• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Problem after installing clutch kit

You will have to pull the tensioner and check, it's also possible you jumped some teeth. Anything can be fixed. It could also possibly be your starter clutch. That my friend is in a shitty spot.

Well at least I know what I did wrong. Thanks for shedding some light on this. I might just park it for the winter. I'm not familiar with doing much work on the 4 stroke, I'll have to do some reading and searching on here. I'll see if I can gather up enough info to do it.

Cam chain auto tensioner is hooped. You can NOT turn these engines backwards/reverse.

What he said, not supposed to turn the motors backwards. Not sure what damage happens, but sounds like the cylinder head needs to come off to inspect?

Thanks again...I'll put it away for the winter...too mad at myself to spend anymore time on it. Summertime I'll pull it and maybe put another engine in....I'll slowly disassemble it to see what happened....I dont have much hope though.

Since I found an engine I decided to pull the old one out. I took the head off the old engine and there was some damage to the clutch side piston, valves broken off and bent too. The other cylinders didn't appear to have any damage. A bit of scuffing at the top of the cylinder wall...very little though. I'll post some pictures later on.

Good to see you are back at it. No doubt you will have it back running better than ever. By way of consolation, did you notice that there is a thread warning against turning these engines backwards in the Sidewinder section. It appeared after your troubles but some very experienced members said they hadn't known about it so I hope you've cut yourself some slack. Good luck, you'll love your sled next winter.

Back