• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RS Venture passenger hand warmers

Darylt

I have a brand new 05 RS Venture. My passenger hand grips don't work. I know this because my buddies didn't work last year either.

I have the problem to be at the relay. There are the two needed powers at the relay (1 for power out, 1 for relay energization)and the output to rear switch is OK. The problem lies in the control circuit from the computer to the relay. The ground that should be supplied from the computer isn't a ground at all, but a weak power supply (glows weak with test light).

By disconnecting the ground wire coming from the computer at the relay and running it to ground, rear grips work fine.

I wonder after reading these posts if people who have discussed WEAK rear grip warmers are actually experiencing this problem.

This problem wasn't fixed by the replacement of the computer last winter on my buddies 05 RS Venture.

I haven't found any bulletins or posts discussing this but surely we don't have the only 2 RS's with this problem.

Power supply is a limited ressource....
Power to rear grip warmer will be fed only at some RPM, which will be above idle. (red that somewhere last year) Redo your test & rev it up a bit to trig it. It be good then to get back to us at which RPM you had the power, if any.

Doesn't matter if at idle or WOT, the computer doesn't send the ground signal to energize relay.

Hey you ask a question... because you don't know...don't say it does not matter.. it does. The da.. relay will trigger only if you rev above idle. Under certain condition it will not close at all so to protect and keep the CPU to starve from power... in case your batery is very low for example. The only thing is that i do not recall at which REV the trigger is. All i ask you to do is test and refresh us with the REV number. .... in exchange of the good tips we give you !!!! (joke lol)

You seem to be stuck on power and battery drain worries. The relay has the power suppplies it needs, it isn't getting the correct ground EVER. I also think you are missing the meaning of "doesn't matter"

Maybe someone who has experienced this or knows the proper fix can reply. I know how to fix it, but shouldn't have to chop and ground wires on a $13000 sled.

So Darylt,
could you found why your computer doesn't send the ground signal to energize the relay ? (other than the RPM)

Well, seems like your busy Dt...
Since i had a minute today, i went out and get the number for ya.
The CPU will supply a ground to the rear grip warmer relay so to energize it, at 3600 rpm & above. ..so don't expect anything at idle unless as you say, must chop up your $12000 cable hardness. This test was conducted on my RS Venture, but i'd expect the same on the entire RS platform.

I found another hidden power thing but if ever Darylt ever see this then better be ready to be the power freak.... so i'll pass.

I currently have 4 more test units for fixing this that I would like to get out there & testing!

The ECU determines whether to turn the rear grips on or not, based on RPM & charging voltage.
However, the charging voltage has to be absolute max before the ECU allows the rear grips to turn on.
(Unfortunately, your sled rarely gets to that point where it is fully charged AND the RPMs are high enough to let the rear grips turn on.)

The VPW(Venture Passenger Warmer) YamaHeater checks to make sure the battery IS charging and then will allow the Rear Grips to operate properly.
The grips will get Warm, even at Idle!
(That way, your Passenger starts out every ride WARM, same as the YamaHeaters for the front grips.)

It is a simply Plug & Play install.
Takes a few minutes and done!

Every unit&install has performed flawlessly, however would like to get a larger sampling and more varied test conditions.

The VPW YamaHeater is under OPTIONS on the ORDER page here: www.yamaheater.com

Hope this helps!
Rock :-o

PS Know this is an old thread, hoping some of the guys are still around and to help others searching for the problem and the fix.

Back