• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SR Viper or Sidewinder

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
Let me set the stage. I have been out of the game for the last 9 years. My boys were state wrestlers so my winters were spent in gyms all across Ohio during the winter months (would not have traded that for anything). So now its over and I'm looking to get back into this money pit. My last sled (still have) is an 02 Viper but I'm looking at spring ordering a new sled. The 2 sleds I'm going back and forth on are the 50th edition L-TX-LE Viper and SW. I have read a lot of post regarding both sleds and I'm sure I would be really happy with either as most are. So I just turned 55 (not that it matters). My history is I've been riding sleds since the 70's (scorpion superstingers) but serious riding starting in the early 90's. So for about 15 years riding in the UP and Canada logging over 45,000 of what I consider aggressive trail miles. So here it is, will I be happy with the Viper on top end? The horse power on SW is more than I need but I would like to be at least what the 02 viper was on top end. Will the 18 Viper be comparable to what I'm coming off or do I need to go to the SW. Any comments will be welcolmed...fire away!

Two far different sleds in the HP dept....If you want the top end speed you need SW.

Another huge thing to consider that might not be obvious unless you have been in the game last few yrs, is the Viper did not get the NEW plastics this yr. It still has the old style plastics, much more work to remove off sled, and NO LED headlight and NO LED accent light up front. Just for these reasons alone I would go with SW. Not too mention the roller secondary clutch in SW and not in Viper.

Only reason I would go Viper is if you are tight on cashflow, and in that case you may consider finding leftover vipers as I dont think there were many changes at all, and seems to be lots of good deals on 17s, or maybe even 16?

Dan

My vote is sidewinder. Even if you are not a big power guy the sidewinder is worth the extra money for the fact that it has a Yamaha ECU and electronics running it.

I had a viper and loved the ride, but went back Nytro as it was a much better running motor when powered by Yamaha brains. The vipers have Cat ECU's in them and they are very inconsistent.

When sidewinder came out I bought one and it was due to the Yamaha brains running the engine...not because it was the most powerful sled. I only got about 700 miles on it but I absolutely love it. Perfect match between the two companies.

Depends on the riding you do. Here in mn we have a 50 mph speed limit (sucks). No place to go 100 plus. On tight trails viper seems to have better throttle response down low and is a tad lighter ( not that that really matters) and no turbo lag. Tight trails I'd go viper. High speed rail grades and lakes sw. Both great sleds Can't really go wrong. Ps 3 vipers in our group 2 14s and 1 16. They all run great.

Sidewinder hands down !!! By the way it sounds from your description the Sidewinder LE and you'd be back in the game like you never left. The Viper is a great machiene, I had no issues with it, except top speed, it's not the motor itself I beilieve its the electronics. Now the Sidewinder is a diffrent animal, from my experience it's better handling and definatly way more power. You can cruise at 50kmh without a hickup or sputter, (it just runs so good) or you can hammer down and have a blast at your will. And it looks fantastic !!!

Having just ridden a SW from a Viper, SW without a doubt in the world. It does absolutely everything the Viper does, and lots the Viper can't. Unless you can live wih the Viper top end or are short on money ( and if you're buying new it can't be that much difference) don't bother with the Viper. And I have one. But my heart has been stolen and yours would to.

So ask yourself if you can picture a day where you would be sitting on the Sidewinder and thinking, "I wish I'd bought a Viper". Now reverse that. There's your answer!

2017 prices are being slashed as we speak, if you don't need a spring order.

I had an 02 Viper than spring ordered a 2014 Viper and stuck $2000 in it and rode it for 2 years. My problem was I could barely hit 90 mph before mods. I almost bought a turbo so there is another $3500. So I decide to save my money and get what I was trying to make my Viper do. I spring ordered a Sidewinder and better shocks and monster motor that has no lack of power any where I ride. It. Warning corners on trails come up faster than the brain has time to react. No regrets with my purchase. I think you will be much happier with the SW.

I'm pretty friggin old..but I won a lot of stuff , sponsored by YMC...in the 70's at a high level.

I too was out of it mostly due to sons sports....like you for many decades..

So I started riding the 99 Phazer again 4 years ago in my new Muskoka location.

Soon discovered I was falling behind in 4/ and long track technology...so..new 2016 STX 146 with a 1.25 and got rid of the old man windshield.

I have no interest going off trail..I live beside a lake so I can carve there..but rare..

One tiny clutch change and we gained 26 KPH.

Never been a high HP guy on the trail..but...I have not been left behind yet with this sled..

If your smart...SW is not that much faster than a Viper for the cost...

I love all the old man features..to heated seat..

I got 130 HP...they have 180 HP..not much more getting to the track than mine..

I am very close to 70 and have no problem riding 5 to 6 hrs a day on this sled..

I have a 17 Viper Rtx-SE and I feel it has more than enough for trail riding. Punch it at 50 kph and the track just spins. Can't see that being any better on a SW even if it's studded. I don't have the aggressive past you have but on trails I've never been able to do more than 115 kph (70 mph). The viper gets there "Right Now". Lake running would be something else.
Also consider insurance costs. Here my provider was very leery of the SW. Figured I was going to kill myself.
The viper is light years from your old sled.

Thanks for the replies, all have valid points. First I'm not interested in a model older than a 17. I did place a few calls regarding the 0% financing but I'm only interested in the LE model in red and there are none to be found. So its gonna be a spring power surge order for either the viper or SW L-TX LE 50th (red). After making calls on 18 prices I found there is only $2100 difference in cost on the viper vs. SW.

RockerDan, your points on the LED headlight and taillight, roller secondary clutch and ease of panel removal all make that $2100 difference smaller. Plus I might add the shocks on the SW are Kashima coated (whatever that means) but are an upgrade vs. the viper.

Hibshman and Pstn Head, I've read a lot about the reflash on these vipers but just didn't understand the whole thing but now I think I do. You guys bring up electronics and the ECU unit, so I put 2 and 2 together (just a dumb redneck here).

ViperBill, 95% of my riding has been/will be done in the UP and Ontario Canada.

RJH, heated seat is a must!

bleedyamaha, Exactly, I don't want to be cruising down a trail 80/90 and be wot! I want to run that speed with ease with a little more if needed. I love reading the trail, not signs and ride within myself, never over my head. High wide and handsome on lefties, inside and tight on righties.

1nc2000, would that be the 11th?

keep em coming guys, I'm starting to lean to one side but I wanna hear more...Thanks in advance, Dennis!

Team Lazy, missed your post, but your second sentence was a "power quote". Well done!

Your 02 Viper accelerates when you squeeze the throttle at 75mph. You feel it. If you know what I am talking about buy the Sidewinder because you will not feel that on the Viper without spending a lot more $. If you don't know that feeling then you won't miss it and would be more than happy with a Viper. Either sled will have you riding more miles comfortably than your current sled. Save some $ for skis on either. Don't blame you for wanting the 50th colors. They sure are sharp.

Cannondale27, I do know that feeling, very well! That is my worry with the Viper. Not interested in putting money into a sled to get it where I would like it! I'm not one to mod a sled, it will stay stock.

Onto the demo ride. I am coming UP on the 11th and staying in Pine Stump thru the 15th. One last ride on the 02 viper. Wont get into Pine Stump until late afternoon Saturday. So my question is are the demo rides going to happen on Sunday the 12th as well? I sure hope so as I would love to demo both the viper and SW.

Back