• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Serious electrical issue with headlights!!! Help!

scott bardwell

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder LTX DX
My headlights which are stock stopped working suddenly. I just got around to looking into a cause and found badly melted connectors where they plug into the stock headlight bulbs. The right side clearly shorted badly and melted the connector beyond recognition and the left side is showing signs of overheating with the connector slightly melted as well.
Does anyone have any idea as to why this happened, How to fix the issue and does anyone have a source where just the bulb connector can be purchased?
Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5491.JPG
    IMG_5491.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5492.JPG
    IMG_5492.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 108

My headlights which are stock stopped working suddenly. I just got around to looking into a cause and found badly melted connectors where they plug into the stock headlight bulbs. The right side clearly shorted badly and melted the connector beyond recognition and the left side is showing signs of overheating with the connector slightly melted as well.
Does anyone have any idea as to why this happened, How to fix the issue and does anyone have a source where just the bulb connector can be purchased?
Thanks for your help!
Local auto stores will have the plugs for H4 but need to figure out reason for burnt ones. I have seen exactly that from a corroded connection but yours look fine?

is the taillight in the same circuit? wonder if the wires at the rear are grounding out heating up?....wild guess lol

Your signature says that you are running an HID kit, but those are standard bulbs. Did you modify or add anything aftermarket to the lighting on the sled?

I had the HID kit installed and had issues with it (one side wasn't working) so I removed it and reinstalled the factory bulbs. When I reinstalled the factory bulbs there was no evidence of damage to the connectors. After awhile one side stopped working suddenly and then the other side blew.
The only electrical ads ons came with the 240 hurricane kit including a PCV and wide band module which appear to be working fine other than the fact that my Pod 300 LCD display won't power up for some reason.

Check the grounds for the headlights... A corroded or lower grind will cause the circuit to heat up and melt the connector. Common issue on cars.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Should have under 2 ohms resistance to ground. Less the better. Not sure how the circuit is run but I would start there.

Should have under 2 ohms resistance to ground. Less the better. Not sure how the circuit is run but I would start there.

Thanks a lot for the advice....I will check the grounds out, that makes sense.

I think the ground is the same ground as the accessories plug and gauges if I remember right. You might want to check the fuse ,it's only supposed to be a 20amp fuse for the headlights.

Check the grounds for the headlights... A corroded or lower grind will cause the circuit to heat up and melt the connector. Common issue on cars.

The grounds all appear intact and in good condition.

Well if the grounds are good... I would splice in new connectors and install new bulbs. It's possible the bulb itself shorted and melted the connector. Just make sure with an ohm meter that your circuit is good ground side and power side. Each wire end to end.

The grounds all appear intact and in good condition.
I would bet that the connectors/sockets were bad, possibly unknowingly damaged while installing the other kit. The sockets rely on a pressure fit connection to maintain contact with the bulb. If the fitting was damaged the lamp would still light and all would seem normal until the connection heated up and you had the failure. At that point I'm sure if you had checked the connector heat or damage would have been observed at the socket. The bad or lose connection would produce tremendous heat however the fuse would be fine and in most cases the load would continue to operate. I think cannondale27 has the right idea. Replace the sockets. You should be fine.

Back