• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical Power Steering for Sidewinder - BTX & XTX "bone spindle" kits now available

What setting are you running on the kit?

• Front

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Middle

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rear (easiest steering)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When you get to the point it is all fabricated drop in some photos of how it works and I would most certainly be interested as I have been fighting carpel tunnel and tennis elbow issues for the last few years and lighter steering is a must.

Jester

I'll order it asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When you get to the point it is all fabricated drop in some photos of how it works and I would most certainly be interested as I have been fighting carpel tunnel and tennis elbow issues for the last few years and lighter steering is a must.

Jester

I developed tennis elbow with this sled.
Lighter steering would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any chance you could wire in something to it so that the assist level was speed activated. Under 10mph max assist. Under 20 med assist then low assist from there type of deal? Maybe have dial to raise the assist curve to higher mph ranges?
What he's doing isn't electronic. I'm guessing that he's changing the geometry of the linkage where it hooks to the steering post.

Interested as well.

Travis, will you make a kit for the Nytro as well?

Here is his prototype. Should be easier to steer.
IMG_5262.PNG

What he's doing isn't electronic. I'm guessing that he's changing the geometry of the linkage where it hooks to the steering post.
I understand that. But could find a box to do that. Might even be able to use vaccume pressure to do it. Just an idea for something he could play with

I'm baffled as to how this is going to work. But excited to see it! How can you get lighter steering without some sort of electric or hydraulic assist, or changing the ratio... which wouldn't work with handle bars that can only turn so far.

I'm baffled as to how this is going to work. But excited to see it! How can you get lighter steering without some sort of electric or hydraulic assist, or changing the ratio... which wouldn't work with handle bars that can only turn so far.

You are correct...handlebars can only turn so far. When trail riding however you almost never utilize the full range of motion of handlebars. Other than parking lots you really don't cycle bars from stop to stop. I specifically wanted to be sure I trail tested the concept to be sure taking away from turning radius wasn't detrimental. In 110 miles of trail...some very tight and twisty I never had bars turned against stops unable to turn sharp enough.

So....if I can design a product that will make the Sidewinder feel like it has power steering how much interest is there??

I finished up a prototype yesterday and have started testing it. I'm testing it with curve skis....and steering effort is a breeze! I've developed a lot of products for yamaha sleds, and I'm really excited about this one. I think it could be the game changer that pulls my father away from his EPS apex. He's going to ride it tonight and see what he things! Will update after more testing!
I just noticed you are testing with Curves .
As only some feel the Curves steer hard , and a lot think the Tuners steer hard , wouldn't a truer indicator be if you tested with Tuners on ?

Was in NY testing this with Travis the other week. I always liked the power of my 2011 Apex with power steering. The difference Travis's prototype power steering Mod has over the stock setup is truly remarkable. With his new product I would now consider giving up my EPS Apex for a Sidewinder or (Viper). And if you already made the switch from an EPS to the Sidewinder I think this something to consider. "Because you can't explain the benefits of EPS on a snowmobile to someone that does not have it "(especially after a long day on the trails).

Back