• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sidewinder 162 mtx shock setup

Rick778

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder mtx
I'm looking for suggestions on the perfect shock setup for my mtx.
240lbs . Had my first ride in the mountains this weekend.
Front shocks 75 psi
Centre about 3/4 from top
Rear 100 psi.

I had the centre higher up initially but the sled was squirly to ride and trenched badly.
Lowering centre shock gave me better tracking and more floatation but it was harder to pull the sled on its side, for side hills and turn ups. ski lift with a bit of extra throttle and steering in steep climbs were good.

Next ride I will lower front shocks to 70 or 65
Decrease centre shock further for more floatation.

Any thoughts on the perfect setup

I'm just all around not happy with the shocks on my mtx ! But I'm spoiled from having custom valved exit x1 on all 4 of my nytro I ran in Cain's quest !! The minute I can get away with ordering custom shocks and the misses not killing me I'm pulling the trigger !

I have floats all the way around on my viper mtx turbo. First off I would get on the youtube and watch skinz shock therapy videos. Lots to be learned about setting up you suspension.

The key is getting the skid to carry the weight about 55-60 percent I find with you on it. Common misconception is running front shocks soft. This transfers the weight up front creating heavier steering and making it difficult to roll on to edge. It also makes sled dive and trench out from a dead stop. Key is to only have 3/4" sag on front shocks. I am 200 rtr and my shocks are at 80 psi in main chamber and 140 in evol. My center shock is about 70 psi and rear is about 120-130 psi. I have about 3 inches of sag in rear suspension. The sled rolls on edge easily and does not trench. You can literally crawl ahead and pin and wiggle if you like.

2 days riding Golden BC, tried some 8 inch sly dogs, the stocks skis works 100% better.
Finally got suspension set up to work, I watched skinz video and set the sled up accordingly it was still trenching in deep powder climbs.

Spent the whole night reading forums on suspension setting..
2nd day I put the stock skis back on, front shocks 100 psi
Centre spring, I turned sled on its side, slacked the nut on the spring completely and tightened it finger tight only and locked it.
Rear shock 140 psi.

Riding conditions 3 feet powder last 7 days 6-12 inches last night

Worked like a charm no more trenching, good ski lift with throttle but climbs on top of the snow and steers easily just with weight transfer on steep climbs

I think the front can be a little softer maybe 85-90 psi

Extremely happy with sled today.

2 days riding Golden BC, tried some 8 inch sly dogs, the stocks skis works 100% better.
Finally got suspension set up to work, I watched skinz video and set the sled up accordingly it was still trenching in deep powder climbs.

Spent the whole night reading forums on suspension setting..
2nd day I put the stock skis back on, front shocks 100 psi
Centre spring, I turned sled on its side, slacked the nut on the spring completely and tightened it finger tight only and locked it.
Rear shock 140 psi.

Riding conditions 3 feet powder last 7 days 6-12 inches last night

Worked like a charm no more trenching, good ski lift with throttle but climbs on top of the snow and steers easily just with weight transfer on steep climbs

I think the front can be a little softer maybe 85-90 psi

Extremely happy with sled today.
How did this setup work on the trails? If you were riding more trail than pie, how would you set it up?

How did this setup work on the trails? If you were riding more trail than pie, how would you set it up?

In the trails on the mountain I expected to bottom out on the big whoops, trail was beaten up snowplow broken. It did not bottom out rear was plush and absorbed everything.
Front was too hard for the bumps, I would decrease to 90 psi next time.

In the trails on the mountain I expected to bottom out on the big whoops, trail was beaten up snowplow broken. It did not bottom out rear was plush and absorbed everything.
Front was too hard for the bumps, I would decrease to 90 psi next time.

Still playing with setup, center shock should be barely seated and locked. Front shock 85 PSI gives me best stability and turns on a dime. easy to roll over on hardpack. Rear shock 140, 150 in steep climbs.
Hurricane tune and muffler , 270 hp wicked fast. In mountains it will accelerate up the slope a quick tap on throttle lifts the skis, back off and the skis come down but still accelerating hard
Pro-motion on rear improves handling, sidehill
CR running boards cleans fast and slightly wider.
Earth X lithium battery, started easy after 8 months storage saves 10+ pounds

Sled update
Cr runningboards
Ice age promotion
Lithium battery
Mountain hood headlight delete
SLP mowhawk skis
Hurricane 270 hp high altitude flash
Hurricane exhaust
Hurricane cold air intake
6 inch led light bar
Seatconcepts low profile seat www.seatconcepts.com