• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

phazer spark plug options

faithfullyamaha

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 phazer rtx
so after calling everywhere in town the only place that has spark plugs for my phazer is the stealership.
the plugs the offer are the typical cr9ekb multi ground NGK.
I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any platinum or iridium plugs available for the sled.
cr9ekb.jpg

If anyone has used anything but the plug that is listed in the owners manual please comment.

Always use stock ones. They are designed for your engine.

It'll be a turd most likely without the dual electrodes- or a really hard starter at the least. My TL used the same CR9EKs and I was being a cheap fook and put CR9Es in it. Started like it needed a pony motor to light it off. Not to mention throttle response was poop after that.

i put ngk iridiums for this winter. tested in autumn in garage(with other service parts) , working fine.
i have also ride about 50 km for this winter and they are good. i think better than stock ones..

What's the part number on those iridiums?

I believe its CR9EIX but i have to check it..

Lähetetty minun Metal laitteesta Tapatalkilla

i put ngk iridiums for this winter. tested in autumn in garage(with other service parts) , working fine.
i have also ride about 50 km for this winter and they are good. i think better than stock ones..

OEM recommended plugs are as good as it's gong to get, there is no performance gain when switching to a different plug. You can up the voltage, have 6 electrodes, super exotic plating and it will do absolutely nothing for performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im not saying that oem are poor. I believe they are also Nkg.. And i dont believe they gain power.. But i believe they better for such though condition were sled are (extreme cold, hot, big rpm, closed loop injection and ignition maps etc) if you but them on lawnmover you dont get much from them :)

Thats my opinion.. I also use "better" oils and coolant and brakefluid...oem are always good and reliable choice and that way your sled stays like Yamaha supposed to be..

Thats my opinion.. I also use "better" oils and coolant and brakefluid...oem are always good and reliable choice and that way your sled stays like Yamaha supposed to be..

The reason I quoted you was because you said you think it's better but you didn't explain why. I'm not picking on you, I just want to know why you think it's better then oem. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iridium IX - the alternative for even more power
These high-performance spark plugs with precious metal iridium middle electrode are used by manufacturers as original equipment. They were specially developed for the newest engine technologies, but they are also an alternative to the standard type for older models in order to completely utilise power reserves.

Special characteristics:

The electrode material iridium is almost completely resistant to spark erosion.
Iridium enables an especially narrow middle electrode, with a diameter of only 0.6 mm.
With the small middle electrode, more ignitable mixture reaches the ignition sparks. That leads to a reliable ignition and better spreading of the flame front.

This commercial :) straight from their website. Sorry for that if it is against forum rules..

Reason sometimes for looking at another plug can be for other reasons than performance. Reliability, longevity and price are a few. As strange as it may sound, the iridiums are cheaper.

Been reading up on the subject. As @SXRider7Hundo said, he tried a single ground electrode non-iridium plug and it ran like poop. Another had issues with lean burn popping and used these iridiums as they are slightly colder and cured it. Iridium are just about the best plugs you can get. They last over 100k miles in cars. The stock CR9EKB are just plain plugs with just an extra ground electrode. There may be a reason why Yamaha went with this type of plug and I have a feeling it has to do with the high RPM's these engines scream at. Quite possibly with the fine tip of iridium makes it as good or better than the stock plugs.

@turboapc , please keep us updated on how it goes with these plugs. Mine is experiencing the lean popping and would definitely like to replace my plugs with these.

Back