• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rear end issues on kodiaks?

kallio

the rear end on the weekend got so hot it was smoking. I let it sit for a couple hours beofre riding it back to camp and when i pulled the bolt to check the oil level it was way down. My buddy had the same thing happen almost a month prior to this on the same bike. The oil only has maybe 500km on it - anyone know if they have an issue? I though maybe the rear brake was sticking but pushing the bike in neutral showed no signs of this?

Secondly, what kind of oil can i use - the manual isn't very helpful and the closest dealer closes long before I get off work since i moved.

thanks

usually specs 90weight oil. just put 80w90 in it or you could go synthetic for the bearings to run cooler.

I owned an 03 kodiak and it put oil out thru the vent hose. Hose was routed up to the rightside of the air box. Dealer said to much oil which was not the case as it would put a little out most rides even when low.
My fix was to route the vent hose so there were no dips and could drain back. Next I took a small old style fuel filter, poked a hole thru the inside and mounted it up near the air box, also so it could drain back. This was like a volume bottle in the vent line. Put a bit of hose on it so no dirt gets in.
This solved my problem.
Not sure if heat on the vent hose caused a pumping action or probably oil just splashed into the hose and was pushed out by heat expansion.
Used 75W-90 syn. oil.

Back