• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Schmidt Bros. Apex/Rx-1 monster stage 2 clutch kit

Skeeter

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2004 RX-1PEX
Wondered if anyone has tried this low engagement clutch kit. Any comments would be helpful. Thinking of purchasing for next season.

I don't have the full Stage 2 kit, but I put the comfort spring in both my Nytro and Apex. Made a huge improvement with the lower rpm clutch engagement. Easier to move around things or load/unload without having it launch at such a high rpm. I'll probably put the remaining stage 2 parts on the Apex this summer.

Wondered if anyone has tried this low engagement clutch kit. Any comments would be helpful. Thinking of purchasing for next season.
I put in the lower engagement spring in from Dalton (orange color) works very good for low speed and in tight trails and high speed runs, had SM stage 2 clutch kit and helix plus low engagement spring in my xtx phazer last year took a lot of trial and error and time to get the kit to work right.

I don't have the full Stage 2 kit, but I put the comfort spring in both my Nytro and Apex. Made a huge improvement with the lower rpm clutch engagement. Easier to move around things or load/unload without having it launch at such a high rpm. I'll probably put the remaining stage 2 parts on the Apex this summer.
Before you order the stage 2 kit from SM make sure the bolt and nut combo he uses for weights with his kit will work on your clutch, this is what I run into last year with his kit, they will bind your clutches, I was not informed of this till after I bought his kit, then I had to buy his modified weights which took 2 more weeks to get to me, winter was just about over for me in this area when I received the weights. :mad:

I installed his stage 2 clutch kit on my Apex last year. Big improvement at lower speeds, way smoother! A noticeable midrange pull improvement also. I would highly recommend it.
I also sent him my primary clutch to have the overdrive machining done for a bit more top end.
The kit comes with a helix, primary spring and new rivets for the weights. (No nuts and bolts)

I am running their kit, stage 2 kit and had the overdrive done as well. Improved low end engagement as noted above and the top-end came back with the overdrive done. Was running another "performance" clutch kit and I seemed to lose my top-end. Maybe with the overdrive associated with SB Racing it was the necessary difference to bring it back, but definitely happy with their combo.

I am running their kit, stage 2 kit and had the overdrive done as well. Improved low end engagement as noted above and the top-end came back with the overdrive done. Was running another "performance" clutch kit and I seemed to lose my top-end. Maybe with the overdrive associated with SB Racing it was the necessary difference to bring it back, but definitely happy with their combo.

Last edited:
I have the same issue with my current clutch mod. Loss of top end but also a terrible, constant ringing at trail speed (@6,000 rpm) I have been running this setup since 2004. Time for a change! Want lower engagement plus.....
Just curious about a couple of things. What model and year do you have this installed on? How is the midrange compared to your old clutch setup? Did your gas mileage improve? Thanks in advance

I have it on a '13 Apex XTX. I had the other clutch kit on since day one, but last year at the beginning of the season, I put on SB's kit. To compare side by side on the mid-range I really can't due to being off of it all summer. Normal gas mileage was 13-14.5 mpg, which I am happy with. PCV, air box mod, shorter air horns. This year my mileage has been down, which I would blame on soft snow conditions due to mild temperatures, and also last week I just changed my exhaust donut gaskets were worn out, and I haven't ridden her since. Think Snow.

Back