• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil pan leaking

5valve

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro, IQR, Redline’s, trailing-arm Polaris’s
Woke up this morning to find oil on the garage floor under my Nytro. Took the front clip off to inspect. Here's what I saw...
909f6ae1757a6ac409c58ec9b48575c3.jpg
45a65240b33b48a72bd3648ea5d655ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woke up this morning to find oil on the garage floor under my Nytro. Took the front clip off to inspect. Here's what I saw...
909f6ae1757a6ac409c58ec9b48575c3.jpg
45a65240b33b48a72bd3648ea5d655ec.jpg

did you happen to tip it on its side recently? these things do not leak oil unless you tip them or hit something.

did you happen to tip it on its side recently? these things do not leak oil unless you tip them or hit something.

Looking at the picture, it may be hard to see. But what I found was a small hole the size of a BB, maybe slightly smaller? I have not yet ridden the sled. And, there is no sign of impact on the bottom of the sled.

Looking at the picture, it may be hard to see. But what I found was a small hole the size of a BB, maybe slightly smaller? I have not yet ridden the sled. And, there is no sign of impact on the bottom of the sled.

wow, i see what you mean. what year, miles?

if your able to drain the oil and keeping it from dripping through i have personally had really good luck with repairing aluminum oil pans on customer vehicles and personal vehicles with JB weld. i have a silverado that i wheeled to hard and hit a rock and chipped the pan the jb weld has held for allmost 3 years now. just need to make sure that it stays dry for a day or two before appling the JB

if your able to drain the oil and keeping it from dripping through i have personally had really good luck with repairing aluminum oil pans on customer vehicles and personal vehicles with JB weld. i have a silverado that i wheeled to hard and hit a rock and chipped the pan the jb weld has held for allmost 3 years now. just need to make sure that it stays dry for a day or two before appling the JB

I've got some 2-part epoxy called Swim Zone. Top Fuel engine builders use it to shape intake ports. I've used it to patch down pipes from early 70's motocross bikes. Sitting for so many years unused, the condensation creates pin-holes. You dare not take a flame to it! So I hammer out a patch and glue it over the affected area. But oil won't stop dripping. So I'll have to drain the tank/reservoir. Remove the oil pan, clean & patch it prolly...

Could you tip it on its side? Best bet would be to remove it but i would replace at that point

I'll bet that piece is expensive

Barn of parts should have a used one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Barn of parts should have a used one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Prolly should check into that...

I'll take the cover off first, just to see what it looks like from the inside

I forgot that the cover could be made from magnesium. I've heard horror stories about magnesium being caught on fire. Those stories don't usually end up well.

Back