• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
Update... there Minot store does not have one either time to call Yamaha... Nice to know I bought the extended warranty and I get to work with them for the next four years .
Agreed! My advice to you is to be polite yet firm when you call Yamaha regarding your dissatisfaction with these two ND dealers. I would ask Yamaha how they expect you to receive the service that they promise on their website when they allow their dealers to operate in this manner. Please let us know what they tell you. Good Luck!

Yes I agree too. You would think if they have 2 dealerships they should at least have one of these tools to share between them. It's the cost of being in that business.

Ok, called Yamaha customer service.... zero help.... said its up to the dealer if they want to buy the tools or not.... my dealer is listed as a Pro Yamaha service department... WOW... nice to know I bought the YES warranty and get to deal with these fine folks for years to come.... on the bright side I did locate a dealer 125 miles away that has the tool and is very willing to help... now I just need to make a 250 mile trip and pay for gas and my time.... I should sent Yamaha the bill... LOL

But this is not like any other tool, this is required.

Ok, called Yamaha customer service.... zero help.... said its up to the dealer if they want to buy the tools or not.... my dealer is listed as a Pro Yamaha service department... WOW... nice to know I bought the YES warranty and get to deal with these fine folks for years to come.... on the bright side I did locate a dealer 125 miles away that has the tool and is very willing to help... now I just need to make a 250 mile trip and pay for gas and my time.... I should sent Yamaha the bill... LOL

Well, I would certainly tell your local worthless dealer that not only will you be hauling your sled 125 miles to get properly serviced, that you will also make that same trip when you purchase your parts, accessories, clothing, and new sleds going forward. If he doesn't care about that, then he will have proven beyond any doubt that he does not deserve your business!

I agree... I explain to the Yamaha customer service the tool and what it's used for and she just repeated they do not need to buy the tool

I agree... I explain to the Yamaha customer service the tool and what it's used for and she just repeated they do not need to buy the tool

Well we are in need of more snow, but if you ever get down to the Black Hills to ride stop by Sturgis Motorsports. They are an excellent Yamaha and Cat dealer and will fix you right up.

IMG_2786.JPG

I've had the reflash done on my bone stock 2014 Viper XTX. Starts on second turn of the key when cold.........first turn when warm.......both with only a couple seconds of cranking. Rode most of this season at -30C or -22F. As a matter of fact the majority of my total miles are in these kind of temperatures. I always cycle the fuel pump. I do not have any speedo issues. I have already replaced under warranty the chaincase, starter, reverse motor, and one heated handgrip. Chaincase was in the first 400 miles and was not tightened from the assembly line. Sled now has 9000 miles on it.....not kms.....and going strong !! Top speed recorded this season was 95MPH verified by GPS. Still on the original battery. Changed OEM belt for piece of mind at 75oo miles. Never lost more than 2 days for any of these warranty repairs. Nothing else but once a year regular maintenance, carbides and sliders. Love this machine and love my dealer !! I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones !!

Last edited:
Got my 2016 reflashed a couple weeks ago. In Quebec this week, 4 tries to start at 18 deg, 3 at 30 deg. Better loading in trailer, that's the only good thing. Also just shut off twice after running for about 5 seconds?????? Not feeling confident at all. Want my old flash back.

Flash done at beginning of season and I haven't had an issue with it not starting. I noticed after the flash it seemed to turn over slower and not as rapid? Maybe giving the motor time to find optimum fuel/air mixture at top dead center. (This was always the case with my yz250f) I let the fuel pump and computer cycle. The dealer said originally not to stop cranking at first sign of fire and let off when it fully starts. If that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Viper 3600 miles.
Had 2016 flash done about a month ago. Takes two to four tries to start now warm and cold, back fires out the exhaust so loud some times it scares the sh*t out of me.
I had the hard hot start , miss fire and stumble at 2600 RPM, took out the starter at 800 miles starter was replaced on warranty but did not realize the charge system was not working properly at low RPM til 2 weeks ago ( 2 months off warranty) when working on trails ( lots of low speed and idle) voltage dipped to 11.2 at idle. I took it apart my self because i didn't want big labour bill and yamaha to not warranty it. The stator is damaged from broken starter gear tooth. Looks like the mechanic missed it when changing starter.

I bought this sled because it had the time tested bullet proof motor and this is what i got LOL . Now i am EMBARASSED to attempt to start it in front of my riding buddies and anyone else that might be around to see the 4 attempt start with a big back fire.

Phoned Yamaha to register my complaints and they could not find my name, phone # ,or address in their system. WTF.

If this is the best yamaha / cat can do after 3 Years and 3 attempts to fix it, its time to start looking at the other two brands because these companies are clearly incompetent or don't care.

YAMAHA it is time to bite the bullet and fix these vipers properly . Like thats going to happen now!

YAMAHA MAKE MY MOTOR RUN LIKE AND START A 2014 FUEL INJECTED MOTOR SHOULD RUN!!

Rant over , not happy. edc out.

Have a 2016 stx dx, had the reflash done last week.. A bitch to start now when its cold.. When its warm its fine.. Big yamaha fan. Always was an owned many.. But really getting pissed at this
Hey, I have the 2014 ltx and starts like crap now, no kickbacks though. I have to try at least 3 times hot or cold yet my buddy has the rtx and starts mint, his wife has ltx and starts same as mine. Downloaded the dealer procedure for the ecu reflash and they have 3 different flash each for rtx,ltx,xtx. Anyone have more to add on this...need to resolve this...could this have something to do with it? Dealer just said u have to do 2 full pump cycles when starting...doesn't work...freaking BS man !

There is not 3 different flashes for each anymore. There was 3 attempts over the years to get it right. Once the newest is released there is no option to put a older one in. You are stuck with it. Yes there is variances from sled to sled. Thought is something else may be wrong other than flash. Throttlebody Sync or bad Map sensor are other things to look for. Others think the flash itself can be corrupted. On this latest measures were taken to avoid that though and still same variances. Personally I would not get the new flash unless mine had a history of Kickbacks which the newest flash was designed to avoid. If mine had a history of kickbacks I would get it right away and live with the 2 start procedure since it's better than pieces of starter and gear in your oil pan.

Dealer told me he was concerned Yamaha would not cover any future starter issues if the reflash was not done. Mine was actually good starting before the flash but I made the mistake hoping to get improved idle. No confidence in mine. Had someone interesting in buying mine but he lost interest as mine is a 2016 and he has a turbo to install off his wrecked sled. Thanks Yamaha. Got me twice on this sled.

Dealer told me he was concerned Yamaha would not cover any future starter issues if the reflash was not done. Mine was actually good starting before the flash but I made the mistake hoping to get improved idle. No confidence in mine. Had someone interesting in buying mine but he lost interest as mine is a 2016 and he has a turbo to install off his wrecked sled. Thanks Yamaha. Got me twice on this sled.
There are many 16.5 new motors that do have good rods. Hopefully yours is one of them. Read all the info. Hurricane and others found if one rod was good all were in a motor so it's possible to check one by removing Sidecover. Push your dealer to get that inspection covered from Yamaha. Hoping for a recall of NA sleds and suspect the flashes are not over. In meantime I hope you can have some fun on your sled and make best of a bad situation.

Back