• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

One more bad stator code 12 thread!

ranger1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
After doing a search on the code 12 on here I was shocked at all the posts, there was pages of them!! I think however, I am not going to bother splicing in just the sensor, I will replace the whole stator assembly.
Now that a lot of riders have logged on lots of miles since replacing their stators, I was wondering how the aftermarket stators such as the RMstator ($159) ones are holding out, any problems with them, recommend them or best go with the expensive OEM ($400 cad)?
Thanks for your input!!!

The stator would sure explain your running issues.
I would only go Yamaha parts for the stator.[/Q
I had that losing RPM down to 10,ooorpm @ WOT for the past about year & half. Do you think the stator could be the cause of losing the rpm's for that long? I sure hope it fixes that problem as well. Kill two problems with one stator would be nice, lol!

Its that good feeling to replace it all as a unit from yamaha,yes it co$t$ but not riding when your having fun or trying too co$tS also..

Its that fork in the road ..

Its that good feeling to replace it all as a unit from yamaha,yes it co$t$ but not riding when your having fun or trying too co$tS also..

Its that fork in the road ..
One of the reasons (besides price) why I was looking into the RMstator is because it is a common thing for the Yamaha ones to fail. Could these be better than Yamaha OEM? This is why I would be interested in finding out how these aftermarket stators are working out for those that have used them & also good to know for future stator failures of other riders.

One of the reasons (besides price) why I was looking into the RMstator is because it is a common thing for the Yamaha ones to fail. Could these be better than Yamaha OEM? This is why I would be interested in finding out how these aftermarket stators are working out for those that have used them & also good to know for future stator failures of other riders.
How many miles do you have? you replace pick-up coil, then in time the stator will fail ... your stock complete unit lasted or is lasting how many miles? its best to replace all as one.so figure in 10yrs will you still own and ride it ? there is a few that have replaced with RM pick up coil,but its really not tested in miles and miles ..i am not saying it does not work . to each there own.

Along with finding out the durability of the RMstator, I also searched for "stator replacement instructions" & came up with nothing. Is there a trick to changing these, special tools required, puller whatever? Does anyone know the procedure & like to share, Thanks again

Along with finding out the durability of the RMstator, I also searched for "stator replacement instructions" & came up with nothing. Is there a trick to changing these, special tools required, puller whatever? Does anyone know the procedure & like to share, Thanks again

The original 2006/07 stator part number was 8FP-81410-00-00...the updated stator part number is 8FP-81410-02-00.
The 02 is an indication that Yamaha has updated the original stator twice, probably due to durability issues. I have run into this on my 2002 SRX stator as well as the TPS's on both my 2002 SRX and my Attak as well. They don't necessarily recall on item they just improve it and eliminate the original less reliable part.

No special tools to change the stator just a bit of time and patience
-drain oil from oil tank
-remove oil tank
-unplug stator in nose from voltage regulator
-remove stator cover[there is a bit of oil in there]
-remove old stator
-install new stator using blue Loctite on allen head bolts
-reverse steps

Once all of the Allen bolts are removed you will likely find the cover wants to stay put. The magnets on the stator are quite strong, so it takes a pretty good pull to remove the cover from the end of the motor.

Thanks very much sideshowbob & Stubby for the tutorial, looks pretty straight forward :) Probably easier than just spicing in the pickup by the sounds of it.
Now I have to wait until tomorrow to get the actual price on the Yamaha stator, yikes, lol!!! I was hoping to get some positive reviews on the RM ones because they have a sale on right now, $135cad for stator & pickup, lol!!

So... This sounds like it's not the big of a job. Why not try the aftermarket stator? It really is only a few could of wire that had to meet a proper resistance. I am guessing if you weren't happy they wouldn't take it back though.

Back