• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Preload for 2016 (QS3) LTX-LE front shocks

BLH

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 SR Viper LTX-SE
2023 Sidewinder 137
Anyone know how to set these? Can't find any info anywhere...

On the front start on 2 and ride. If its a slow day you can probably get away with 1 if trails are good. If your out pounding end of,day moguls put it on 2 or 3. Obviously you want to use as much stroke as possible so lower the better. As far as preload i am not sure. In the rear the rear shock same deal, front isnt qs3 and i know there are some,simple updates you can do spring or preload wise.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Really looking for spring preload information. I'm amazed how hard this is to find. It's common information on ATVs/UTVs.

this is just my 2 cents but i'm sure there are others with good suggestions that will chime in. I personally do not have this suspension at home ,yet, but this is how i've always adjusted my sleds in the past.

my suggestion would be to make note of where the preload is now then lift the front, back off the coil pressure until it's full loose then tightened it back up until it's just tight enough not to rattle, then measure and do the same to the other side. I'd start from there with clicker on softest setting and you can always go back to where it was if you need too. I would think you want it to sit level at the front so it handles and is not tippy or lifting the outside ski when cornering. you can then use the clicker knob to try it and see if it's where you like it. If not then make small adjustments (1 or 2 complete turns) to the coils until you are satisfied. Remember that if you do rear shock and or limiter strap adjustments it will affect the front as well so I'd get the rear were you want it first then do the front.

my son just bought a new 17 Viper LTX-LE for next winter and this is what we are going to do on the front if the dealership setting is not working for him. we will get the rear set for first then work on the front.

keep adjusting in small increments and keep notes and you will get it where you like it.

good luck

I use the 30-40% rule. You need to find your full compression front bumper height and your full droop (lift the front until the skis start to lift off the ground) and note the measurements. Lets say you get 10" difference in measurements, you want to subtract 30-40% from the full droop measurement at the bumper, in this case 3"-4" and this is the measurement you want to target. With you on the sled you will adjust the front springs until your at that measurement on the bumper. Target 40% if your a trail cruiser and 30% if your more of an aggressive rider. I use the same rule on the rear suspension also and take the measurement where the rear skid arm bolts to the chassis. That should get you close to where you need to be then fine tune from there.

I have an rtx with those shocks . I did as sgauthier described with springs and found the shocks work best on 2 . In 1 it's a bit softer but they rebound pretty wicked as there's not as much rebound control and the front bounces up and down more so it feels like more energy is transferred into your arm even though it's tech not the softest setting ...... On rear I have tried all 3 spring and shock settings . I have yet to get it to bottom even on full soft . That said it also seems best with shock in 2 for rebound control . I have backed off the center spring some but not fully soft. The rear doesn't work as nice as I would like

Back