• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Please, no more posts of air box mods.

I could find fault (with GREAT examples) of that way of thinking all day long!
Here are just a few.
So factory ski's must be the BEST so no reason to change them. Stock shocks, track, suspension, are factory chosen so MUST be the best, right? No reason to change seats, carbides, windshields, handwarmers etc, etc,.
It should be clear by now. If anybody thinks that the engineers scutinize every part for max performance, reliability, durability, better think again.
Its a good thing that all the sharp minds in the aftermarket that bring us all these improved products think OUTSIDE THE BOX!

My post was specific to the air box. I am not sure why you are comparing a plastic ski, and a plastic windshield to a Japanese R1 sportbike racing engine? really?

I completely understand what Macheater is saying and thought it was a great comparison....I have not modded mine yet but I know when I opened up my old RX1, the difference was noticable.

Yama-Rider I agree and they have made real world on a dyno HP using a modded airbox. I respectfully disagree with Michigan Rider, but to each his own. The factory is restricted by many factors including noise level etc. Just like Macheater said there are alot of gains to be had in every facet of these sleds. I would like to point out as a prime example clutching. You cant tell me that all of the clutching modders are worse or have no gains over stock...

Yes, the plastic license plate holder can be improved. I am not talking about all 3000+ parts on the snowmobile, just the air box.

Somebody better let the average snowmobiling public know that having reputable shops like Ulmer, D&D, Excell, and others who have modded airboxes on phazers, vipers, apex's, and others ,with good success know that they are being ripped off!

Seriously, there is no question that the average person who may have questionable skills and knowledge could very easily do more harm than good. And most of these sleds are so finely calibrated from the factory that making a change like an airbox mod can hurt performance without additional add-ons like a fuel controller to correct the a/f ratio.

My only argument is that making a blanket statement like leaving the airbox alone because there are no gains to be made from modding is simply not true.
BTW, the assertion that the factory engineers know best and cannot be outdown is TOTALLY wrong. I've been hearing that same argument for some 40+ years. As has been already stated, its not that they're incompetent, they just have a number of other conflicting goals. And performance may or may not be at the top of the list.

LMAO... Im sorry but this thread just made me laugh..well I guess all my sleds are screwed.
Yup all of my sleds, truck, and bike ahaha. I dont see how you say there is no gain from a airbox mod.. ulmer probably has many dyno sheets so prove you wrong.. i will give you that tho just by doing a air box mod there is barely any difference in the but dyno, but put together with exhaust ect.. there is a very noticeable difference.

Well my 07 Attak with a ram air equipped sled/Excel exhaust is a bit faster than my buddy's non modded air and exhaust.
I guess I should tell him that it's all in his head that I'm faster.

That's it!! I'm calling Mythbusters.:whine:

LMAO... Im sorry but this thread just made me laugh..well I guess all my sleds are screwed.
This is one of those moments where you say #*$&@ did I really hit the SEND button.
We have all done it.HA

Every Apex I have had and I have set up picked up at least 2 mph with the fix ram air lid and that was back to back same day same conditions and with a GPS. They DO work but are noisy for sure.

Back