• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

POLISH THOSE AXIAL AND COLLARS

TOMBOB

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 APEX ER
POLISH THOSE AXIAL AND COLLARS W/ PIC

1.When you have your suspension on the workbench there is axial and/or collars that need attention

2- Pivot 1 arm top has 2-collars, 4 bushing

Pivot 1 arm bottom has 2-collars, 4 bushing

Swing arm has two axial no bushings

Pivot 2 arm upper axial has two bushing (this bushing should be replaced if they show wear)

Mono shock has two collars

Transfer rod has two collars

Use a wire brush that will attach to a drill motor to clean out the shafts, get an extension shaft with setscrews to us on the longer ones

3. Clean up the axial and collars then polish then with a buffing wheel like the one you would use on your tunnel

Use the red stick until they shine to a new surface

4. There are several bushings with these axial and collars polish them as well be careful not to damage them.

When you are done the results is amazing what the extra effort does

What I did was mount buffing wheel in my vice to buff the axial and collars if you have a bench-mounted buffer that even better.

Where there is a bushing with axial or collar they are fixed when installed in the sled (They do not move much). So exterior and interior surface of the bushing needs grease.

I added grease zerts on the pivot arm 2 where bushing is located. The one in center is a waste to get
Grease to this bushings.

All this is little over do but the swing arms axials and shafts should be done every year, there is a lot of movement there.

The pivot 2 arm axial bushing is different problem, the axial and bushing is fixed when installed in the sled. The shaft rotates only ½” in vertical motion, but when you grease it, the grease is in the exterior
Of the bushing, very little grease gets to interior of the bushing where it is needed. I an going to try putting slots in the bushing (used one) to see if that works.

Last edited:

I did not take pictures. I don't think they would do end results that much good. It amazing how this shine up thus axial and shaft

Reference to pivot arm #2 bushings I drilled small holes in a 2-1-2 pattern. Tested it work good to grease into interior of
the bushing.

this scale might be off +/- lbs but 60lbs is a load- the new single shot right direction

if add a grease zert to pivot arm 2 mount it straight down as the pic shows

Back