• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter motor, or starter gear shot?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Vector LTX GT.
WEBSITE
www. Moosehead Lawn Care.com
YAHOO
colemanbodemer@yahoo.com
Just got my motor running pretty good in the garage. And some times when I was going to start it, it would be cranking over, the motor would ketch, then die. Like the starter was not turning long enough, to make the motor start. Any ways, after a while the motor started, ran it a little bit in the garage to make sure every thing was working well. Shut it off. Then went to start it again, and now all I am hearing is a hum, like the starter motor is spinning, but it is not spinning the primary clutch. Note the primary clutch is not spinning at all, when the humming noise is on. Need some wisdom on this problem as what it could be.

Last edited:

I just went out side, as I had the battery charging. Still just the hum. And I tried by hand to spin the primary clutch forward, the way it spins and I can turn it. Now I can not spin the primary backward, some thing is bound up. Wondering if it is the starter, or starter clutch/gear?

Hoping you guys will be able to tell me what is wrong with my sled.

Good grief! This sled does not want you to enjoy sledding this season. o_O
Sounds like the starter clutch is a miss.
Yeah, that is what the guy said. How do you go about fixing this? How much is a new starter clutch? Also, what about the primary clutch bound up, if you where to spin it in reverse direction? So sick of working on this thing.

Sorry. Never had to work on the starter clutch.
Yup, it is fine. Just was hoping some guys could tell me what to do. And what is going on with it.

I've never had to work on/fix one (knock on wood) but they are a one way roller setup. So, I'm guessing it's stuck engaged, & with the engine running it's burnt up the starter, & since it's still engaged that's why you can't spin the engine backwards.

HOWEVER.... you don't want to be turning the engine backwards due to the cam chain tensioner. This can cause bad things to happen (sprockets/cams jumping time, bent valves, etc)

I'd PM Grizztracks if I were you. He's a God on these engines.

I've never had to work on/fix one (knock on wood) but they are a one way roller setup. So, I'm guessing it's stuck engaged, & with the engine running it's burnt up the starter, & since it's still engaged that's why you can't spin the engine backwards.

HOWEVER.... you don't want to be turning the engine backwards due to the cam chain tensioner. This can cause bad things to happen (sprockets/cams jumping time, bent valves, etc)

I'd PM Grizztracks if I were you. He's a God on these engines.
Ok, thanks. I do know now not to spin the motor backwards. Been doing research on this. Just wondering, so you are thinking the starter is the only this shot? Based on the systems? Or do you think it could be the starter clutch? I have no clue on this problem, first time it has happened to me. I like it to be the starter vs the starter clutch. As from what I have heard both jobs are not fun, but the starter clutch, you have to take the side of the motor off to get to it.

Man, I really don't know what to say. I'm just spitballing. It just sounds to me like it's stuck engaged, & if so, the starter itself is now fried.

Again, get ahold of Grizztracks. He's a guru.

When you turn the key to start do you hear the starter humming, or is just an electrical system hum? Hard to describe........

If you hear the starter spining then it sounds like your one-way starter gear is junk. If you just hear a hum, STOP turning the key! Your starter is froze and all you're doing is hurting your electrical system. This happened to me last year on my 14 Vector LTX. What happened is that the starter relay fried and the starter was spinning while the sled was running. I shut the sled off on the trail. It would not turn over when I went to restart it......just a hum. Had to get towed in and my trip was ruined.

When you turn the key to start do you hear the starter humming, or is just an electrical system hum? Hard to describe........

If you hear the starter spining then it sounds like your one-way starter gear is junk. If you just hear a hum, STOP turning the key! Your starter is froze and all you're doing is hurting your electrical system. This happened to me last year on my 14 Vector LTX. What happened is that the starter relay fried and the starter was spinning while the sled was running. I shut the sled off on the trail. It would not turn over when I went to restart it......just a hum. Had to get towed in and my trip was ruined.
I think it is like what you just described. I sent Grizz a PM, and he said to jump the starter relay and see if it will start. Going to try this. My brother already had to replace his starter relay, cost him like 80-90 dollars from what I remember. The hum I am hearing is more quite, than the starter spinning, it is like what you just said. So you had to replace you starter relay, and starter motor, as the was the problem with you sled?

Man, I really don't know what to say. I'm just spitballing. It just sounds to me like it's stuck engaged, & if so, the starter itself is now fried.

Again, get ahold of Grizztracks. He's a guru.
I sent him a Pm last night. Thanks again Catman!! He said it could be the starter relay, or starter motor. But it could be the one way bearing, and starter clutch.

On the 08 Vector I purchased used the starter was replaced. The dealer/mechanic (one man shop) said that the oil seal failed and filled the starter with oil.

On the 08 Vector I purchased used the starter was replaced. The dealer/mechanic (one man shop) said that the oil seal failed and filled the starter with oil.
Huh. That must have been a freak thing to happen. From what I have found, they all get stuck on, that that is how they get cooked. Is that a freak thing what happened to yours?

Back