• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I was able to put 300 miles on my sled last weekend with the re-flash (the second attempt that took). As I already knew from my test rip in the field behind the dealership, the speedo was back to being spot on. However the cold starting issue was still present. It would pop and sputter obviously firing the spark and I had to crank throughout the starting attempt until it was idling smoothly. I also still have the hot starting issue. Almost always took two attempts, sometimes three when hot. Guys if you haven't figured this out yet, when there is no sign of firing (no popping or sputtering) then the ECU has stopped the spark and you will gain nothing by cranking any longer (except for draining your battery). When this happens you have to stop cranking and try again, and again until it fires.

I am hoping that when I get my Sidewinder these issues will be a thing of the past since the Sidewinder has all Yamaha electronics, unlike the Cat crap that we have on our Vipers. Yamaha should be embarrassed to allow this Cat crap to spoil their reputation as a builder of high quality and trouble free sleds!
Both of our sleds seem to be starting better the longer they run this reflash. Can't say for sure why. Could you have a bad plug?

I was able to put 300 miles on my sled last weekend with the re-flash (the second attempt that took). As I already knew from my test rip in the field behind the dealership, the speedo was back to being spot on. However the cold starting issue was still present. It would pop and sputter obviously firing the spark and I had to crank throughout the starting attempt until it was idling smoothly. I also still have the hot starting issue. Almost always took two attempts, sometimes three when hot. Guys if you haven't figured this out yet, when there is no sign of firing (no popping or sputtering) then the ECU has stopped the spark and you will gain nothing by cranking any longer (except for draining your battery). When this happens you have to stop cranking and try again, and again until it fires.

I am hoping that when I get my Sidewinder these issues will be a thing of the past since the Sidewinder has all Yamaha electronics, unlike the Cat crap that we have on our Vipers. Yamaha should be embarrassed to allow this Cat crap to spoil their reputation as a builder of high quality and trouble free sleds!
Just so you know Sidewinder has same wiring other than Ecu.

Just had mine done. I'm riding with a guy on an AC Lynx rental and my odometer is right with his so the speedo issue is fixed. It does sometime take two cranks when cold, but seems to run well and start well warm.

Just so you know Sidewinder has same wiring other than Ecu.

Yes, you are correct. Thank you for clarifying this. That is what I meant to say. The Cat crap ECU and the programming is the issue with the Viper and it is what needs to be in Yamaha's control which is what has happened with the Sidewinder. The rest of the electronics are fine IMO. I have had no other electrical issues except for my heated seat element failing which was fixed under warranty.

Both of our sleds seem to be starting better the longer they run this reflash. Can't say for sure why. Could you have a bad plug?

Thanks for the reply. My dealer told me that it is the Cat ECU & programming, and that every Viper that he has updated so far now has the same hot & cold starting issues. Once started and warmed up my Viper runs excellent. I run right with Doo, Poo, & Cat 800 two smokers so I am sure I do not have a fouled plug.

Thanks for the reply. My dealer told me that it is the Cat ECU & programming, and that every Viper that he has updated so far now has the same hot & cold starting issues. Once started and warmed up my Viper runs excellent. I run right with Doo, Poo, & Cat 800 two smokers so I am sure I do not have a fouled plug.
Yup and the variances rear their ugly head again. I would bet that in Japan before leaving factory every sled was tuned or checked at a minimum on a dyno. Throttle sync etc. Looks like just supplying a motor brings up to many variables for a generic tune. I would say if your sled has a history of Kickbacks. Get the Yamaha Flash and if it runs like crap consider a tuner such as PCV which can be user tuned. I hesitate to recommend the Evo flash since there has not been confirmation by Evo other than NosPro to confirm no issues and it also is a generic tune not individually tuned to the sled. Me I have never had a Kickback and have a Tuner so sled starts and idles just fine. Will not get a reflash unless I receive a letter telling me I have to. Only 1 year left of warranty so will chance it otherwise. Blue many of us believe that it is the wiring in the rest of the sled which is very different than previous Yamahas that is causing the big issues along with other issues that enhance the main problem. We need both a different wiring Harness and a ECU with programing that is capable of dealing with the other variables. Not holding my breath for Yamaha or Cat but there is some Positive developments from people here with the CAP system one poster(BarCode?) used and another mod that is being tested now. Not the true fix since both add complexity to a complex system but for those with issues there is hope.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing. Granted I have only put on about 400km this season. Most of the time when I have started the sled cold, it would stay running the first attempt instead of trying 2 times.

600 miles this week on the speedo flash, worked great. the -25 morning she took a couple cranks to go, always one start the rest of the day. 850 doo guy with us was not happy when I took him outta the hole, he obviously caught up eventually...blamed it on his weight and lack of traction :) good times.

Bought a new "16 viper rtx-dx in in dec. 2016, I have the speedo issue, off about 11 mph at 50, always takes two attempts to start it, every once in a while will backfire when I chop the throttle, and if you feather the throttle it often kills, contacted the dealer, he said they re-flashed it when I bought it. Told me to haul it in & they would re-flash it for me. My question is do they have an upgraded flash that will help this or is it gonna do the same? otherwise love the sled

Bought a new "16 viper rtx-dx in in dec. 2016, I have the speedo issue, off about 11 mph at 50, always takes two attempts to start it, every once in a while will backfire when I chop the throttle, and if you feather the throttle it often kills, contacted the dealer, he said they re-flashed it when I bought it. Told me to haul it in & they would re-flash it for me. My question is do they have an upgraded flash that will help this or is it gonna do the same? otherwise love the sled
The killing while feathering throttle is probably an issue with the TORS. It's basically a throttle safety switch at the pivot of the throttle lever. If the TPS reads greater than 0 before that switch is made, it'll cut the spark.

I had my 15 re flashed today and I'm sure they added fuel to the map before engagement. Before I could feather the throttle into a missing stumble under engagement. Slightly more throttle and it would aggressively engage and run to 4500 or so. After the 2017 flash, I can easily hold revs right at engagement of 3800. It also seems to idle slightly smoother. Can't wait to actually get it on the trail. I had been considering a soft start spring, but now I'm going to hold off and see if the new mapping will smooth engagement enough to satisfy me.

Go get the reflash, it will correct your Speedo and can't hurt your engine performance any from what you have now. We have the same reflash you have and our engines run much better after the reflash.

Try getting a good optimate charger and putting it on your battery for a few days and see if that helps because the electrical system seems to like a well conditioned and charged battery.

One additional question, how many miles do you have on your RTX? A few people here have
Noted that the engine seemed to operate better after a few hundred 400-700 miles.

Go get the reflash, it will correct your Speedo and can't hurt your engine performance any from what you have now. We have the same reflash you have and our engines run much better after the reflash.

Try getting a good optimate charger and putting it on your battery for a few days and see if that helps because the electrical system seems to like a well conditioned and charged battery.

One additional question, how many miles do you have on your RTX? A few people here have
Noted that the engine seemed to operate better after a few hundred 400-700 miles.
I have about 600 on it as close as I can figure, hard to tell exactly, last week rode with buddy that has an attak, he logged 150 and i showed 125, wondered why my gas mileage seemed low

Figured something was up when it would show 73 on the speedo i seemed to be going faster, buddy said i had to be goin faster cause it was takin quite awhile for him to run me down with the attak. hooked up gps and sled showed 39 when gps showed 50, sled showed 73 when gps showed 83, that is when i had to get off the throttle in the field behind house, i'm wondering what i'm getting for top end.

Have a 2016 stx dx, had the reflash done last week.. A bitch to start now when its cold.. When its warm its fine.. Big yamaha fan. Always was an owned many.. But really getting pissed at this

Have a 2016 stx dx, had the reflash done last week.. A bitch to start now when its cold.. When its warm its fine.. Big yamaha fan. Always was an owned many.. But really getting pissed at this

Agreed. I have owned many Yamaha's over the years and I am still a loyal customer. However this Yamacat is certainly testing my patience and brand loyalty. The made in the USA Yamacat's are definitely not in the same league as the made in Japan Yamaha's when it comes to build quality and trouble free operation.

Yamaha is risking it's sterling reputation by allowing Arctic Cat to supply the electrical / electronics, especially the ECU and programming on the Viper's. The Yamaha ECU & programming on the Sidewinder is a big step in the right direction. Hopefully under new ownership Textron will appreciate the value that Yamaha adds to the Arctic Cat brand and will allow Yamaha to have more control over the areas of the sled that they are better at.

Yamaha is great at most everything except for the chassis and suspension which is Arctic Cat's specialty. The marriage of an Arctic Cat chassis and suspension with Yamaha's engine, clutches, & electrical / electronics with Yamaha oversight and influence on build quality, should result in a most excellent sled. Let's just hope that there is not a divorce before they can work through the issues and produce the sled that we know they can and should provide.

Back