. I agree going to 8DN, I did not machine as I don't feel it's necessary. I run the thunderproducts belt adjuster but shims on the back of secondary work fine also to achieve correct 8DN belt height. 4 the wheel kit is a good one to do right away also. For clutch kit I would go thunderproducts big venom kit! Nospro and shagman did all the work for us. Perfect ride out of the box. Will be putting them in both my vipers this summer. Next is ski's, its curve all the way for me. I put 40 miles on my tunners and switched to curves and never looked back. Your gonna love the viper!
Which Curves did you get ? The intro kit in black with mounts and carbide and loops?

I went with one set of black and one set of blue. I run the woodies slim jims. Love them. For the black I went with the starter kit because it's cheaper but never used carbides!

Is price the only difference between the 8DN and 8JP? Does a 8JP last and perform like an 8DN? I'm also new to the 4 stroke side and have an 18 on order and looking for info as well.

8DN is a little longer so it can provide a bit better total shift-out. I believe it is also a little harder durometer so it may last longer.

Back