• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary clutch exploded

06-10 or 11+ for apex primary mike?

I'm using a 2003 RX-1 primary. My bud has a Apex. the year doesnt matter. Both of us picked up performance over the Winder primary. When I tried the Winder primary once this season, he was pulling away from me, back to the RX-1 primary and we both run even again.

I don't think it matters which old four-stroke primary you put on, as long as it was from a four-stroke 3 or 4 cylinder and has the windows in the spider for the weights to not hit the spider.

Many-many sleds prior to the SideWinder had power levels well above 200HP, turbo Apex's, Vipers, Nytros, 1200Doo's, Cat 1100 turbos. Most of them are perfectly happy on old Yamaha primaries, PB-80's and of course the host of Aftermarket primaries.

Where Yamaha messed up was having them sourced to China for the winder. When steel post's crack on them and they start binding up, you know they cant take the power, and that is what is showing up on them now, which was a very rare occurrence on the old Yamaha primaries. Many Apex's ran them upwards of 400 HP, 300 HP with ease and on cheap 8DN belts as well. Of course the Apex was gear reduced and had a cushioned drive as well, but many are running the old Yamaha primary on the 1200 Doo with complete success, and if a clutch will live on the 1200, it should live on the 998 Yamaha with ease. The 1200 Rotax is very hard on primaries.
Mike,do you think the apex primary clutches for say 2011 apex and up to 2018 apex would still be made with good materials? The reason I ask is Babbitts has brand new apex primary,s complete from 2011 through 2018 apex for $447.47 new in box. Seems like a fair price for a brand new primary,of course no weights or spring,but I believe it has the collers and bolts and nuts for ramps,and also has the rollers installed for that price.

I don't doubt it one bit Mike. I have been Bitching about this every time I work on the clutches. That moveable just doesn't want to slide. In tempted to put a thin coating of never seize in there or I thought about using some lapping compound to maybe loosen the tolerances.

They slide alot easier once theres some miles on it. My 12000km primary slides too easy, needs slider buttons now.

Mike,do you think the apex primary clutches for say 2011 apex and up to 2018 apex would still be made with good materials? The reason I ask is Babbitts has brand new apex primary,s complete from 2011 through 2018 apex for $447.47 new in box. Seems like a fair price for a brand new primary,of course no weights or spring,but I believe it has the collers and bolts and nuts for ramps,and also has the rollers installed for that price.

Are you talking what they call Alternate Rebuild Kit.
That kit for the Wider is $362 and comes in pieces so assembly required.
It comes complete except for rollers, ramps and spring.

Just an FYI.

I'd have no idea for certain Pete, but I'd think they'd be of good quality. One thing I know is my bud an I both picked up performance and have no more roller or belt issues, its all in the rearview mirror. I even used the stock 8JP belt last week on a Dalton black/orange secondary spring, could never have done that before and kept a belt on it using the winder primary, it would always slip. The old primary clutch has fixed all that has ailed me the last three years!

I just had my second primary explode in 7000 miles the first time i was away working and someone else had my sled Yamaha came good for it. I didnt get a chance to look at the clutch to see what issue was this time i believe the slides in the spider wore and allowed the spider to turn a little further and not be centered could have possibly then side loaded the clutch weight. Just my thought on mine anyways

Back