• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SOMETHING EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ!!!!

It seems like my friends and I have been riding forever some days. We have been at the scene of many wreaks, most of them, not fatal, but bad enough to ruin the next month for them. Where we do most of our riding there is not a lot of alcohol use or smoking of dope before riding. Maybe 10% at worst (I think, can't prove). Yet 50% ++ or the wreaks we have seen, involved one or the other. If you don't carry avalanche gear and ride clean and sober you don't ride with us. Stay straight, stay under control, stay alive (please).

RX1MAN said:
It seems like my friends and I have been riding forever some days. We have been at the scene of many wreaks, most of them, not fatal, but bad enough to ruin the next month for them. Where we do most of our riding there is not a lot of alcohol use or smoking of dope before riding. Maybe 10% at worst (I think, can't prove). Yet 50% ++ or the wreaks we have seen, involved one or the other. If you don't carry avalanche gear and ride clean and sober you don't ride with us. Stay straight, stay under control, stay alive (please).

That's the answer: "If you don't carry avalanche gear and ride clean and sober you don't ride with us. "

The very best deterient is EXCLUDING those who drink and ride, or blast along at excessive speeds and to heck with everyone else on the trail.

If you remember that, you will be doing your part to keeping it safe and enjoyable. After all, it is no fun to ride alone.

We ride a lot of lakes so it is ideal to carry ice picks. We now have them that are attached to the insides of our sleeves and readily accessible. It's all common sense and wanting to get home alive.

JEEEEZE GUYS aren't we being alittle hard on a guy who has ONE or TWO light beers with his dinner and is mature, level headed, experienced rider??? :ORC Damn lets just wonder why are there parking lots in restruants and bars that serve beer then?????????I think your being alittle hard on Zoomzoom! Go take your prozac! Most accidents are caused by inexperience or speed...sure not saying that its ok to get drunk but when you have a light beer or two with a meal like he said...your surely NOT drunk unless your a 100 pound boy! So lets get real.

Rage2005Yamaha said:
JEEEEZE GUYS aren't we being alittle hard on a guy who has ONE or TWO light beers with his dinner and is mature, level headed, experienced rider??? :ORC Damn lets just wonder why are there parking lots in restruants and bars that serve beer then?????????I think your being alittle hard on Zoomzoom! Go take your prozac! Most accidents are caused by inexperience or speed...sure not saying that its ok to get drunk but when you have a light beer or two with a meal like he said...your surely NOT drunk unless your a 100 pound boy! So lets get real.
Finally someone who can speak frankly and honestly without felling like they have to join the herd mentality!

.08 was used for vehicles which is a lot easier to control on flat smooth roads and highways designed as to not have any hair pin turns and surprizes. If a legal limit was to be set for snowmobiles I believe it would be 0. The terrain the snowmobiles run on and the attention and skill level needed to keep control not to mention that you are travelling on trails with no ditches just trees. In other words no room for error whereas a road or highways dithches allow for some error correction and time to stop. This is why no alcohol whatsoever should be allowed while riding a sled period.

Before this gets to heated this post was created to send a message some will get it some won't, I agree one beer won't hurt but whats the fun in drinking just one or two why bother :ORC It's just as enjoyable to have a cold soda or something with a meal on the trail and save the drinking for when you get back. This post is here to make you aware of the fact that too much alcohol can be life threatening how you take it is up to you! While one person can drink a couple and not feel a thing one of his buddies thats with him may have just pushed himself to keep up and just put himself on the edge. Why take chances if your buddy that doesn't drink much gets killed could you be the one to go tell his wife and kids!

Just please please ride safe!
And party till ya puke when you get back from the ride ;)!

Do I have to lock this thread...my god guys...just read and learn or don't learn but...dont argue about it...have some compassion if not for yourself for your fellow sledder.....

MrSled said:
Do I have to lock this thread...my god guys...just read and learn or don't learn but...dont argue about it...have some compassion if not for yourself for your fellow sledder.....

I am not arguing Mr Sled just making a point I hadnt made earlier on why .08 is allowed on highways but should not be for sleds. If I am one that your last post is directed at just remove the posts and you have my apology as I was just making point not arguing.

I would also like to apologize if I presented my opinion in the wrong manner. I truly do understand the underlying message of this entire thread and I don't want anyone to think that I place a heavy value on beer or alcohol because I really don't.

I was just trying to get the message across that every once in a while I enjoy the taste of a good beer with my meal and I would hate if someone came along and took away my right to have that beer. With that said I want to reiterate the importance of not going beyond that.

I think there's an even bigger message to this thread that most people are not picking up on. These sleds are like a loaded gun. In the wrong hands they can inflict pain and suffering both on ourselves and someone else. It's not just about drinking, it's about using them in a responsible fashion. I sure I'm not the only one in this forum that's come up over the crest of a hill or around a curve hugging my side practically off the trail only to find some idiot coming at with no regard for safety taking up the entire trail and almost causing a huge collision. I can't tell you how many times I've had to swerve to avoid hitting people that ride like that. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE to crank on the sled; but I always watch my crests and my curves.

Once again I apologize if I offended anyone

Jack

Part one

Well I lost a freind to al-cool and speed. He lost control of his car at 120+, was thrown into a pole. As I knelt over him I had those same feelings of fear and helplessness. I knew first aid used it steady on my job at the time.

Well seeing my best man at my wedding kinda took the wind out of my sails. I was as if in a dream, everything was surreal. I woodenly did what I was trained to do. My mind screamed at me over and over NO! NO!

He died there on the grass with a couple of freinds around him. He was so full of life, so happy in it, so kind and careing. Now he was gone. I phoned his brother and told him about the accident he asked if John was all right. I couldn't answer, the roar in my ears was deafening. My silence so loud, so telling. Thinking of this now again hurts and brings tears. I know it allways will.

Did I learn from this? A little maybe but I still would drink and drive. When my kids came into the picture that curbed my drinking more than anything. For them I changed my ways.

Will my story and others help keep someone else alive? I hope so!

Part two

Now I'm a reponsable drinker but am not nessasarily a 0 tollerance person. I'm one who on the TY ride had a beer with my meal. I never thought about it at the time. Wasn't aware of any TY rules about it.

I appoligize to the group for my stupidity and promise that if 0 tollerance is what is called for on the rides then I have no problem with that. I will go with the flow willingly and in full agreement.

The reason I was so willing and quick to get on the trail at 7 sisters was because one tasted like more and I wanted to get back to where I could have more. Its that one tasting like more that gets people from time to time. I've learned to resist others may not be so lucky.

I like to think I'm responsable about my drinking and am in no way concerned about what one beer taken with a meal will do to my mind once its in my 325pd body. Others around me may take that the wrong way or follow suit and I in no way want to be responsible for that or have those thinking I'm a hazard. In this I was selfish and only thinking of me.

So again I'm sorry it won't happen again. Am I forgiven?

You are forgiven, buddy!

I didn't know who got the beer...just seen it coming to the table. When I made mention of seeing it on the ride was for one simple reason. For the most part I put that ride together for everyones enjoyment anfter having done that and getting you all here it follows that I should also be concious of your safety. The beer coming to the table just was another small thing to be considered in the whole picture. I am sure mr.Sled must feel the same concerns and feelings about everyones well being at rides that are held in the ty name. The intention of getting togehter is to have a great time and be able to brag on the site after how much fun we all had.I am sure NO ONE ever wants to post about how a friend got hurt or worse on a ride that gets the attention ty rides do.

I will say this...the group of ty riders that attended the manitoba ride were responsible well behaved riders who set an example that we can be proud to be associated with.

Back