• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rails

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
Tricky Nick sent me pics of the new Yamaha mountain rails superimposed with M8 rails. Yamaha MTX rails are longer in the front by 3.9 inches to get the front end light, I used skid shock relocation to accomplish the same but obviously there's is better. Looks like I will be buying a set of these rails for the girlfriends Viper. My Viper has Ice Age rails and I think I will stay with those.

This is very interesting. Good find.

I have the iceage rails as well for a timbersled skid. I wonder how this differs?

I have yet to ride my Viper with the ice age rails on the snow. Hope I don't have to mod it because I don't see a place to relocate mount hole. I guess lengthening the shock or finding a longer one is possible. Anxious to try it out though

Well I don't know if I'm going to go 153 3" or stay at the 141 2.6 (if it's available) now after reading this... to get the proper rails I would have to order the 153 yamaha rails not just use a cat 153..only thing I see that is somewhat bothersome, is with them adding 3.9" of forward rail, that adds (or increases) the approach angle on the track.. and by adding either spring pressure or relocating the front lower mount forward, that decreases the ability of the skid to "climb on top" of the snow. Also allowing the track trench more.. on harder more packed snow it may make the front feel lighter but in the deep fluffy snow it may actually hurt your ability to climb. Even tho it helps with front end lift. Trying to find the perfect balance of both should be found this winter with guys out riding these different setups!
Keep us posted on what works and/or doesnt ;)!

Well I don't know if I'm going to go 153 3" or stay at the 141 2.6 (if it's available) now after reading this... to get the proper rails I would have to order the 153 yamaha rails not just use a cat 153..only thing I see that is somewhat bothersome, is with them adding 3.9" of forward rail, that adds(or increases) the approach angle on the track.. and by adding either spring pressure or relocating the front lower mount forward, that decreases the ability of the skid to "climb on top" of the snow. Also allowing the track trench more.. on harder more packed snow it may make the front feel lighter but in the deep fluffy snow it may actually hurt your ability to climb. Even tho it helps with front end lift. Trying to find the perfect balance of both should be found this winter with guys out riding these different setups!

This seems to be the current trend with the 2 strokes, look at the approach on the RMK or XM! In order for them to sidehill constantly, they need the track chewing away without planing out on top of the snow. As a guy that prefers hillclimbing to boondocking, this is a step backwards...

Well I don't know if I'm going to go 153 3" or stay at the 141 2.6 (if it's available) now after reading this... to get the proper rails I would have to order the 153 yamaha rails not just use a cat 153..only thing I see that is somewhat bothersome, is with them adding 3.9" of forward rail, that adds (or increases) the approach angle on the track.. and by adding either spring pressure or relocating the front lower mount forward, that decreases the ability of the skid to "climb on top" of the snow. Also allowing the track trench more.. on harder more packed snow it may make the front feel lighter but in the deep fluffy snow it may actually hurt your ability to climb. Even tho it helps with front end lift. Trying to find the perfect balance of both should be found this winter with guys out riding these different setups!

Or put Cat rails on and drill extra skid shock mounting holes so you can put where you want it. As last weekend the front did not feel light enough for me I am going to send out my skid shock to have lengthened, as there is not a place I can redrill a hole in the ice age rails (yes I should have went Cat for the rails). Please note mine is a converted 2014 XTX, the MTX may have solved this.

Or put Cat rails on and drill extra skid shock mounting holes so you can put where you want it. As last weekend the front did not feel light enough for me I am going to send out my skid shock to have lengthened, as there is not a place I can redrill a hole in the ice age rails (yes I should have went Cat for the rails). Please note mine is a converted 2014 XTX, the MTX may have solved this.
Can you post a pic of the XTX front skid mounting position on the tunnel. I want to compare it with the MTX mounting hole.

Ok I have tracked down the part numbers and I ordered a stiffer spring for my front skid shock. Will let you know how it works after testing.

Viper XTX stock 1704-236 at 110 pounds

Cat spring (also on 2015 RTX) 1704-461 at 135 pounds.

I will be putting the Cat one in.

Back