• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Retro-Fit Nytro Seat - UPDATE!

4Fighter

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'07 Attak GT
These are some pics of the install on my '04 RX-1 (extended)

This modification requires a Nytro tank cover, or some customizing of the existing cover. I chose the latter. I removed the stock seat and traced the bottom edge of the tank cover, onto the gas tank with a magic marker. Then I removed the cover and placed the Nytro seat on the sled, and bolted it down. Next I traced the top edge of the seat, onto the tank, and transfered the diff. to the inside of the cover. I ended up taking off about 3-1/4" - 3-1/2" off at the center, tapering down to the edges. I used a dremel with a cut-off wheel, and taped the painted side with masking tape.

I also noticed that since I installed the Expert-X, my '04 seat was starting to wear, at the point where the bottom edges of the seat covered the exterior reinforcing brackets. So to protect this $585.00 investment, I had to carefully take a cut-off wheel and a grinder to cut the back-ends of the brackets down.

You simply use the tail-light housing and mounting hooks from your '03, '04, '05, '06 (RS), and the seat should come with the pig-tail for the lights, already installed.

One other modification that I chose to do was to secure the edges of the vinyl, under the seat, with aluminum tape. It is my hope to prevent any tearing of the fabric from the staples, and to prevent water from getting into the foam.

See comments below for the ride quality.

IMHO: You can stuff Trophy game, Turkeys, pizza crust, peppers, and even yourself at a good buffet, but you shouldn't have to stuff a snowmobile seat in this day and age (see avatar at left). Yamaha finally got it right.

Attachments

• Nytro Seat 1_WEB.jpg
    Nytro Seat 1_WEB.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 1,394
  • Nytro Seat 3_WEB.jpg
    Nytro Seat 3_WEB.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 1,339
  • Nytro Seat 2_WEB.jpg
    Nytro Seat 2_WEB.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 1,601

bjowett said:
Looks great! ;)!

Are you installing long arms on the front?

Thanks!

No. I am more or less rebuilding the suspension with Nylatron bushings, and other OEM parts that aren't available as of yet. I couldn't go wider, my sled wouldn't fit inside my buddy's trailer when we go to Canada. I live in the UP, and don't have a need for one ;)

Very nice Brian! ;)! Looks like it belongs on there. Got to be a nice improvement over the '04 seat.

Better finish up, heard there's some good snow up there. Got some down here too.

whits-end said:
Just curious:

What suspension settings are you running?
Softness?
Transfer?
Spring thread showing?
Shock angle? (1? 2? 3?)

Whichever setup softens the bumps on the trail, or keeps the skid from bottoming ;) - Not being a smart A$$, Depending on conditions, I tend to monkey with the setup to get what I want.

Right now, I think the spring is on #3 from the highest, softness is almost out all the way, and the transfer is on max. I did this for some wheelie pics, and it seems to work OK, but will change again.

Thanks for the comments fellas ;)! "'04 with a trunk" That's EXACTLY what I wanted. Can't wait to put some junk in the trunk LOL

whits-end said:
I was just asking cuz the pics look very high, and to me it seems like that might make it stiffer in the stutters.

Sometimes. I think shock re-valving is a must for these things. But I find that if it sits too low it's much much worse.

I had my shocks re-valved with stiffer compression and rebound. I found the stock shocks too soft with the 136. There was too much slap in the skid. Now ride is much firmer but better.

sledheadgeorge said:
I had my shocks re-valved with stiffer compression and rebound. I found the stock shocks too soft with the 136. There was too much slap in the skid. Now ride is much firmer but better.

Very very interesting... I would actually like to have some softness to the skid, but it isn't too hard that it's beating me yet. I honestly don't think I have enough time on the skid to become totally familiar with it.

BTW: What do the diff. nut positions do for the "softness" adjustment? I.e. more threads = ??? AND

Have you pulled in the limiter straps any?

The slap in the skid was more prevelant during aggressive riding. You can still soften it up by adjusting shock angle.

The different shock position makes it firmmer or softer. And yes I pulled the limiter in cause the first time the turbo kicked in with that skid I almost flipped it over.

BTW let me know how the seat works out when you get some time in the saddel. Nice installation. I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Well I put about 200 miles on the Nytro seat, and in a word, WOW!!! Absolutely NO sore knees, hips, back, or butt after either of the two trips (80 miles, 122 miles) I took this weekend.

This is a dream. Great riding position, if a little cold for tall people (Tek-Vest also helps with this), but the transition from sitting to standing is effortless. I sat on an Attak and it is noticeably softer, lower in comparison, and still better than an '04 or '05 seat, and yet, the Nytro seat is not as stiff as I thought it would be.

The seat acts as a shock absorder and with the narrow forward design it is very comfortable to ride thru a bumpy corner while leaning. Having the trunk may not seem like a big deal to some, but on the RX-1, it is a HUGE feature. Even the people on non-Yamahas commented that it was the kind of seat they needed.

It is a little pricey, but I highly recommend this ergonomic modification for ANYONE who is over 6'-3" or is tired of the dated look and feel of the RX-1/Warrior, while maintaning the OEM look. IMHO: This has got to be the best OEM seat in the industry.

Yamaha,

Thanks for making this product retro-fit. Bravo!!! :Rockon: :yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

Back