• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil change, how difficult?

IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
View attachment 122935 View attachment 122936 View attachment 122937 View attachment 122938 View attachment 122935 View attachment 122936 View attachment 122937 View attachment 122938 On my 2014 mp I chiseled off one rivet holding rubber/plastic couling by clutch/oil filter area. Now i can reach in with oil filter socket making filter change easy. I put a small self taping screw in place to replace rivet. Oil filter change is now easy. Also using a stubby wrench on filter socket helped a lot when in there.

Last edited:

As long as I've had mine, I never thought of that. I'll have to look into this methid.

Thanks so much guys! Bought some yamalube, oouch! $55 for 3L, gunna do the change soon, my brother in law also bought one so we will do both at the same time.

My tie-rod is bent so I bought another, how difficult to replace this part, and do I need any special tools?

Not even sure I will need a snowmobile this year, going fishing tomorrow, on the boat!!!

Have faith brother. La Niña will save us! We already have snow on the ground here.

Did the oil change, quite easy, easier much easier than changing the battery on my big 1050cc venture!

View attachment 122944 View attachment 122945 View attachment 122946 View attachment 122947 View attachment 122948 View attachment 122935 View attachment 122936 View attachment 122937 View attachment 122938 View attachment 122935 View attachment 122936 View attachment 122937 View attachment 122938 On my 2014 mp I chiseled off one rivet holding rubber/plastic couling by clutch/oil filter area. Now i can reach in with oil filter socket making filter change easy. I put a small self taping screw in place to replace rivet. Oil filter change is now easy.

going to check if this is possible with a phazer soon myself.

Lots of great ideas in this thread..Mooseman even got me googling ZDDP....!....this is what I did for my oil change..
... oil change on my 2016 MP....once side covers/ air box was off, the filter was accessible ...but I needed a really good grip on it with a open jawed filter removal wrench...really chewed the filter surface up but never put a hole through it..cursed it a bit though....replacement filter used was a KN147 with 17mm nut on end..might make it easier to remove on the next change using an open/box wrench.. For oil I went semi synthetic...I usually go with the manufacturer recommended..in my MP for my temp conditions and use...Yamalube 0W-30 semi synthetic was used...
....I have the ultra plate installed on my MP ..I wasn't looking forward to taking that off since I had a bit of a chore lining up the bolts the first time installing it....however, second time around it was a charm..everything went back together easily..
...Hope everyone is enjoying the snow..!

I bought 2 rx1's in 2002, one delivered in August. Put 100 miles on by september, on our grass drag strip...lol. For my convienience I use 5 20 Mobil 1 synthetic in everything. Lawn mowers, supercharged Mustang, lexus, neon (lol...) sleds, etc. Rotella t synthetic for the diesels.
Now, Amsoil has great info on oils, as I had to investigate for work (new vendors) and it seems the 5 is the base oil and polymers (not oil) are added to expand with heat, to reduce the flow through their little funnel, which makes the higher viscosity. Since I want ALL OIL (polymers do not lubricate) I get the closest range without using a straight weight. So 5-20 is good for me and has been for years. I did have slight oil usage on one of my 2003 rx1's. It went away when I got the rpm to 10,500 and started running the snot out of it. No more oil usage. 5 or 6 grand running just didn't seem to clean er out! I think I changed the clutch spring....can't remember.

Back