• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sled helmets, what does everyone wear and why?

Irv

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 40th Anniversary Vector.
1995 XLT SP (Son's)
Thinking of purchasing a new bucket but not sure which way to go as far as price, Snell/ECE rated, and what works and doesn't?

This Snell rating has been debated to death and from what I can gather, it is just slightly better than DOT rated helmets(depending on the manu?)

ECE is the European rating and some say it is better than Snell but the thing I like about Snell, is they are tested far more often than DOT or ECE helmets.

Right now I can get a decent deal on a HJC Surge Motorcycle Helmet, the only thing different is the double shield and breath box found on a sled helmet but both are included and can be attached no problem so I am told(same helmet different name for a HJC sled helmet)

This article is "HUGE" and was written in 2005 so I am sure some things have changed since then?
http://www.motorcycl...view/index.html

I went through this last year.

People love what they love. Many love BV2S, yet I have friends who can't get them to work. Many love the goggles and moto-cross like open face. See the long discussions of the past with search feature.

So after my research and natural cheap gene kicked in I decided I would stay with the old HJC and E sheild. Then a week before a big trip my E shield went out (so I thought). ? get a new bv2s on long trip with out time to figure out the right fit - I am told this is critical to good function of bv2s . The year before on a similar trip a friend had to back track because the new bv2s was fogging and get his old HJC/E-SHIELD.

What did I end up doing, well a new E shield was $97 for a ten year old helmet and a new helmet HJC with E shield was on sale for $112 so I got the new HJC I believe cl 14.

Funny thing is on second day of the trip we needed or E shields ON for freezing fog, and the new on did not work either. Turns out the sled had a blown fuse. DIDN'T need a new helmet after all. Life is funny sometimes.

Good luck with your decision. I still feel I would like a bv2s for the quiet, vision and sun shield that the bv2s lovers rave about. But that cheap gene kicks in and tells me I already have two helmets that work. LOL

Yamadoo aka Mark

yamadoo said:
I went through this last year.

People love what they love. Many love BV2S, yet I have friends who can't get them to work. Many love the goggles and moto-cross like open face. See the long discussions of the past with search feature.

So after my research and natural cheap gene kicked in I decided I would stay with the old HJC and E sheild. Then a week before a big trip my E shield went out (so I thought). ? get a new bv2s on long trip with out time to figure out the right fit - I am told this is critical to good function of bv2s . The year before on a similar trip a friend had to back track because the new bv2s was fogging and get his old HJC/E-SHIELD.

What did I end up doing, well a new E shield was $97 for a ten year old helmet and a new helmet HJC with E shield was on sale for $112 so I got the new HJC I believe cl 14.

Funny thing is on second day of the trip we needed or E shields ON for freezing fog, and the new on did not work either. Turns out the sled had a blown fuse. DIDN'T need a new helmet after all. Life is funny sometimes.

Good luck with your decision. I still feel I would like a bv2s for the quiet, vision and sun shield that the bv2s lovers rave about. But that cheap gene kicks in and tells me I already have two helmets that work. LOL

Yamadoo aka Mark

Thanks for the story and info.
Still haven't decided which way to go, HJC, CKX, AFX or something else?
I do want to check out those BV2S's, they sound pretty good but are Pricey!
In all honesty I am tired of wearing a No-Fog mask, they work great don't get me wrong but I don't like the fact I have to play with it to stay on my head/face when donning my helmet, it's a PITA!

I have an HJC CL-14 Kast, Snell m2000, with e-shield and the thing weighs a metric TON! That may be due to it being a triple X but I can really tell when I take it off after the day. I use an MX helmet, with a Klim balaclava, when the weather permits or when we stay near base camp.

I would really recommend you try different Snell rated helmets for fit and weight if you have a chance.

One other thing, I've broken 2 shield ratchet doo-hickeys(one from a big hit, the other from sliding off the seat at a shoot the bull break) on the CL-14 and unless they've changed them, I would recommend a spare set on trips. Also have at least two of the sliding vents on top that have been taken out by those "where the hell did that come from" that hang over the trails.

Stole this picture from google image search, same ratchet as mine, obviously has the motorcycle shield on it.

Attachments

• cl14.jpg
    cl14.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 376
Irv, I have been wearing the Arctic Cat TXi for the last couple of seasons and love it. I have the electric shield but have worn it unplugged and it hasn't fogged on my, plus the peak on the shield acts like a sun visor some days. It's not too heavy and is very comfortable....if you get it in plain black it doesn't have any Cat writing on it.

I had a modular helmet before that ( G-max ) and it was ok but the nose cover thing I found to be cheap, and when the foam wore out and ripped off I got alot of wind blowing in near my eyes. Some people like the fact they don't have to take their bucket off when they have a trail side stop...I found in the face open position that the helmet got heavy after a while and gave me headaches by the end of the day. plus they will fog and ice up if you leave them up. I wouldn't go that route again.

My next option will be a MX style with a good set of Scott or 509 goggles...my buddies swear by them, nice n light, no fogging and they are warm with the right setup.

shaddow44 said:
Irv, I have been wearing the Arctic Cat TXi for the last couple of seasons and love it. I have the electric shield but have worn it unplugged and it hasn't fogged on my, plus the peak on the shield acts like a sun visor some days. It's not too heavy and is very comfortable....if you get it in plain black it doesn't have any Cat writing on it.

I had a modular helmet before that ( G-max ) and it was ok but the nose cover thing I found to be cheap, and when the foam wore out and ripped off I got alot of wind blowing in near my eyes. Some people like the fact they don't have to take their bucket off when they have a trail side stop...I found in the face open position that the helmet got heavy after a while and gave me headaches by the end of the day. plus they will fog and ice up if you leave them up. I wouldn't go that route again.

My next option will be a MX style with a good set of Scott or 509 goggles...my buddies swear by them, nice n light, no fogging and they are warm with the right setup.

Thanks Shadow, I did a google search a few days ago and read the same things about the Arctic Cat helmets, they sound really good.

I posted this same question at freedomsledder and both Red Rocket and Newf recommend the Sno-X style as well, they say they work great as long as you wear a balaclava and a good set of well fitted goggles.
The thing they both love about their set-up, is they have no fogging issues!

For years, (until now) I could never understand how someone could wear a Moto-X helmet and not be cold?
Little did I know that Moto-X helmets are quite a bit different than a Sno-X helmet :o|

I went with the Klim moto style helmet. I ride mostly powder now... but when in the UP in MI we ride some trails to get where we are going. The Klim has a removable windstopper. I also went with 509 google with polarized lenses. The key piece added was the Habor Vision Eliminator. Which is a sensor fan that insets into the top of the googles and senses humidity and kicks a tiny fan on. Battery life has not been an issue on 3 day rides.. Never fogs or frosts over now at all - i used to have to rip my googles off or helmet off every time i stopped or googles were done. Now i can just sit there with helmet and googles on.. I have riden in -20c and 40 above with no issue with this configuration.

Crewchief47 said:
One other thing, I've broken 2 shield ratchet doo-hickeys(one from a big hit, the other from sliding off the seat at a shoot the bull break) on the CL-14 and unless they've changed them, I would recommend a spare set on trips. Also have at least two of the sliding vents on top that have been taken out by those "where the hell did that come from" that hang over the trails.

Stole this picture from google image search, same ratchet as mine, obviously has the motorcycle shield on it.

I have a HJC cl15 I believe? Anyway I too have broke mine and carry a spare.

I think the helmut you are showing has a m6 screw holding the piece that breaks when you drop it. I know my friend broke his on a sat night in mancelona. Because we wanted to ride more another friend of mine figured out that if you drilled a hole throught the shield directly over the screw that held the clip-doo-hicky to the helmut. You can add a fender washer (blackened out with a sharpie) and put the screw through the washer, the shield and into the helmut. It worked so well that he actually drilled out the other side when we got home and has never had to deal with it again.

I would like to get a bv2s. About 4 of the guys I ride with have them and swear by them.

I'm rockin the Bell Moto 8 with 509 polarized goggles. The moto 8 is super light which makes a big difference by the end of the day.

Attachments

• bellmoto8.jpg
    bellmoto8.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 330
glockwise said:
I think the helmut you are showing has a m6 screw holding the piece that breaks when you drop it. I know my friend broke his on a sat night in mancelona. Because we wanted to ride more another friend of mine figured out that if you drilled a hole throught the shield directly over the screw that held the clip-doo-hicky to the helmut. You can add a fender washer (blackened out with a sharpie) and put the screw through the washer, the shield and into the helmut. It worked so well that he actually drilled out the other side when we got home and has never had to deal with it again.

I will have to look at that when I dig it out, thanks!

I have a BV2S and a HJC AC-X3 carbon fiber moto helmet with 509 sinister goggles.

The BV2S is a warm helmet and best for cold days.

the AC-X3 is SUPER light and best for long or warm days

After 300 miles in a day the BV2S hurts my neck but over all its comfortable and I love everything about it that other rave about.

ditchbanging in the spring or on warm days the HJC is much better for that. On long back pack trips I debate on which helmet to take based on the weather if its above zero I will grab the HJC every time if its cold then I take the BV2S.

KBC is my brain bucket,light and dual ratings(snell&DOT).

Attachments

• sled march 16 2008 004.jpg
    sled march 16 2008 004.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 266

Back