• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Old Linkage -vs- Updated linkage pics

Got to ride it and inspect last night and this morning.Trails are shut down again so just ditches and river.I have run on soft torsion setting all year and it seemed stiffer.Lightened up compression a two clicks to 3.Nice.Got it in garage and thawed it out overnight.Noticed when I put it on stand that there is no need for those bigger couplers I made to get rid of slop rear suspension had.With stock couplers entire stroke is now controlled.Can feel shock and spring working right till track lifts off ground.There was definitly geometry change.Also noticed that there is wider spacers(washers) where front arm attaches to rails.I believe this would put the outer idlers just a bit closer to track.Maybe take some of hits inner idlers took hopefully keeping shaft from bending.If you have this kit or a 08 be careful with the front skid mount bolts.I felt they were loose but actually ended up snapping one off.Will need to use a torque wrench/Loctite on these.Might be intended to stretch.They are grade 10 which is alloy from what I can find.Old ones were 8's.All wheels except the top idlers are now rubber Yamaha wheels.Spoked ones in front outside.New bearings were needed in both of top big idlers.DO NOT BUY PARTS UNLIMITED BEARINGS.They are junk and sloppy when new.New slides and added low sno wheels in front.Basicly starting fresh.Hope it lasts.
Added some grease fittings to rear attachments hopefully wont hurt strength.Maybe wait and see.Am working on front end bushings and zerks next.Glad this thing is so much fun!

Attachments

• Update 002.jpg
    Update 002.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 218
speaking of front bolts, one of mine fell out after 100 miles on my new 08 kit the dealer installed. galled the piss outta the threads, limped it to some guys garage on tug hill and he hooked me up with a longer bolt. was enough to get me home.

getting tired of this sled breaking down.

Those are wierd bolts.In 25 years working on sleds I have never snapped a bolt off there.This bolt is something new.Possibly your dealer did same as me and just tightened them real tight by hand with Loctite.Its been done that way forever but these are special bolts.Now I know better.I had to walk away from it also out of disgust but I just get the feeling all our hard work and Patience is going to be rewarded with one heck of a sled.Long term these troubles will be worth it.

Torque specs from 08 supplemental manual.Use them and Loctite or end up like I did when I over torqued mine.

Loctite and 52ft lbs

*May not apply to 07's without updated suspension*

Attachments

• Torque phazer.jpg
    Torque phazer.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Bolts 004.jpg
    Bolts 004.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 192
Dear Isthatahemi
I have 8000 km on my sled and i am not exactly sure what broke. I know the bolt for my front shock on my skid broke, the front arm that runs across in the front of the skid twisted twice, and that racket that is shown in the pics broke 3 times.

Update part # 90891-50149-00

Well I really am impressed by Yamahas efforts.This has got to work.Way beefier than before.Now I am no Engineer so if someone would like to make suggestions on measurement to check for geometry changes now is the time.

Old Linkage-Some of you may remember I cracked link last year.Pic shows where it was welded.Also welded and surfaced outside of the bushing there.It has held to this day.As for the shaft which two idlers and pivot are on.Bent that once again after straightening it about three rides ago.This leads me to believe that that center shock must be bottoming but I dont ever feel it.We may have to resort to higher spring preloads on that center shock even though cornering suffers.I just do not EVER remember hitting anything bad enough to cause that shaft to bend once again.Everything on that shaft is changed so hope updated one holds.Also note that grease fittings are welded all the way around.Am a little concerned about steel on steel of lower arm shaft.Bushings are eliminated with new setup.I need to look closer but arm looks like a crack was developing on one side lower.Timing of this coming in couldnt be better since snow is melted but more on way.Cant wait to ride again.
:jump:
I know you posted this along time ago but I was wondering if all the parts included in the kit are pictured in your pics that you posted? I just had mine fail and I am unable to order the kit because Yamaha thought it would be a brilliant idea to discontinue the kit.

I know you posted this along time ago but I was wondering if all the parts included in the kit are pictured in your pics that you posted? I just had mine fail and I am unable to order the kit because Yamaha thought it would be a brilliant idea to discontinue the kit.
I believe so. Rubber inside wheels,shaft,front arm,link,pivot and new bolt.

I would also be interested in hearing what the best solution is for this week point on the phaser.
I have two phazers broken down in my garage both busted pivot links. Are Schmidt brothers kits the way to go?
I know the parts are like $400 to do the Yamaha update.

Havent heard too much on the Schmidt kit but it should work at taking the stress off that link. You could just weld the broken ones. That worked on mine till I got the update. Is pics of how to do it page 1 of this thread.

just did the 09 phazer rtx i bought in the fall in january with the schmidt kit. working well all season and have 2200km on it. going to rebuild the shocks and see about adding a grease fitting to the aluminum shock block when i have it apart to turn it into an xtx in the off season. thinking about wrp seat for it as well as it was killing my knees this winter as i put most of the milage on it.

Update guys:
After working for about 3 weeks with Yamaha customer service I've been able to successfully talk them into giving me some vouchers to buy the updated parts to replace the garbage in the 2007 skid. I see a few of you guys are from Wisconsin, any recommendations on a dealer to go thru for parts? I was thinking of going thru Powersports1 in little chute as they seemed to have pretty good pricing.
Anyone else I should consider?
Some of my best zingers to the customer service:
"The Yamaha name is suppose to mean I can trust this product"

"a catastrophic failure every 1000 miles is not acceptable! I have a 9 year old DS450 and have never had a wrench on it. You telling me Can-Am has better reliability than Yamaha?!

"10 years old?? So what! This snowmobile is not a ham sandwich that goes bad in my refrigerator!

Back