• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Safety equipment

I think it is important to stress safety especially this time of year as it helps develope good habit patterns that may last though the whole season. As the season wears on and we all bear out teeth a little more, it will be even more important to ride safe. Personally I would rather see safety issues and promotion not at the bottom of the site but the top, so that it gets the attention safe enjoyable riding deserves. I would love to see more people post tricks and nice to know infor about safety and riding performance.

A hell of a lot more than when I first started. I suspect with you being a new Dad, you will be thinking about your newborn each time you hit a corner a little faster than planned. ;)!

Now when riding, I am always planning for the worst and thinking about what could go wrong before taking action. Blind curves that I use to zip around, I now think about what if someone else was coming the other way. I also think about everyone in the group rather than just myself, and often stop and warn people about possible problems when riding on familiar trails. There are just too many bad stories from others than others need to learn from. Those stories almost always start I never thought it would happen to me or my group ...

It is still a fun sport and I still have a great time, just more safety concisions.

Aye! Kids will do that to you, and unfortunately crashing, or knowing someone who has, or worse.

warrior63 said:
Personally I would rather see safety issues and promotion not at the bottom of the site but the top, so that it gets the attention safe enjoyable riding deserves. I would love to see more people post tricks and nice to know infor about safety and riding performance.
Good point! ;)!

IMHO: The industry hasn't really done a whole lot to promote the safety aspect. Not as much as it has with respect to performance, competition, tourism, and recreation, and which hand signals to use, and when. Too many articles, and advertisements in the magazines centered around the snowmobile, and not the attitude to drive one safely. There are allot more ads about stuff to make you go faster, corner harder, or ride better, or which sled offers the most whiz-bang features and performance. It's a shame that anyone should have to flag someone to get them to slow down, and prepare for another on-coming sled.

Conversely, take the sport of paint-ball. You can pick-up almost any magazine and you will find numerous re-inforcements and reminders about how to safely, and responsibly handle and use a paint-ball marker. Read any NRA pamphlet or magazine and you will come across the same "safety" oriented information. Most of these articles are responses to tragic events that have occured long ago, and brought with them some level of negative publicity, and now the 2nd ammendment is being threatened as a result.

If the publishers of our snowmobile media are already assuming that everyone know's about or practices zero-tolerance, and safe riding, then they are helping to do more damage to our sport then good. I'm not saying that it isn't being promoted, or that these publishers aren't appreciated, but how many safety concious articles and internet threads are there compared to the ones that help us go faster, or buy the fastest sled? There are still riders out there who are slow to realize that trails are for everyone, and everyone is on them - so slow-down, stay to the right, and expect the unexpected. I've been riding for almost 28 years, and only recently have I taken a serious interest in changing my riding habbits. Sometimes we may need to change our groups as well, but whatever it takes to get to and fro safely, it should be taken more seriously.

Ironically, this January, I knicked my knuckles on a CHEAP chop saw because the guard failed, and I got a little lax. While I was waiting at the ER, 6 people came in because 1 guy broke his foot, jumping his sled while riding up near paradise (1 hour away), I think it was??? Anyway, 6 people were NOT riding because of 1 person getting hurt. Kind of puts things into perspective for those who use-up vacation days, make lodging reservations, and drive 5 or more hours, for 2-3 days of recreation. I also met a guy who didn't have studs and rolled his sled on an icy corner - breaking his arm. First time he'd been able to ride in a couple years, and he got a 30 min. ride in the morning, and a trip to the ER, an $80 bill, and a 4 hour nap on a couch - while the rest of us enjoyed the day riding.

I'm not trying to drag anybody down, but we need to take safety more seriously. It shouldn't have to take an accident to change your attitude. Accidents happen, but I wonder how many of those are from careless riding, or inadequate safety measures, like studs for instance which the lack-there-of has luckily only given me a few face-fulls of snow, busted hoods, etc... Unfortunately, my sister-in-law a broken wrist, and my friend a busted hood and her friend, a sore neck when he spun-out and hit her sled with his head?

me!

Lot more now then when I first started. I come from a long career of racing motocross, ovals, and drags. Can tell you this: On the race track, they don't come at you,: and on the racetrack, all riders pay attention.

I always assume some idiot blair morgan wanna be is around the next corner, hill or blind approach. I thought about giving up the sprot when I had new borns and toddlers at home. Now we ride together and just take our time.

;)!

Back