• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Well had both Vipers flashed this past week. I must say my wife's nor mine were having any issue but we went ahead and had them done, after being done I haven't really noticed any difference.

I had mine done Friday morning and was out riding Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It always did start well, and starts first or second try cold and first try hot.
I do notice the lean popping off idle is gone, I kind of liked it...sounded snotty and maybe a little louder idling.
It's definetly smoother off idle and I notice less engine breaking when coming to a stop now. Need to use the break more.
I don't really notice and extra performance mid range, seems the same to me.
Definetly doesn't feel like it wants to kick back at all while starting, so I'm glad I had the flash done.

Anyone know if the AFR are leaner or richer with the new flash?

I rode by my Yamaha dealer today and was about to pull in and get it flashed but chickened out!!!haha
I never had a issue with my 14

After reading about all these reports of the speedo being off I thought I would check mine. The speedos are spot on for my 2014 and 2015 which were one of the first to have the flash done back in November. My dealer who was one of the first to know about the November flash release says he sees no 2nd update to correct the speedo. One thing that stands out is the huge inconsistency of dealer knowledge or lack of the service updates. It's ridiculous to have all of these different dealer responses for something that should be very clear.

Guys,

I said this earlier but it may not have been seen by all when a new page was started immediately after my post. Therefore I think that this is worth repeating.

I have owned many Yamaha's over the years and I am still a loyal customer. However this Yamacat is certainly testing my patience and brand loyalty. The made in the USA Yamacat's are definitely not in the same league as the made in Japan Yamaha's when it comes to build quality and trouble free operation.

Yamaha is risking it's sterling reputation by allowing Arctic Cat to supply the electrical / electronics, especially the ECU and programming on the Viper's. The Yamaha ECU & programming on the Sidewinder is a big step in the right direction. Hopefully under new ownership Textron will appreciate the value that Yamaha adds to the Arctic Cat brand and will allow Yamaha to have more control over the areas of the sled that they are better at.

Yamaha is great at most everything except for the chassis and suspension which is Arctic Cat's specialty. The marriage of an Arctic Cat chassis and suspension with Yamaha's engine, clutches, & electrical / electronics with Yamaha oversight and influence on build quality, should result in a most excellent sled. Let's just hope that there is not a divorce before they can work through the issues and produce the sled that we know they can and should provide.

Anyone know if the AFR are leaner or richer with the new flash?

I don't have gauges so I can't confirm for sure, but I'm pretty confident that it's richer below engagement rpm's. I'm not sure about mid-range or top end.

I'd really be curious to see some before and after AFR data from someone with gauges though. I think the issue with getting this data is that those with gauges aren't running stock fueling due to other mods.

You guys are going to love this one.... took my sled to my dealer in Bismarck ND.... reverse not working... does in warm weather but still grinds... anyway printed out the new flash update and the service manager says he doesn't have the tool to do it.... mind you they sell and service Yamaha snowmobiles...he says the tool is $1500.00 dollars and he only gets a few request a year.... wow nice, wonder if I should call Yamaha customer service.

You guys are going to love this one.... took my sled to my dealer in Bismarck ND.... reverse not working... does in warm weather but still grinds... anyway printed out the new flash update and the service manager says he doesn't have the tool to do it.... mind you they sell and service Yamaha snowmobiles...he says the tool is $1500.00 dollars and he only gets a few request a year.... wow nice, wonder if I should call Yamaha customer service.
That don't make sense . i though they needed to have the YDS tool to work on them.

That don't make sense . i though they needed to have the YDS tool to work on them.
Time for a call to Yamaha customer service and time for a new dealer IMO!

Any dealer that thinks that they do not need this tool to properly support their customers does not deserve to be in business IMO!

If they don't have the computer to access the dealer YDS site this dealer should be fired. Ridiculous.

Only dealer 100 mile radius, and they own that one in Minot ND... probably not much better...

I certainly would call Yamaha customer service and make them aware of this unacceptable situation with their dealer who is tarnishing the sterling Yamaha brand reputation. I also would not patronize that dealer any longer with any parts, accessories, clothing, service or new machine purchases.

I understand that you do not have any other convenient Yamaha dealer choices based on where you live, however parts, accessories & clothing are available from other Yamaha dealers on the internet and I'll bet that a local Arctic Cat dealer could service your Viper no problem.

The bottom line here is that your dealer needs to face some sort of a negative consequence from you, others and most importantly Yamaha in order to convince him that this sort of poor customer service is completely unacceptable! I would suspect that Yamaha requires it's dealers to purchase this tool and to provide this service. Please call Yamaha customer service and complain and please let us know what their response is. Good Luck!

Update... there Minot store does not have one either time to call Yamaha... Nice to know I bought the extended warranty and I get to work with them for the next four years .

Back