• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Spark plugs for tuned sleds

Kevin

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder
Are you guys with tuned sleds running different plugs?
Just changed a set on a stock sled and I would say more boost would need a cooler plug for sure.

Hi Guys

Giving this a bump as its not discussed much. Any feedback from the vendors for tunes that have experience with this?

Running stock plugs...no issues

Changed mine due to fouling during cold start , debates going hotter until I seen sw already runs a cr8. Switched to iridium and stayed with cr8 . Figured going to a cr7 in a turbo application would be too hot , surprised actually that it came cr8 stock

1200 doo runs a dual electrode plug, and I would like to see that here too...helps with fouling if that is an issue, and ,makes more HP with more complete burn.

So 998 just come with a basic single electrode plug?

Time for a CR9EK dual electrode plug change. Should be good for 2-3 HP or so. Only plugs I've ever seen add HP to any engine is the dual ground strap plug like that. Works in every four-stroke engine we've ever ran them in.

Time for a CR9EK dual electrode plug change. Should be good for 2-3 HP or so. Only plugs I've ever seen add HP to any engine is the dual ground strap plug like that. Works in every four-stroke engine we've ever ran them in.

I won't run the EK dual electrode plugs anymore. Tried the 10EK plugs in my Apex on asphalt and in wintertime. Never gained any increase in time slip time results and wintertime they ran like crap. Couldn't get my sled to fire up one cold winter day. They may have made a couple horse on the dyno, but the real world results proved to me to never run them again.

I won't run the EK dual electrode plugs anymore. Tried the 10EK plugs in my Apex on asphalt and in wintertime. Never gained any increase in time slip time results and wintertime they ran like crap. Couldn't get my sled to fire up one cold winter day. They may have made a couple horse on the dyno, but the real world results proved to me to never run them again.

We have tried them out, then in, out and in again and picked up 2-3 hundredths by running them. Testing done back to back within the hour on turbo Apex. Everything we put them in runs faster with them. Same thing can be accomplished if you index a normal plug, but the EK's take the indexing out of the equation. The Doo 1200 comes with them stock too.

You must have fouled one which happens trying to run too cold of a plug. You can get them in 8's thru 10's.

We have tried them out, then in, out and in again and picked up 2-3 hundredths by running them. Testing done back to back within the hour on turbo Apex. Everything we put them in runs faster with them. Same thing can be accomplished if you index a normal plug, but the EK's take the indexing out of the equation. The Doo 1200 comes with them stock too.

You must have fouled one which happens trying to run too cold of a plug. You can get them in 8's thru 10's.

I tried them, same thing....in, then stock CR9E and back in.... no difference on my end. Wasn't running the bottle either, just making test passes. I know it's in the asphalt results 2006 or 2007 somewhere.

That winter when they wouldn't fire was very cold in Greenland, Michigan. Everyone's sled fired up right away, mine said no way....had to drag it over to Pat's Yamaha and put it inside for an hour. Took them out when I got home and never had a problem again.

Agree with you on indexing tho... for the best fire pattern.

Back