• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Skid removal

Carla 123

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 viper xtx boosted
17 zr9000 precision stage 3
2016 ltx-se,want to remove the rear skid,do I have to unbolt the torsion springs where they bolt to the rails then just drop the 4 suspension bolts and pull it out?I'm assuming I have to get the backend raised fairly high?looks like it might be tricky getting those spring bolts lined up ,

2016 ltx-se,want to remove the rear skid,do I have to unbolt the torsion springs where they bolt to the rails then just drop the 4 suspension bolts and pull it out?I'm assuming I have to get the backend raised fairly high?looks like it might be tricky getting those spring bolts lined up ,

Yep. Thats how it comes out. Cam the springs down to full soft and then pull the front mounts on spring to rail mount, rotate spring to release the tension on the cam blocks then pull the 4 bolts and the entire skid fall right out.

Last edited:
Yep. Thats how it comes out. Cam the springs down to full soft and then pull the front mounts on spring to rail mount, rotate spring to release the tension on the cam blocks then pull the 4 bolts and the entire skid fall right out.
LTX-SE. Only need to pull back two bolts. Front is "slide action" and slips over shaft, or am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
LTX-SE. Only need to pull back two bolts. Front is "slide action" and slips over shaft, or am I missing something?

I have 2 of them and it's way easier to pull the shaft. You can also inspect the front cross shaft for damage.

Last edited:
I have 2 of them and it's way easier to pull the shaft. You can also inspect the front cross shaft for damage.
I pulled the front shaft out and the 2 rear bolts and removed skid. I then installed the steel sleeve that Travis sells at Bop over the factory cheap shaft which strengthens the front shaft and keeps it from bending. The sled is on a lift and the skid is back inside the track but I can't get the front of skid to connect to shaft. I am slightly in front of shaft and need to be slightly behind it. What am I doing wrong? This looks easy but it's a pain in the #*$&@. I tried lowering and raising the rear of skid but it doesn't seem to help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks mike.

I pulled the front shaft out and the 2 rear bolts and removed skid. I then installed the steel sleeve that Travis sells at Bop over the factory cheap shaft which strengthens the front shaft and keeps it from bending. The sled is on a lift and the skid is back inside the track but I can't get the front of skid to connect to shaft. I am slightly in front of shaft and need to be slightly behind it. What am I doing wrong? This looks easy but it's a pain in the #*$&@. I tried lowering and raising the rear of skid but it doesn't seem to help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks mike.
You need someone pulling on the track and skid while you line up the front of the skid.with 2 people it works best

I am going to try a racket strap attached to my garage wall and pipe going thru the rear skid wheels. Thanks for your help

That might work but just get a friend to help.its a pain but once you do it once it gets easier

Unhook the springs on each side and fold the springs back. Also it’s much easier to pull that front shaft and put it into the suspension. I just installed one in my ltx last night alone.

I was going to undo the torsion springs if I couldn't get it to get behind front shaft. The problem I will have if I remove the shaft is getting 3 washers back on between tunnel and shaft on each end while trying to hold up skid and track

I was going to undo the torsion springs if I couldn't get it to get behind front shaft. The problem I will have if I remove the shaft is getting 3 washers back on between tunnel and shaft on each end while trying to hold up skid and track
What washers? I dont have any washers on my front arm Shaft?

I installed the bop steel shaft sleeve that slides over cheap aluminum factory shaft. The collars on the factory shaft end are eliminated therefore leaving slight space in which 2 washers are added on each end to fill gap. I got it together last night using a pipe thru my rear wheels and a rachet strap attached to the wall behind sled. Just enough tension to engage front slides on shaft.

Back