• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Open trailer - Aluma 7712H

Zrxpilot

Pro
I recently purchased an Aluma brand 7712H open trailer with the front shield. Bought it primarily to haul my RZR around. I had intended at a later time to upgrade to an enclosed of similar size but economics is not going to allow that at least for this winter.

Anyways, for those not familiar with this type of trailer, its basic design is similar to a car hauler. Lower to the ground with the wheels outside the deck. Aluma makes nice trailers. Solid aluminum frame and deck, 3500 lb torsion axle.... it works nicely for hauling the RZR around.

My plan is to use it to haul my sled around this winter. The only problem I see with it is it doesn't currently have the traditional bar and screw type tie down as seen on conventional snowmobile trailers. It also has narrower tires (good sized 14's) and obviously sits lower to the ground.

It does have 6 flush mount tie down points. Anyone see an issue using this trailer?

i have seen and used a lot worse than what you are describing. it should work fine.

No issue. I went the other way. I bought an Aluma 8612D with rear ramp and combo salt shield/ramp upfront. Drive on drive off. Double wide for the 2 sleds and will also haul my RZR . I put 4 flush mount tiedowns on. 13" tires on aluminum rims. 2200lb torsion axle.

IMG_2813.JPGIMG_2816.JPG

I don't see a problem, I hauled sleds on my car trailer for a long time before I built a 18' V-front Flat deck. I used a winch to pull a sled on backwards so I could fit 4 on the 7' wide deck (or back it on if it has reverse). I haven't even gotten around to making ski hold down bars yet as capture style ratchet straps are working just fine on my 18' flat deck. The straps are Motorcycle style where one end goes around a bar and hooks to itself and with 4 per sled they aren't going anywhere. I've seen what happens to sleds held down with just the ski bars in an accident, its not pretty!

Back