• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mechanical Power Steering for Sidewinder - BTX & XTX "bone spindle" kits now available

What setting are you running on the kit?

• Front

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Middle

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rear (easiest steering)

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Summer does put a damper on sled enthusiasm. Travis, if you finish the power steering it would make for a good summer project to help us keep the enthusiasm and give us something to do in the off season that's sled related. ;)

I still check this site 3 times a day! I guess i'm waiting for some new miracle to come out. Speaking of which, what's the dillio on this power steering?

I think I've come up with the final MPS kit design this morning. Most of my products are static, and with this one being in motion there's a lot more to account for. At this point I feel I've met my design targets and they are as follows:

1. Easier steering...concept was tested and proven back in March
2. Bolt on installation....probably less than an hour for most people
3. Cost effective.....less than a set of popular aftermarket skis
4. Safety....attachment points have both lock nuts and cotter pin drilled bolts.
5. Adjustable..... 3 settings for 3 levels of assist.

Going to sleep on this final design for a few nights.

Oh yea...attached is a teaser photo for all of you to scrutinize and speculate just like the spy photos before every Yamaha model year release! Ha.
IMG_0688.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is killing me, and now a spy photo! The most agonizing part of dropping off my 2011 Apex for my new Winder was the letting go of the power steering. I am excited and frightened for my new sled to arrive with a new payment. Summer drags on.

I got nothing from this photo. Nice job. Thanks for giving us something to look at this summer.

I think I've come up with the final MPS kit design this morning. Most of my products are static, and with this one being in motion there's a lot more to account for. At this point I feel I've met my design targets and they are as follows:

1. Easier steering...concept was tested and proven back in March
2. Bolt on installation....probably less than an hour for most people
3. Cost effective.....less than a set of popular aftermarket skis
4. Safety....attachment points have both lock nuts and cotter pin drilled bolts.
5. Adjustable..... 3 settings for 3 levels of assist.

Going to sleep on this final design for a few nights.

Oh yea...attached is a teaser photo for all of you to scrutinize and speculate just like the spy photos before every Yamaha model year release! Ha.
View attachment 129074
Travis, now we have spy photos? This is awesome to get through these summer months!

1_1.png
So my guess is a form of Mechanical force multiplier. Simple example is the arms on a pliers the longer the arm the more force! the length of a hammer and the weight and it hits harder! Looking at an exploded view and making a guess because Travis is saying less then an hour to install It must mount up top of the steering post ( easy to get at ) and must provide some cam type of action

upload_2017-6-26_8-26-14.png
So everyone make a guess and fill in the Blanks !!!!

upload_2017-6-26_10-2-2.jpeg
This product is interesting ! using planetary gears to multiply force..

Epicyclic_gear_ratios.png
I would think the cost would be very high !!

Now that is a cool representation Thanks

Back