• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

**Official Clutch Rattle Removal Thread w/ Pics**

did you balance the crank assembly after? changing the weight balance of the crank you grinded on without balancing your rotating assembly and adding spring steel into the mix of a 9k rpm crank is very risky to just get rid of a very small accoustic issue.
First og all the material removed equates the weight of the pin.
And second, it is close to the center of the crank wich means it is not that sensitive.
Third, it was conciderable noise.
Four, if you don't approve my way of solution you have a choice of ignore it!

I'll let you know if i run into problems.
So far so good and it purrs like a kitten

I got the schmidt quite kit and it worked !
I am not familiar with that kit but it was not the clutch that made the noise on my sled, but the play between splines on crank/hub
Edit: Did a search for the Schmidt kit.
I have already done a modification with coppershims to eliminate play on those bolts.
Silkysmooth

Last edited:
Hearing it without the rattle sure is addicting! Should definitely be a permanent solution.
I understand natedawgs concerns, 9k is alot of RPM however, a few grams difference can equate to lots of force!
Ultimately I'm sure you'll be fine tho, that section is short and supported on both sides.

To be honest, I've designed up a concept (a little less crude than your method and would retain balance I think), but have yet to implement it on my own sled.
I was on the fence of selling it to others (they would have to ship me their stub only) - but I want to test it on my own first....some snow up here would help...thats for sure.

Edit: then again maybe the Wurth Bearing Retainer may have worked all this time haha!
Also interesting to note this thread's gotten over 36,000 views....

Last edited:
After reading all of this, someone posted an oil port on the end of the crank...I think this would be great way to damped the pulses having an oil flow beyween the 2 parts. Drilling a hole from the end to the main bearing port.
After 20000kms, it's getting hard to ignore as it gets louder...
Any toughts on this???
Cheers

After reading all of this, someone posted an oil port on the end of the crank...I think this would be great way to damped the pulses having an oil flow beyween the 2 parts. Drilling a hole from the end to the main bearing port.
After 20000kms, it's getting hard to ignore as it gets louder...
Any toughts on this???
Cheers

I wouldn't risk stealing oil from the mains to eliminate the rattle. Pretty high risk and i doubt it would work, you would loose lots of oil pressure trying to feed oil through all those 20+ sloppy spline teeth (I've measured gaps of 0.008" each on mine if I recall).

If we don't get any snow soon, I'll do my mod and report back.
I just know once I dig into it, its gonna dump buckets of the white stuff!

Mine has 15,000km on it now, rattle hasn't really changed much though.

I'll be trying the shim kit. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones

Last edited:
Hello
I have the same problem but I do not really know where the problem lies, there are images that explain this ?

My Imageshack account wen't down....well actually all of Imageshack is complete garbage now.
I'll try and update it when I start moving pictures back.
I lost a ton, i'm active on other forums and everything is just a mess.

Back