• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Seized btx turbo

corey miskolczi

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
sidewinder btx, viper mtx, venture tf
I have 1 mile on my btx turbo and the turbine in the turbo is seized. I was going to put a evo bullet exhaust on sled, this is when i tried to spin turbine by hand. I started the sled and still no movement. Goin in to dealer monday. There is also a guy from Michigan with same problem. Yamaha replaced entire turbo for him. Anybody else here of similiar situation?

It's not the first post i see about seized turbo (seen on Facebook as well). For a newbie, such as myself that would never try to disassemble the machine to see if it is spinning: How noticeable is it when driving if the turbo is broken, is it a lot slower compared to e.g. a stock Viper or Nytro?

My SW B-TX feels much faster than my Nytro, but I cannot feel that "I can hardly hold on" power that some people are describing. But on the other hand it's still under break in so I have not squeezed the throttle for a longer duration. It's my first turbo sled, don't really know what to expect of it.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid and should enjoy the ride instead? ;)

Took sled to dealer and told me there was rust build up in turbo preventing turbine to turn. Yamaha is replacing the complete turbo. There is a update to the heatshield i think. They said the turbo is backordered. First week in January expected arrival

You will DEFINITELY know if there's no boost. What, 50 hp drop? Plus not running right. I had the vacuum lever on my Kenne Bell supercharged mustang slip out of its spline, so no boost signal. Knew it right away. Cummins diesel with turbo, no boost, a turd.

You will DEFINITELY know if there's no boost. What, 50 hp drop? Plus not running right. I had the vacuum lever on my Kenne Bell supercharged mustang slip out of its spline, so no boost signal. Knew it right away. Cummins diesel with turbo, no boost, a turd.
This....Blew a turbo hose off my Duramax and the truck could barely get to 40mph. If the turbo is shot you will know immediately.

It's not the first post i see about seized turbo (seen on Facebook as well). For a newbie, such as myself that would never try to disassemble the machine to see if it is spinning: How noticeable is it when driving if the turbo is broken, is it a lot slower compared to e.g. a stock Viper or Nytro?

My SW B-TX feels much faster than my Nytro, but I cannot feel that "I can hardly hold on" power that some people are describing. But on the other hand it's still under break in so I have not squeezed the throttle for a longer duration. It's my first turbo sled, don't really know what to expect of it.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid and should enjoy the ride instead? ;)

i feel ya. i checked mine for spin when i replaced the 6 bolts at exhaust. read trail forum if that hasn't come up over here (my first read over here) and is applicable to all sleds. the 6 torx bolts may be impossible to get off later for chain adjustment or chain case access. replace with hex head with high temp never seize too. wanted to add, i just did a primary clutch kit, easy to do, no special tools required, and it has that amazing arm ripping pull now that you hear about. its said that stock weights are lazy performers. this was my first clutch, so don't fear the job if you know which end of a wrench to hold.

another dude was told of the turbo delay...free'd it up by hand and I guess working it...then rode it and boost back...?

Back