• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sly Dogs and bushings

wacnstac

Pro
So I got my 7" sly dogs today and I can see what other posters have said. The Phazer mounting kit would have to have the inner bushings cut or ground down to fit on the venture lite spindles. My question is why not use the bushings from the old skis that are already the right width? Also couldn't you use the original rubber bushings that go between the bottom of the spindles and the skis for a better fit?

The bushings is an easy mod to do so no worries there but the rubber is different between the stock Yamaha part and SlyDog's. Different spacing/thickness IIRC.

I actually think the new rubber will work upon further inspection. I wonder if one couldn't find some new spacers right at menards instead of cutting.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have UpBushman's spindle and bushing kit so I used those at the time. All stainless and takes care of ovaling of the spindle.

The bushings is an easy mod to do so no worries there but the rubber is different between the stock Yamaha part and SlyDog's. Different spacing/thickness IIRC.

Ok, so the bushings from SlyDog are too wide to fit around my spindle. Have people somehow cut those? Looks like the new rubber from Slydog will work between the skis and the spindle. Are more narrow bushings available somewhere? I don't know the size that I would need.

I guess, I'm still not entirely sure why I could not use the old bushings from the Yamaha stock skis with the new skis. That would give me the right width on each side of the spindle? Perhaps it is because the stock bushings are not the same width on each side of the spindle? I'm guessing that having bushings that aren't the same width on both sides might deform the skis over time?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can grind them down to fit.

Yeah I have a friend who can do it with a Bridgeport. Now my next dilemma is to shim or not to shim.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Got my bushings machined down to be a perfect size so that the skis are equally spaced on the spindles. The bushing inside the spindles really doesn't seem to have the wear and ovaling here that some described so I left them alone for now. The skis are about .6" toe out. Will see how that performs and go from there. I'm running 6" sly dog carbides.

I have noticed that with the new 7" sly dogs on the sled, the skis seem to be a bit off camber. Maybe that's how it looks when there isn't any rider weight on the sled and I just never noticed it with the smaller skis on there. I don't think there is a way to adjust this. It could all be in my head ;)

I will take some pictures of my summer project and post when I get a chance.

I have maybe 100 miles on these skis. I would say there is a slightly noticeable increase in darting compared to the stockers. I have not had the opportunity to try these skis out on deep snow yet as we haven't had that much this year in my area of the LP of Michigan.

Back