• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sr Viper 2016 flash poll and Thread

Let us know how your Viper start when cold with the new ECU flash

• start instantly

Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Now it take 2 attemps to start

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • start better than before

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • no difference

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • My speedometer is now unaccurate

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • Has your sled stalled since latest flash

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Has Your sled had a extremely loud backfire since flash

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
There is not 3 different flashes for each anymore. There was 3 attempts over the years to get it right. Once the newest is released there is no option to put a older one in. You are stuck with it. Yes there is variances from sled to sled. Thought is something else may be wrong other than flash. Throttlebody Sync or bad Map sensor are other things to look for. Others think the flash itself can be corrupted. On this latest measures were taken to avoid that though and still same variances. Personally I would not get the new flash unless mine had a history of Kickbacks which the newest flash was designed to avoid. If mine had a history of kickbacks I would get it right away and live with the 2 start procedure since it's better than pieces of starter and gear in your oil pan.

OK, thanks for the insight...I actually did end up with gear stew in my crankcase and it was sudden without warning. Like I said though, his wife has an ltx like mine and both hers and my ltx are really hard starting after the flash, his rtx starts mint hot or cold. I thin
There is not 3 different flashes for each anymore. There was 3 attempts over the years to get it right. Once the newest is released there is no option to put a older one in. You are stuck with it. Yes there is variances from sled to sled. Thought is something else may be wrong other than flash. Throttlebody Sync or bad Map sensor are other things to look for. Others think the flash itself can be corrupted. On this latest measures were taken to avoid that though and still same variances. Personally I would not get the new flash unless mine had a history of Kickbacks which the newest flash was designed to avoid. If mine had a history of kickbacks I would get it right away and live with the 2 start procedure since it's better than pieces of starter and gear in your oil pan.

OK thanks...still weird that the rtx starts first shot every time after the update and both LTX sleds take at least 3 tries and they are shitty starts. Yes I made gear stew with mine already, last season and it was without warning.

My observations after 650 miles with the '17 flash on my 2015 Viper:
  1. Often takes 2 attempts for first start of day
  2. Allow pump to cycle on warm restart and starts are flawless
  3. Idle is smoother than before
  4. 2600 RPM stumble is VERY noticeably reduced
  5. Speedo matches GPS within 1-2 MPH
I did have one backfire on a second attempt start at 50f at the end of the trip. On this event, I intentionally cranked for several seconds into the failed first start attempt. After that, I didn't turn off the key, just started cranking again. As it fired, it also had a loud backfire.

Going forward, my start procedure will be turn key on to prime pump. Begin cranking and stop if it fires, but stalls. Turn key off until gauges power down. Turn key back on, prime, crank. I'm quite confident that I'll be happy with this procedure.

Yes, I would like it even more if cold starts didn't take 2 attempts, but this is better than it was before and if it really saves starters it's well worth the trade off.

I'm not going to flash my 2015 LTX Viper...it always starts with less than a second of cranking and it idles pretty darn smooth. It's also has never kicked back. There has to be something other than the ECU mapping that is making others Vipers start and idle poorly..
My problem only happens at 40 below.

So what if it takes 2 attempts. Sometimes my car does too at -20-30 below. If it saves the starter, I'm in. A lot of my cars have a little lope at idle. Why not my sled too? I figure, do it or wish you did.
The way that i see it, there's a learning curve to every machine. This one has a very minor learning curve.
The very linear, smooth, and can be explosive power, of this trail machine is what I wanted. It delivers!
I think we need to stop splitting hairs and enjoy. I know I do. Don't buck technology, embrace it.

I wouldn't call it splitting hairs nor should we be embracing this technology. The starter issue has lingered on way too long especially when you have two manufacturers involved. It's going on model year 5 without a definite fix.

With that being said, I've been a cheerleader of having no starter issues with only an occasional hot start problem with no kickbacks on our 2014. I never did a reflash for a couple reasons. One being that I didn't see many issues and the second being how bad the first reflash seemed to be for many. That all changed this year. The starter crapped out over 2 days. Had a kickback one day after a hot start and some not so comforting sounds during starts after that. Eventually I decided not to shut it down again until we were near an area to pick it up. Shut it down at the more convenient spot and as expected, it was all done. No comment really on the new flash yet. I've started it once since back from the dealer in 40-50 weather and it started on the first try and idles fine. I have changed my opinion on the flashing. I would do the latest even if you have not had issues. If the 2 start attempts in the cold is true, I'll take it over replacing another starter, though I do find it a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it splitting hairs nor should we be embracing this technology. The starter issue has lingered on way too long especially when you have two manufacturers involved. It's going on model year 5 without a definite fix.

With that being said, I've been a cheerleader of having no starter issues with only an occasional hot start problem with no kickbacks on our 2014. I never did a reflash for a couple reasons. One being that I didn't see many issues and the second being how bad the first reflash seemed to be for many. That all changed this year. The starter crapped out over 2 days. Had a kickback one day after a hot start and some not so comforting sounds during starts after that. Eventually I decided not to shut it down again until we were near an area to pick it up. Shut it down at the more convenient spot and as expected, it was all done. No comment really on the new flash yet. I've started it once since back from the dealer in 40-50 weather and it started on the first try and idles fine. I have changed my opinion on the flashing. I would do the latest even if you have not had issues. If the 2 start attempts in the cold is true, I'll take it over replacing another starter, though I do find it a bit ridiculous.

Mine took 2 tries at 50, 3 at 30, 4 at 18 degrees. IMO we should not be making excuses for this as this motor started perfectly for many years in Yamaha built sleds.

Looks like my starter went after the latest flash...started fine in morning and went to fire up again and nothing...power and fuel pump cycles but doesn't turn over...could be weak battery (new one on way) or cable corrosion but expecting the worst.

How would the new flash effect a power commander? I have the 15 flash with an ulmer tune for intake and exhaust just wondering if anyone knows of it will throw my tune way off

How would the new flash effect a power commander? I have the 15 flash with an ulmer tune for intake and exhaust just wondering if anyone knows of it will throw my tune way off
I don't think anyone with an AFR guage has done the 2017 flash and reported on it yet. I'd love to hear the results myself too.

From my experience, I'm pretty confident that the 2017 flash is richer at the bottom (between idle and engagement). I didn't notice any performance difference from it once going down the trail though.

Bet ULmER knows. Mine starts and runs too good to take a chance. Tempting though. Hope I don't regret passing.

My dealer flashed mine as soon as I bought it. Never really had a chance to ride it before the flash, but sometimes it starts great, sometimes it takes a couple of tries. Once it took 4 times to stay running. Other than that, it runs amazing and the idle is pretty steady. It sure doesn't run like the Nytro, but it's good.

I'm assuming Cat is using the same flash as Yammie...

Ok I will go get the flash tomorrow. Keep in mind mine runs and starts perfect. Cant remember last time it didn't start by a 2 count and that's with no prime. Get on turn the key. I am also going on a 4day ride fri morning. Last one for the season. Am I safe? Is my ride going to be ruined?

From what I understand, I'd rather have to crank it over more than once occasionally instead of having to have an expensive repair. My buddy had his kick back and chew itself up and even though Yammie covered the cost of parts, it still cost $. I bought mine used and I doubt Cat would help me too much $$$$$$. Have a great ride Cannondale!

Back