• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer out to the mountains for some riding but have some concerns

Ruggybuggy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer FX 144
I also posted this info in the Phazer general talk as well but thought it might work better here.

So I have an opportunity to take my Phazer out to the mountains for some riding but have some concerns. First the snowmobile is FX non turbo but stretched to 144 and running a 2" paddle and has the Yamaha tuner skis. A friend of mine who has rode a number of times in the mountains says the 144 is the minimum. He also says a becon, pole and a shovel are mandatory. I'm looking at riding in the Canmore/Banff area but not looking to ride extreme, just some groomed trails to elevation to basically take in the sights. I was planning on joining a group and don't plan on riding alone. So is the Phazer up to the task? Are there any of the forum members from the Calgary Banff area that will be riding on the weekend of Feb 20/21 that would like to show a flatlander around?

Forgot to mention I do have the skins float plate with the control arm floats.

Sounds like you talking mostly groomed trails. Be carful and enjoy... Your configuration is sketchy for any extreme back country with only a 14" wide track and down on hp.
I'd love to ride there one day.

I took my 08 MTX (also with a float plate, but pretty much nothing else non-stock) out to Togwotee Pass, Wyoming last week. Pieces of advice: make sure you have the clutch set up right for the elevation you will be at. I had the high elevation helix in mine, but neglected to get it weighted properly (I think for 6000-9000' there are not supposed to be any weights?) and I'm set up for riding usually at about 1800'. So, first morning out, I'm riding my M8 and my wife is on the Phazer. I hop on the Phazer to go play a bit just off the groomed trail. Slight uphill, and I'm loosing momentum so I pin the throttle. Great time to find out that I was missing out on everything over 11,000 rpm's. Gutless wonder, buried in deep snow, hour and a half digging later it's out.
I think if you have it clutched right, it will be fun. No, you won't high mark, and yes, you will have to work twice as hard as anybody else on their mountain sleds if you are in the trees, but I think it will work. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I'm running the new style secondary with the 41 helix and Ulmer's clutch kit. Full throttle at around 1500' I see 11,600. What elevation will I start having problems? At what RPM should I be trying for so it's correct at higher elevation? Heavier secondary spring?

Flatland here mine will get up to about 11,900. Out there i didnt get it past 11,000 and it was a terrible dog. Even running trail it wouldnt hit 50mph. Unfortunately Im a mechanical fool and I cant tell you which helix or springs to run. Hopefully somebody else will see this thread and chime in. That was 8000-10000 feet mostly

The area I'm riding will get to 8,000'. Just wondering how bad it will get and if it's important to modify the sled. I'm also running 9 tooth drive but have a spare 8 tooth.

Hey Ruggy, wonder if a quick call to ulmer to dial you in for the ride??
I'm sure he would know.
Envious!! I'd love to ride the mountains!! Ride hard and be safe!!

I think it will be fun. You will be at a bit of a disadvantage on the power side. But if you are only dipping off trail here and there and not doing anything too vertical I am sure you will be fine.

I think it will be fun. You will be at a bit of a disadvantage on the power side. But if you are only dipping off trail here and there and not doing anything too vertical I am sure you will be fine.

I decided to bring the Phazer because after talking to the tour company their base machine is a Skidoo Ace 600. You can upgrade to a 600 Summit with the 154 track if you like. I asked the tour company lady what the track length on the Ace was and she wasn't sure. A quick google search showed 137. My feeling is if they can do this with a 60hp sled with a 137 track then my 80hp phazer with a 144 and 2" paddle shouldn't have an issue.

Last edited:
Bringing your own sled will probably up the fun factor. You don't need to worry about a rental, take time to get familiar with it and best of all, all the tweaking and tuning on the phazer, she deserves a shot to see what she can do!! Having upgraded secondary like most of you guys, testing in powder, I never thought nor experienced so much fun boondocking. Before, it didn't have the zip to get back up on the snow and actually float. Would always kinda just plow. I think you'll do just fine ruggy!! Remember if your short rpm, one twist of the helix is 300rpm(ish).

You are probably right there. Mine could barely hit 50 mph on the trail, but when we were trail riding we rarely were hitting 40mph. As a side note, my rough math says a skidoo 137 should have more track on the snow than our 144's since their tracks are so much wider...

You are probably right there. Mine could barely hit 50 mph on the trail, but when we were trail riding we rarely were hitting 40mph. As a side note, my rough math says a skidoo 137 should have more track on the snow than our 144's since their tracks are so much wider...
How wide is the skidoo track on the Ace?

tmp_27116-2016-01-24 17.47.381172094401.png

Back