• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Pilot 6.9 ski's installed

Hi All

I will be putting my pilots on today. Hearing the amount of effort to get the bolt through with all that pressure is a concern though. The weight of the sled should be sufficient to get he bolt through. Perhaps the rubbers need additional trimming?

I jacked up the front of the sled then placed a 2x4 about 12" long under the very inside edge of the ski. lowered jack slowly. then with the weight of the sled on the ski, it was almost bang on aligned. was able to get it in from there.

From Yamaha(false advertising???).....Lightweight SRV Front Suspension
The over-structure design of the SRV chassis creates a rigid mounting point for the unique 30-degree swept design of the SRV front suspension. The “angled” mounting design directs impacts back to the strongest points of the chassis, creating a more stable and predictable ride. Tall, lightweight forged spindles help to deliver an incredibly strong front suspension with controlled camber geometry for stability and LIGHT STEERING EFFORT.

2500 miles on my 6.9s now. Perfect steering effort in all conditions. Hunting and darting only when ruts are hard like freshly groomed soft snow on warm days or icy ruts and freshly fallen wet snow.. Only setup I ever had that would not dart in those conditions were Snowtrackers. Only toed out 1/8 inch. Going to try 1/4.

2500 miles on my 6.9s now. Perfect steering effort in all conditions. Hunting and darting only when ruts are hard like freshly groomed soft snow on warm days or icy ruts and freshly fallen wet snow.. Only setup I ever had that would not dart in those conditions were Snowtrackers. Only toed out 1/8 inch. Going to try 1/4.

I'm surprised at the hunting or darting at all in any conditions with the 6.9's. I have 8" round bars in the center and square 4" on the outside and after riding 1800 miles in all conditions with this 6.9 set up I have not had any hunting or darting.
I would feel comfortable putting a 1 armed 10yr old girl on my sled now. My past few power steering Apex's did not even work near as well. I believe the suspension set up has a ton to do with it.
The QS3R's on the front of my sled is amazing. Little to no spring tension with the compression set a 2 there has been no trail bumpy or not I have not had 100% confidence in my sled now with the 6.9 pilots.

Just My 2 cents on my Winder LTX LE.

^^^^Yup. Had the same thing in those conditions so i jumped on the Apex with simmons and breathed a sigh of relief......same thing.
lol. Nice to have a back up
I'm surprised at the hunting or darting at all in any conditions with the 6.9's. I have 8" round bars in the center and square 4" on the outside and after riding 1800 miles in all conditions with this 6.9 set up I have not had any hunting or darting.
I would feel comfortable putting a 1 armed 10yr old girl on my sled now. My past few power steering Apex's did not even work near as well. I believe the suspension set up has a ton to do with it.
The QS3R's on the front of my sled is amazing. Little to no spring tension with the compression set a 2 there has been no trail bumpy or not I have not had 100% confidence in my sled now with the 6.9 pilots.

Just My 2 cents on my Winder LTX LE.
I have bumped up my rear to max and had my centre wound up two turns. Going to try another 2 turns in the centre. I have the DX so no fancy QS3Rs. Don't know if that makes a difference.

OK Got it! Now toed out 1/4 inch and centre spring bumped up 4 turns. Amazing how small adjustments make a difference!

Looked quickly through the 15 pages on this Thread, and didn't see it mentioned....why aren't we putting T-Cat skis on instead?
I'm hearing T-Cat owners aren't having the same issues as us.
Umm, because this thread is about the Doo Pilot skis. There are other threads about other brands and aftermarket skis in this and other forums. And yes cat skis are working well for some.

Looked quickly through the 15 pages on this Thread, and didn't see it mentioned....why aren't we putting T-Cat skis on instead?
I'm hearing T-Cat owners aren't having the same issues as us.
The cat skis are a very flat/long keel..they will dart like a muther if you dont use a DUAL style carbide. Cats only cure for their simplistic keel design was to install a special dual/offset carbide. How I know this is , try the cat skis with single carbide and you will see how bad the darting is. Did this way back in 2012 , slapped on pilots and never looked back. 5.7s on that old cat worked great with shapers, and the 6.9s are better in every way above the 5.7s.

Cat skis are FAR better then the tuners, for sure....but in firm trails they will dart when using a single carbide. There still is no ski with the unique design of the pilot, and since 2006 I have found them to work well on EVERY sled ive owned, and most of them were NOT doos.

Dan

Back