• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical Power Steering for Sidewinder - BTX & XTX "bone spindle" kits now available

What setting are you running on the kit?

• Front

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Middle

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rear (easiest steering)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Travis, I have to ask, are you using some type of planetary gear system?

Travis, I have to ask, are you using some type of planetary gear system?
My guess is much simpler. Simply extending the driven link, which changes the input to output ratio.

Last edited:
My guess is much simpler. Simply extending the driven link/adding little input to output ratio.
I bought a device for my 97 700 SX , that I believe was called Easy steer .
It was a replacement bell crank , that changed the ratio.
I never got to try it as the install was beyond the effort I was willing to take to get it on.
Instead I put on triple pipes , and a few other skid adjustments , so the skis were much easier to turn , in the air !!

Can someone explain to me how much effect the Apex Powersteering has at speeds over 30mph? Just asking since buddy with Apexes both with and without cant tell the difference when going faster than that.
I had my EPS trip out a couple winters ago! I noticed the lack of EPS at speeds much higher then 40 to 50mph! But yes at high speeds the EPS has less effect, it always however isolates the vibrational feedback from the Skis! At 60mph cornering is not your main concern. At 60mph you can't take a 90 corner. Tight twisty trails EPS works. High speed sweepers not so much!

Ride with EPS and ride the same trail without it, with the same skis/ carbides, its night and day difference! EPS has kept me sledding when I was ready to give it up because of shoulder and elbow issues. That to me says volumes about whether its a good system or not.

I listen to those who say apply throttle to take weight off the front, great if you slow well before the corner then accelerate. Real world corners have a way of suprising you!

To those who say set it up this way or that and the steering is easy, I say good idea and EPS will make it easier still!

You are correct...handlebars can only turn so far. When trail riding however you almost never utilize the full range of motion of handlebars. Other than parking lots you really don't cycle bars from stop to stop. I specifically wanted to be sure I trail tested the concept to be sure taking away from turning radius wasn't detrimental. In 110 miles of trail...some very tight and twisty I never had bars turned against stops unable to turn sharp enough.

As long as the effect does not make the sled more twitchy at speed then all is good! The EPS effect lessens as speed increases so twitchyness does not occur!

I had my EPS trip out a couple winters ago! I noticed the lack of EPS at speeds much higher then 40 to 50mph! But yes at high speeds the EPS has less effect, it always however isolates the vibrational feedback from the Skis! At 60mph cornering is not your main concern. At 60mph you can't take a 90 corner. Tight twisty trails EPS works. High speed sweepers not so much!

Ride with EPS and ride the same trail without it, with the same skis/ carbides, its night and day difference! EPS has kept me sledding when I was ready to give it up because of shoulder and elbow issues. That to me says volumes about whether its a good system or not.

I listen to those who say apply throttle to take weight off the front, great if you slow well before the corner then accelerate. Real world corners have a way of suprising you!

To those who say set it up this way or that and the steering is easy, I say good idea and EPS will make it easier still!

It is everything Saquatch says , and it allows you to put more ski pressure without the heavy steering concerns.
As my shoulders may be the only joints I am not having issues with , the steering on the SW is not that big of a deal .
The very first ride of the year I drove 25 klms with the sidewinder , and then hopped on the Apex for 25 .
Even with the WRP seat , the SW felt a little higher , after some sag of the WRP .
With all fresh fluffy snow , it was not a good scenario to truly make a steering comparison.
I have snowtrackers on and they were good , was going to switch them on to the SW to see what difference they made on the SW , but never got around to it.
That was the last time I rode the Apex all season .
Never even got the trail permit on it .
I am going to day to the dealer to see about a trade of the Apex , for a Waverunner , Grizzly , or YXZ .
It will take one or all of those new rigs to keep me from missing my Apex , with EPS , Star kit , and 144 tipped up rails .
I would put that skid in my SW as I really like the transfer and plushness , and driveabilty of the 144 tipped.

Last edited:

X2, I run SnowTrackers with powerstering, that way I can use my suspendtion adjustments for what they were intended for. You can still leave weight on the ski's for bite, track straight and steer easy!

X2, I run SnowTrackers with powerstering, that way I can use my suspendtion adjustments for what they were intended for. You can still leave weight on the ski's for bite, track straight and steer easy!

I will be trying the Aggressive Trackers on my Doo 5.7 race skis and 6.9 Doo skis for next season on the Winder too. Should make for much easier steering along with no darting and less pushing.

I will be trying the Aggressive Trackers on my Doo 5.7 race skis and 6.9 Doo skis for next season on the Winder too. Should make for much easier steering along with no darting and less pushing.
I think the Trackers still work the best on the single keel ski's. I know you have run the Trackers for a while Mike what do you think?

I think the Trackers still work the best on the single keel ski's. I know you have run the Trackers for a while Mike what do you think?

Aggressive trackers are far any away my favorite thing I've ever put on any snowmobile. Whatever you put them on it seems to transform, they make for a dart free ride, go where pointed and allow for easier steering as long as the corrector is still in good shape and not worn down, and I agree they work best on a single keel ski. The Doo 5.7 race skis are a single keel ski and what I used on my turbo Doo for many years.

The sidewinder steers easier than my old 1200's so that's a huge plus in my book, but always easier steering is better and I'm curious to see what this gizmo is the OP brings to market. Wish he would let us in on how its coming along for production for next season.

Aggressive trackers are far any away my favorite thing I've ever put on any snowmobile. Whatever you put them on it seems to transform, they make for a dart free ride, go where pointed and allow for easier steering as long as the corrector is still in good shape and not worn down, and I agree they work best on a single keel ski. The Doo 5.7 race skis are a single keel ski and what I used on my turbo Doo for many years.

The sidewinder steers easier than my old 1200's so that's a huge plus in my book, but always easier steering is better and I'm curious to see what this gizmo is the OP brings to market. Wish he would let us in on how its coming along for production for next season.
No doubt Snowtrackers settle the sled like nothing else and the easier steering the better! If I buy a Winder Travis's set up will be looked in to. Also will likely put together a single keel ski with Trackers.

What is the actual difference between semi and aggressive snowtrackers ?
Are the correctors the same ?

Was with the guy today who developed the snowtrackers, there is a new version coming out specifically for the sidewinder, was tested and tweeked this winter, he told me it makes the winder feel like it has power steering!

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk

Was with the guy today who developed the snowtrackers, there is a new version coming out specifically for the sidewinder, was tested and tweeked this winter, he told me it makes the winder feel like it has power steering!

Sent from my SM-T705W using Tapatalk
any idea when ?

Back