• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Had mine reflashed today. The territory rep from Yamaha was in town and I was there. The mechanic brought me to talk to to him to explain what's happening to my sled.
He asked if I would bring the sled in.

They put a pressure test on fuel pump found it was pushin 40 psi every turn of key. Which is close to spec.

He knew about the speedo problem and said a reflash with the latest update will fix that.

He hadn't heard of the stalling during idle.

Had heard about the hard starting but it hasn't been addressed by Yamaha yet.

He did say that when the ecu senses a misfire or blowback it stops the spark. This is why the sled will not fire up first turn of key and no matter how long you keep turning key it won't fire. He said to let off the key immediately and try again.

He also said to guarantee a proper start. Turn the key three times to cycle the fuel pump. Start it on the fourth turn of key.

I will try it this weekend and report back.

Headed to Christmas this Saturday. I know you guys are all meeting in Munising. I'll keep my eyes open for you. If you see a black and red viper with 4 new style axyes 4 Polaris pro x and pro s's that's me. I'm the lone wolf not worrying about packing oil. Ha.

Have a great weekend.

Has anyone else experienced the sled just shutting down for no reason after the new flash? It actually seems to be happening to mine more frequently now. It happens mostly at idle, or when moving slowly. Yesterday I rode for six hours and it died 6 or 7 times, once at about 20-25 mph.

Mine has shut down twice. Both times as I let off the throttle at low speeds

Cycling the key 3 times? Really? I call bullschitt...He must own stock in ignition switch companies
Thats what he told me. Makes no sense to me. If I had to do it with my truck it would be fixed right away. But somehow it's ok with sled? Yamaha really should get their act together. Oh well I'm going riding.

My new 15 se with 400 miles was reflashed...now turns overs many times before it starts. then quits, and finally stays running. Was better before. Had error code PO 919 yesterday while out riding- dealer said it had something to do with reverse and was possibly due to the reflash....code finally ceased to flash on screen.

Had mine reflashed today. The territory rep from Yamaha was in town and I was there. The mechanic brought me to talk to to him to explain what's happening to my sled.
He asked if I would bring the sled in.

They put a pressure test on fuel pump found it was pushin 40 psi every turn of key. Which is close to spec.

He knew about the speedo problem and said a reflash with the latest update will fix that.

He hadn't heard of the stalling during idle.

Had heard about the hard starting but it hasn't been addressed by Yamaha yet.

He did say that when the ecu senses a misfire or blowback it stops the spark. This is why the sled will not fire up first turn of key and no matter how long you keep turning key it won't fire. He said to let off the key immediately and try again.

He also said to guarantee a proper start. Turn the key three times to cycle the fuel pump. Start it on the fourth turn of key.

I will try it this weekend and report back.

Headed to Christmas this Saturday. I know you guys are all meeting in Munising. I'll keep my eyes open for you. If you see a black and red viper with 4 new style axyes 4 Polaris pro x and pro s's that's me. I'm the lone wolf not worrying about packing oil. Ha.

Have a great weekend.
We always go eat at Foggys right in Christmas sat night. Call me Sat around 5 pm (920)323-1973

I had mine flashed today for the new updated flash that is supposed to take care of the speedo problem. Dealer said previous dealer didn't fully finish first flash. That ysdt tool will give you prompts that you have to wait for in order to proceed to the next step. Supposedly that didn't happen.

Also, supposedly this is cats problem not yamahas. Cat is supposed to make their electronics work with the engine and they can't get it right for some reason. That's why the winders don't have starting issues, every time a new flash is released IT supposedly costs cat a half million. I think yamaha would've got this right. I honestly think my dealer is right about this and that its cats problem, not yamahas.

Anyways, going out tomorrow to put on some miles so I'll report back tomorrow night on how sled starts, idles, speedo & odometer.

I had mine flashed today for the new updated flash that is supposed to take care of the speedo problem. Dealer said previous dealer didn't fully finish first flash. That ysdt tool will give you prompts that you have to wait for in order to proceed to the next step. Supposedly that didn't happen.

Also, supposedly this is cats problem not yamahas. Cat is supposed to make their electronics work with the engine and they can't get it right for some reason. That's why the winders don't have starting issues, every time a new flash is released IT supposedly costs cat a half million. I think yamaha would've got this right. I honestly think my dealer is right about this and that its cats problem, not yamahas.

Anyways, going out tomorrow to put on some miles so I'll report back tomorrow night on how sled starts, idles, speedo & odometer.
CooperT, have to respectfully disagree. The second the Tuning Forks went on the nose of these sleds it became Yamahas problem. The marriage with AC may be a sales success but I think it is doing damage to the Yamaha brand overall what with all the reliability and quality control problems. The least they could do is keep their dealer network up to date. Had the reflash done in late Nov. It was me that had to tell the dealer about it after learning about it here. It was me that reported the speedo issue to dealer after the reflash. They were not aware. After reading about the second reflash I called the dealer and they had not heard about it but would check with Yamaha Canada. Talked to them yesterday and they advised that when they called Yamaha they were advised that yes there is a new flash to correct the speedo. Have Appt for flash-2 on Tuesday. Go to load sled on trailer today only to find a nice puddle of chain case oil on the garage floor. Looks like the chain case issue reported in other threads but thats another story.

I bought the Viperr based on my experience with my previous 2 Yamahas. Have to say that my confidence is shaken and I am questioning my decision to buy this sled. So if they want to keep me as a customer they had better make it their problem and get this fixed.

Well said Peter, I know what you guys are saying, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm saying too lol. Yes we bought these from yamaha so yamaha should be making sure it's good to go. But since it's cat electronics, cat has to make it work with engine and unfortunately their not doing a very good job with it and giving Yamaha a bad name in the process. Hopefully 2018 sleds will ever ALL Yamaha, but I doubt it...

My sled so far has been great other than these few small problems, starting, speedometer etc. Speedo has been fixed so now just the starting problem. Loving the sled, but I still find myself worrying from time to time and wondering if my sled is going to start....

Question for all the 2 start voters:
Is your engine all stock?
No airbox,no exhaust,no tuner. Stock?

I had both sleds flashed in mid December but have not had the opportunity to run them until today.
Both sleds have exactly the same engine mods, not stock.
My wife's is still 8JP belt with no issues, mine is 8DN conversion.
Wife's sled requires two tries to start cold then starts fine, but at about 30 deg C engine temperature hunts from 1500 to about 1780 RPM (can't decide if it should still be on high idle or not) smooths out as temperature goes up.
My sled starts first time, warms up to about 30 deg C and drops off high idle, runs smooth.
These sleds are less than 200 apart in ser#s, but have never run the same. My wife's has had starting issues from the dropping codes issue before the first flash to the kick backs after.
Mine has not had either issue, but hers has always run stronger.
Both sleds have lost about 300 to 350 RPM on top end without any clutching changes. But seem to pull harder, more like the Nytro did.

So how do I vote, I can't vote twice to cover both sleds.
One is 2 starts, the other is one. And yes the speedos are out.

Does this go back to Cat having their programming done at a sheltered work shop that I need a reflash of a reflash.
I think only there would they play with the speed input when they are supposed to be looking at fuelling and/or timing.

Last edited:
Just got back from ridding my 2015 xtx 200miles after the flash. Takes 2 attempts first try in the morning and then 1 all day flawless. Idle surge is still there just not as bad. My speedo seems to be accurate still. I do notice more pull through midrange and too end. I talked to my dealer after I rode it and told him that. He said yes, there was some changes in the fuel mapping. I wasn't expecting that but am happy. Now, wether that is true or not, I'm not sure but as long as I think that in my mind, it's all good! Lol

Mine started first try yesterday before loading into my buddies trailer, then when we got to our destination it took the usual 2 try's. always starts first try after that though...I thought for sure it was going to fire on first try again...nope

Had mine flashed on Friday. Put 100 miles on Saturday. It took two trys to start when cold, 1-3 warm. My cold start idle is slightly better, once warmed up it runs excellent. I'd say performance has increased substantially to be honest. I'm banging the rev limiter again for the first time since putting in a Ulmer clutch kit. It's very strong in the bottom and midrange where traction is available but a turd up top because I'm turning too many RPM. Wondering if my limiter was raised??? Seeing over 9300rpm , seems to me I thought the limiter was around 9200?? Sled has a D&D trail can, Ulmer clutch kit and airbox is stock. My speedo is dead on verified with GPS.

Back