• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Snowmobile.com write up on 50th Anniversary Apex

And the other thread disappeared like the Apex;(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I will never understand how weight is a problem in a trail sled as long as you have the power to move it the sled is more planted and more stable at speed it is more durable and once one sets it up to their liking you can out run almost anything on the snow???? I guess they may as well bash the sled as it bows out too. cant never say that it is a awesome sled without throwing in a butt. let me ride the thing and write you a true tribute to the legend from the eyes of someone who loves it.

Regarding weight our late friend and TY member, TURK summed it up best, "Where I'm from we RIDE our sleds we don't Carry them". I rode an Apex for 14K miles and loved it. I may still pick up a 50th Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Rode my 2008 Apex 40th LTX 58,000 km,
Currently got two XTX in my stable a 13' and a 14'
My 14' just turned 35,000 km
13' is new to me this year and had 10,500km on it when i got it.

I'm considering a 2018 XTX.

I got just over 10,900 km ridden this season on my sleds. I'm not a hater but seen lot's of issues on multiple other brands. Down for repairs, needing to get towed back.
Me, I changed my oil twice on the 14' this season and the 13' just started flashing for the oil change after this last trip. I ride groomed trail only in Quebec and when i leave on a trip I have confidence and know I am riding back on my Yamaha Apex XTX. I ride my sleds hard and they take it. Day after day. YAMAHA.

Gaspe trip tomorrow. One last week.

I've always thought that one of the most difficult things for any manufacturer of heavy consumer goods (cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.) is to make a product that will last over time. Being that a snowmobile is used over a brief season yearly they don't get nearly the miles on them that a car or truck do. But sleds do operate in a very harsh environment in a wide range of conditions.

That said I'm pretty sure that I won't get many arguments that Yamaha has led the snowmobile industry in producing the longest lasting sleds. Heck, I've been running two 2006 Apex based sleds that still pass as brand new by anyone who looks at them. I also picked up a new SideWinder this season that has exceed my expectations in every category.

Will the SideWinder pass the test of time of the Apex? Only time will tell. Will the 2018 Apex be the last of the Japanese built Yamaha sleds? :dunno: It's hard saying in this new corporate world of Yamaha North America Snowmobile Division, but it sure looks that way. I think Yamaha should include a recording of Frank Sinatra's song "I Did It My Way" with every 2018 Apex sold.

The Apex has had a great and run and has been at the top of the heap as far as introducing the industry to leading edge performance from a 4-stroke motor along with the unique exhaust sound, but I'm afraid it's time to move on. Yamaha already has.

Last edited:
I've always thought that one of the most difficult things for any manufacturer of heavy consumer goods (cars, trucks, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc.) is to make a product that will last over time. Being that a snowmobile is used over a brief season yearly they don't get nearly the miles on them that a car or truck do. But sleds do operate in a very harsh environment in a wide range of conditions.

That said I'm pretty sure that I won't get many arguments that Yamaha has led the snowmobile industry in producing the longest lasting sleds. Heck, I've been running two 2006 Apex based sleds that still pass as brand new by anyone who looks at them. I also picked up a new SideWinder this season that has exceed my expectations in every category.

Will the SideWinder pass the test of time of the Apex? Only time will tell. Will the 2018 Apex be the last of the Japanese built Yamaha sleds? :dunno: It's hard saying in this new corporate world of Yamaha North America Snowmobile Division, but it sure looks that way. I think Yamaha should include a recording of Frank Sinatra's song "I Did It My Way" with every 2018 Apex sold.

The Apex has had a great and run and has been at the top of the heap as far as introducing the industry to leading edge performance from a 4-stroke motor along with the unique exhaust sound, but I'm afraid it's time to move on. Yamaha already has.

Exactly, well said. I see myself considering picking up on if they review well as I expect. I know I am not impressed with the Exup and wonder about the singleshot but will watch closely.

I may just have to get a 2018 Apex as a second sled. Overall for the money, its just too good of a sled. The engine is absolutely bullet proof. The whole sled is amazing "long term / long lasting Japanese Engineering. You really do get your moneys worth from this sled. Best long long term bargain out there when you do all the math.

I may just have to get a 2018 Apex as a second sled. Overall for the money, its just too good of a sled. The engine is absolutely bullet proof. The whole sled is amazing "long term / long lasting Japanese Engineering. You really do get your moneys worth from this sled. Best long long term bargain out there when you do all the math.
After I get to experience this whole new-to-me 4 stroke thing on my newly acquired 2007 Apex, I may have to snag a well cared for 50th anniversary '18 down the line.
;)!

Back