• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nuvi 50 install pics

yzf1999

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha SR Viper LTX SE
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I think it looks almost factory...lol

looks great thinking of doing same. How did it hold up to trail vibrations and pounding?

Well I just got this GPS and rigged up this mounting system, so I don't really know how it will hold up. I do know MANY people use the garmin nuvi and everyone loves them and I've not read any complaints or failures. My garmin 60csx worked great for many many years, but I need a bigger screen.

I have the same unit mounted on my Apex with a RAM mount. No issues, ran great. I used the RedPineMapping maps.

I have the same unit mounted on my Apex with a RAM mount. No issues, ran great. I used the RedPineMapping maps.

Same setup here, and going on yet another season. Knock on wood, these were not designed for the environment that I am running it in, but it has not failed yet. Don't expect the battery to last longer than keeping it on while stopped on the side of the trail before starting up again. If it dies, I wouldn't think twice about buying another used one before buying a new weatherproof GPS. Too much money for no real benefit.

I've had a Nuvi 50 with a RAM Mount on my sled for 3 seasons with no problems. I wired a 12v outlet direct to the battery to plug into so it's always on. Bought a cover that zips over it when I'm parked or weather gets really bad. I take it inside every night after riding.

Thank you!!...when you sit on the sled and turn on the GPS its in a perfect position for viewing while riding...I got the mount for the Nuvi on eBay. I just put a search for garmin navi 50 mount. I think it's a garmin. It's suppose to bolt on to the RAM mount, but I just bolted it to the OSP gauge mount. I had to trim the OSP mount so I could plug in the power cord to the GPS. I think this is the perfect mounting system for a Nuvi on the Viper.

Also the novi is powered by the 12v accessory plug on the dash. I got a low profile power plug (again off eBay for $9). It was described as a power plug that runs the nuvi and charges it at the same time or something like that. I did have to wrap a little electrical tape around it so the plug would stay put. It works great so that's all I care about..lol. Hope this info helps.

Same setup here, and going on yet another season. Knock on wood, these were not designed for the environment that I am running it in, but it has not failed yet. Don't expect the battery to last longer than keeping it on while stopped on the side of the trail before starting up again. If it dies, I wouldn't think twice about buying another used one before buying a new weatherproof GPS. Too much money for no real benefit.

That was my thought too. I think the Nuvi 50 (or similar models) is the sweet spot for sledding. It gives you everything you need at a pretty modest price. If my takes a dump, I'll happily pick up another $50-$80 unit and march on for another few seasons.

I've had a Nuvi 50 with a RAM Mount on my sled for 3 seasons with no problems. I wired a 12v outlet direct to the battery to plug into so it's always on. Bought a cover that zips over it when I'm parked or weather gets really bad. I take it inside every night after riding.

Can you tell me a little more about your hard wire setup? I bought a bare wire plug from I believe Mountguys. It worked great for running wires directly to the battery. The only issue I've had is that there is a voltage reducer that steps the power down from 12v to I believe 4.5v. This reducer has an LED power indicator that's always on, so I had to hardwire a toggle switch in the line to make sure I wasn't killing the battery. I found another wire that was similar except it didn't have a power indicator light, and I assumed that I'd be ok - but I've had issues with batteries losing charge and needed to be replaced. If I don't find a better cable, I'm going to reinstall a toggle switch.

Can you tell me a little more about your hard wire setup? I bought a bare wire plug from I believe Mountguys. It worked great for running wires directly to the battery. The only issue I've had is that there is a voltage reducer that steps the power down from 12v to I believe 4.5v. This reducer has an LED power indicator that's always on, so I had to hardwire a toggle switch in the line to make sure I wasn't killing the battery. I found another wire that was similar except it didn't have a power indicator light, and I assumed that I'd be ok - but I've had issues with batteries losing charge and needed to be replaced. If I don't find a better cable, I'm going to reinstall a toggle switch.

I am using Rockmiesters accessory port and a USB cord to the gps.It shuts off with the key since the port is wired right to key switch which also allows simple hood removal since it comes off with it. All the Garmins use 4.5v so USB is ideal. My buddy learned hard way that you can't just cut off the cigarette plug and run it to power. He fried his.

YFZ I scored the Ram Garmin holder on EBay for $11 and got a used Nuvi 50 for $20 from a friend who tries driving with his phone. Won the OSP mount at TY Giveaway ride last year so $31 invested! Just have to get the map! I am really going to like this better than leaving it in gogglebag. Thank You! P.s. OSP should consider making a gps mount just like this.

I just put the Redpine mapping on and I have to say I am disappointed when compared to the vv mapping my buddy has. Almost all my local trails are missing. It does show roads which vv doesn't but I think the vv is much less cluttered and shows every trail I have ever been on. Bummed.

I have vv mapping and it shows roads. You might have to go into the map setting and turn on the internal map

Back