• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

OEM Agreement Between Yamaha & Textron

I hear you on the super charger I prefer the always on of the super I only worry about fuel economy. I had a mpi sc on mine and it became the weakest link on gas stops. if they increase the fuel tank capacity to compensate I would be game. I like the idea of the boost not coming on till track is already spinning as hook up was a concern with sc and it looks like an efficient way to power the SC with less hp loss from it.

I just ran across this bit of news regarding the latest moves from Textron and Arctic Cat: http://www.trftimes.com/news/textron-moves-production-4x4-trf

It looks like they're moving right along with some vehicle production changes and also closing down the recently opened AC corporate offices in downtown Mpls, MN.

Sounds like Textron is serious about using the AC manufacturing to the fullest extent while streamlining the corporate structure.

Last edited:
I hear you on the super charger I prefer the always on of the super I only worry about fuel economy. I had a mpi sc on mine and it became the weakest link on gas stops. if they increase the fuel tank capacity to compensate I would be game. I like the idea of the boost not coming on till track is already spinning as hook up was a concern with sc and it looks like an efficient way to power the SC with less hp loss from it.

The jackshaft driven supercharger is off at launch and only increases as speed does. Its top speed is reached when the sleds top speed is reached. As it is basicly half of a turbo and has mild boost I don't think drag is anywhere near a roots style super charger. Trail cruising would keep boost down and when hitting the throttle the boost would only climb with speed not rpm like a engine mounted SC so mileage should be fine. I agree for trail riding it would work well.

I just ran across this bit of news regarding the latest moves from Textron and Arctic Cat: http://www.trftimes.com/news/textron-moves-production-4x4-trf

It looks like they're moving right along with some vehicle production changes and also closing down the recently opened AC corporate offices in downtown Mpls, MN.

Sounds like Textron is serious about using the AC manufacturing to the fullest extent while streamlining the corporate structure.

They have their own corporate structure no need for Cats. This will leave Yamaha dealing with different people and renewing connections and direction! While in the press they smile and say nothing has changed, I think for Yamaha there is changes. How it effects the big picture is yet to be seen! Yamaha's Cat agreement is done, now they have to work out a new agreement with Textron, it might be the same as the old one and only a formality or it might be radically different! I don't think Textron needs Yamaha as much as Yamaha needs Textron.

Thanks for posting... I'm not surprised typical reorg and downsizing after a buy out. Textron is taking care of their core biz and products expanding production at TRF. To me it is a matter of time before Textron moves on from Yamaha as Textron expands production for Textron. I just can not see why Textron would want to build sleds for Yamaha as an OEM... sleds just NOT their core biz. The more I watch Textron evolve I really think they will NOT renew the OEM contract with Yamaha and will try to get Yamaha to buy the AC snowmobile division and be done with sleds....really not what they do.

I think for now they need Yamaha just as much as Yamaha needs them with a struggling sled division that they just bought having a cash buyer for X amount of sleds helps the bottom line allot. when they have time to develop a new platform and bring new excitement to AC. Hopefully Yamaha has been using their time wisely and is also developing a new platform to breath new life into Yamaha.

Here is another opinion. Textron doesn't want the Arctic Cat name, so they offer it to Yamaha and Yamaha manufactures both keeping both names. They have two names and they could keep Yamaha sleds four stroke engines. Artic Cat could utilize their two stroke engines that Cat is already using. They instantly have both four and two stroke sleds.

Here is another opinion. Textron doesn't want the Arctic Cat name, so they offer it to Yamaha and Yamaha manufactures both keeping both names. They have two names and they could keep Yamaha sleds four stroke engines. Artic Cat could utilize their two stroke engines that Cat is already using. They instantly have both four and two stroke sleds.

I agree Yamaha buying out the sled division makes sense. Could happen but with two names and the same four stroke sled sold in both lineups what is the point? Course I agree if Yamaha owned the company they could keep Yamaha all four stroke and Cat all two stroke and sell both sleds in the same dealer showrooms. Or drop one name altogether, then build on that! Basically if Yamaha does not build a Yamaha specific sled its just one company and we are down to three anyway! Id rather see Yamaha survive and cat disappear then the other way around, but as Yamaha said they will not build two strokes anymore! Cat as a two stroke division and Yamaha as a four works I think! Unless people are that hung up on the brand name and think the Yamaha is a better sled somehow or vise versa!

All this just makes me want a new Apex even more!

I think for now they need Yamaha just as much as Yamaha needs them with a struggling sled division that they just bought having a cash buyer for X amount of sleds helps the bottom line allot. when they have time to develop a new platform and bring new excitement to AC. Hopefully Yamaha has been using their time wisely and is also developing a new platform to breath new life into Yamaha.

Textron did not buy AC for snowmobiles does not fit their core biz and dealers + snow biz is shrinking fast. Textron would luv Yamaha to buy snow biz from them and be done with it put their efforts back to core ATVs, golf carts. New OEM Agreement for Textron just prolongs the pain for them and Yamaha who needs to put up or say done with snow biz other than engine maker for OEMs. The question in my mind is all on Yamaha's side of the issue and AC building duplicate sleds for Yamaha was to help Yamaha recover and get back on track in 5 years expand AC sled revenue not continue the rebranding process for dup sleds. I would think it would be a very long shot for both compaines to sign another 5 year OEM Agreement just too long for Textron to comitt resources from their core markets. I think both companies are struggling with what is next and I'm not at all sure Yamaha wants to build sleds again,buy new tooling and support mfg and marketing just no money to do that with their current market position. Soooo easy for Yamaha to end it now than to invest big money in a shrinking market. If Textron says no to a new agreement Yamaha will have to go it alone and no indication from Yamaha that they are aready to go it alone. I think the OEM meetings with both Textron and Yamaha are very painful neither company is very interested in snow biz sort of like dating an old girlfriend you know its over but can't part easily... bottom line it is difficult but best for both to walk away as no clear future to the relationship...lol

I agree Yamaha buying out the sled division makes sense. Could happen but with two names and the same four stroke sled sold in both lineups what is the point? Course I agree if Yamaha owned the company they could keep Yamaha all four stroke and Cat all two stroke and sell both sleds in the same dealer showrooms. Or drop one name altogether, then build on that! Basically if Yamaha does not build a Yamaha specific sled its just one company and we are down to three anyway! Id rather see Yamaha survive and cat disappear then the other way around, but as Yamaha said they will not build two strokes anymore! Cat as a two stroke division and Yamaha as a four works I think! Unless people are that hung up on the brand name and think the Yamaha is a better sled somehow or vise versa!

All this just makes me want a new Apex even more!
Sasquatch, i agree. From a business point of view it would make sense. We as owners with that "addiction" to the Yamaha brand see it as more of an emotional view. Yamaha would gain a manufacturing facility in North America. That would satisfy the bean counters!

I just wish Yamaha would let us know if they are in it to stay or not! With Textron moving their Stampede production to Theif River that tells me that they don't want any Yamaha engineers in their factory with the fear of any side by side tech leaking to the competition! Obviously that dictates that if Textron stops making sleds, (one and only sled production facility in Theif River), so does Yamaha! Lets say Yamaha has a new platform in the works, or they buy the sled division from Textron and all its patents and designs, where are they going to build them? Down in Georgia? That would mean a complete retooling of the facility and that DOES NOT happen overnight! I don't know guys, this has me worried! I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this has me worried!

It is absolutely amazing to listen to the same crap from some of you for the last 5 years. There has been basically zero Yamaha engineering in TRF...ever. That has been the Yami PR that everyone bought. Textron is going to sell nothing of the AC production facilities in TRF, or the engine assembly plant in St Cloud, or any of the brains that make the snow division work. The Textron guy was completley clear. Yamaha is a engine supplier and a customer for Arctic Cat snowmobiles.....

Sadly 2laps is correct. Yamaha had the chance to buy Cat just same as Textron did and they didn't do it. Now Textron is fully utilizing everything other than the headquarters which was leased anyway and the name which is still on the sleds. There is nothing left to buy. Textron got a good deal and Yamaha missed the chance.

Back