• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Setting belt deflection tip

Shootis

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Vector LTX GT
2005 Rs Vector
I had a issue with the belt squealing at idle with my 05 Vector. So looked at the belt specs in the service manual and everything was spot on. Next I cleaned both clutches and decided to see if any washers were on the bolts on the back of the secondary.

I had no washers but i noticed the end of the bolts looked worn down . I pulled the secondary off my 08 and sure enough the 05 bolts were shorter by a noticeable amount.

I picked up new secondary bolts and washers at the dealer and took some measurements of the bolt thread length and the outside width of the secondary before and after. I tried to take the measurements in the same spots but I really didn't worry too much on this. I didn't have the washers on for the measurements.

Old bolts: 14.70 mm
New bolts: 15.88mm, 1.18 mm longer

Secondary width with old bolts: 44.74mm
Secondary width with new bolts: 46.35mm, 1.61mm wider

So if you are having problems getting the belt deflection set correctly, take a look at the bolts. It seems to me that they are a wear item on high mileage sleds.

What thickness washers are you using or did you not install new washers?

Great post! They do wear! Replaced them on my 2005 Vector a few years back.

What thickness washers are you using or did you not install new washers?
I believe they gave me the 1mm washers.

We just got back from a 150 mile ride around Millinocket Maine and the trails were excellent! We saw maybe 20 other riders all day, it was like we owned the place. :)

Shootis, thanks for bringing up this topic and in such a timely manner for me. This year , my Vector kept creeping after I would stop. I put a new belt on and no change as it still wanted to keep going. As you suggested, I replaced the three bolts to the rear of the driven. Now the clutching works beautifully. Looking at the old bolts, I noticed that they were worn well into the threads. Thanks again for the information. Its hard to believe that such an annoying problem can have such a simple solution. By the way, I have been to Millinocket many time in past years. I never saw any snow up there.

I'm glad to hear it helped. I was surprised to find out its a wear item and never would have suspected the huge difference they can make.

My first clue was that a dealer up north actually had them in stock.

Back